Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Steering worse after bushes replaced on steering arms

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
RickZ4

Post by RickZ4 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:43 pm

Hi

I know this touches on an old theme but I'm coming from a slightly different angle...

After replacing the RFT's when I bought the car, I've not had any steering issues. I haven't found time to replace my rocker cover gasket so paid my indie to do this for me. It was brought to my attention that the steering arm bushes (not sure which) needed replacing. This made sense to me because I've always heard a clunk when driving slowly over a ramp.

I authorised this work to be carried out and now have the '65 mph twitch' on smooth tarmac, particularly on bends. The steering wheel tugs backwards and forwards. I've not had the wheels and alignment checked yet because the steering was just fine before it went in. Assuming that messing with the rocker cover doesn't affect the steering(..!), replacing the bushes is the obvious culprit.

I've read the other threads where it seems that this type of problem can be caused by one or more different factors, but is it a fair assumption that messing around with the steering arms would cause this? Is there anything obvious that might have been neglected during the process? I am going back to my indie this week and would appreciate any comments before I go.

07 2.5i Sport Auto

andyfanshawe

Post by andyfanshawe » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:09 pm

Hi Rickz4.
Its highly recommended that any suspension work (including the obvious track rod ends) needs an alignment afterwards.
Even just resetting the steering angle sensor on a scan tool as a minimum requirement.

Always a good insurance anyway.
Andy.

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:30 pm

Echoing the above I'd get a four wheel alignment done on hunter equipment. May as well get the balancing done whilst you're there. Never hurts and I'd say the most likely to be causing grief.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Greg 01

Post by Greg 01 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:10 pm

Hi guys .
I recently had my front rear bushes , wishbones , drop links , arb and rear springs replaced on the car and afterwards it's was pretty much a wayward thing on the motorway.
I took if for a 4 wheel alignment and now it's so much better I had the readout from last year and then compared it to the new one and there was a big difference. The rear was way out although only the springs was replaced.
The front was also way out although the adjustment on the front wasn't touched
So any parts replaced front or back can cause problems , lesson learned .
Nachtblau metallic 3.0 si auto ,cup holders , whippy back on :thumbsup:

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Post by hopz121 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:01 pm

As others have said try alignment.

Go to a recommended company though who know what they are doing kwikfit usually don't !
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

RickZ4

Post by RickZ4 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:54 pm

hopz121 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:01 pm As others have said try alignment.

Go to a recommended company though who know what they are doing kwikfit usually don't !
Thanks, people. That's a fairly unanimous verdict :thumbsup: Can anyone recommend an alignment company in the Bournemouth/Dorchester area?

I was also wondering if the tyres might be struggling with adjusting to a new tracking angle.
07 2.5i Sport Auto

vester86

Post by vester86 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:10 pm

Why don't they do an alignment standard after replacing half of the suspension??? My Z4 has had 3 alignments in 2 weeks due to replacement parts ( & the fact that i took it home halfway for a weekend off)