Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bumper replacement problems

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Bahnstormer

Post by Bahnstormer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:02 pm

I must be getting old, as I'm replacing the bumper on my Z4 2003 2.5, but having a few problems:

> Headlamp sprayer removal: It looks like you need to remove the body coloured cap , then slide the unit out of the bumper, does anyone know ow to remove the cap ?
> Bumper side clips: my clips have broken, and part of the clips is stuck in the - any idea how to remove it ?

Thanks All,

:D
:driving: "Tower, this is Bahnstormer, requesting a flyby !"
08 Silver Coupe 3.0si

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:16 pm

You have to activate the pump to drive up the washer head, then grab it with pliers or similar, the cap unhooks from the top of the unit, but go steady the diamond shaped clip on the top can break quite easily.
cap.jpg
cap.jpg (9.48 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
& previous thread :thumbsup:

viewtopic.php?t=37929
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:15 pm

Ewazix wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:16 pm You have to activate the pump to drive up the washer head, then grab it with pliers or similar, the cap unhooks from the top of the unit, but go steady the diamond shaped clip on the top can break quite easily.

cap.jpg

& previous thread :thumbsup:

viewtopic.php?t=37929

And if the diamond bit doesn't brake the cap might :headbang:

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:10 am

You can get your fingernails underneath the cap and gently pull it up. I found that removing the diamond bit from the pump easier than the cap (keep the cap and diamond bit together).
Good luck.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Bahnstormer

Post by Bahnstormer » Wed May 03, 2017 9:11 pm

Thanks All - i can easily pull the cap up, but it is just getting the ca to separate from the spray nozzle (without breaking !)

The left hand side wing clip was missing, so had to order that, plus some clips for the lower grille.

Then its just case of getting the bumper lights and wing to align, and set the gaps. I also need to get broken half clip out of the wing before replacing it.

I also think I am going to stick the front plate on (ie NOT use the plinth) as the spray job is so nice !
08 Silver Coupe 3.0si

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:16 pm

I used some plastic trim removal tools (and a bit of swearing) to remove the broken bits of the clip out of the wing when I replaced both side clips. As they're already stuffed it doesn't really matter what you do to them as long as you don't damage the wing.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Bahnstormer

Post by Bahnstormer » Mon May 08, 2017 8:44 am

Thanks for all the posts so far. Just waiting on another side clip, and headlamp repair brackets before full reassembly.

Still haven't got the headlamp sprayers out yet, but should be ready to start again this weekend or one evening.

enzed4 - thanks for the tip - I need a trim removal tool anyway so will order that.
dhobbs - do you mean remove both the diamond AND the cap together ?
08 Silver Coupe 3.0si

Bahnstormer

Post by Bahnstormer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:33 pm

Thanks all, got them off and back on OK - cheers.

Still trying to find a xenon headlamp though :(
08 Silver Coupe 3.0si

Bahnstormer

Post by Bahnstormer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:14 am

Found some Xenons , thanks to Volumex65 here on the forum, and they are now on , and working , which is great.

Just a small problem with the headlamp washers to sort , and I should be back out there !
08 Silver Coupe 3.0si

Bahnstormer

Post by Bahnstormer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:17 am

enzed4 wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 9:16 pm I used some plastic trim removal tools (and a bit of swearing) to remove the broken bits of the clip out of the wing when I replaced both side clips. As they're already stuffed it doesn't really matter what you do to them as long as you don't damage the wing.
I ended up breaking the clip out carefully with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers.

The new clip just clips into the wing and a careful bang with your fist clips the bumper neatly back into the bottom of the clip :)
08 Silver Coupe 3.0si

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:18 am

Bahnstormer wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:17 am
enzed4 wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 9:16 pm I used some plastic trim removal tools (and a bit of swearing) to remove the broken bits of the clip out of the wing when I replaced both side clips. As they're already stuffed it doesn't really matter what you do to them as long as you don't damage the wing.
I ended up breaking the clip out carefully with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers.

The new clip just clips into the wing and a careful bang with your fist clips the bumper neatly back into the bottom of the clip :)
Where did you get the clips? BMW want £30 EACH for them...

Mike

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:43 am

Bahnstormer wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:14 am Found some Xenons , thanks to Volumex65 here on the forum, and they are now on , and working , which is great.

Just a small problem with the headlamp washers to sort , and I should be back out there !
The lights you have are my old ones I think. Sold them to volumex65 about a month ago when I changed mine to post facelift ones. Not sure why he didn't fit them but I'm glad they have gone to good use. Did you have to change your lcm or did you just have your existing one coded?
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

volumex65

Post by volumex65 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:47 am

MACK wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:43 amThe lights you have are my old ones I think. Sold them to volumex65 about a month ago when I changed mine to post facelift ones
I got them as I thought mine would fail the MOT - didn`t , so passed them on to someone who`s need was greater than mine :thumbsup:
You don`t need a parachute to skydive - you only need one to do it for a second time :exitright:

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:56 am

volumex65 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:47 am
MACK wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:43 amThe lights you have are my old ones I think. Sold them to volumex65 about a month ago when I changed mine to post facelift ones
I got them as I thought mine would fail the MOT - didn`t , so passed them on to someone who`s need was greater than mine :thumbsup:
What was the issue with your lights?
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

volumex65

Post by volumex65 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:05 pm

MACK wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:56 amvolumex65 wrote: ↑Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:47 am
MACK wrote: ↑Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:43 amThe lights you have are my old ones I think. Sold them to volumex65 about a month ago when I changed mine to post facelift ones
I got them as I thought mine would fail the MOT - didn`t , so passed them on to someone who`s need was greater than mine

What was the issue with your lights?
The drivers side wouldn't self level but occasionally it would after a few minutes driving , thought the easiest solution was a replacement (1 or both) , but car passed , and so far has been good as gold :?
You don`t need a parachute to skydive - you only need one to do it for a second time :exitright: