Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replace Bonnet Catch..

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
k31ron

Replace Bonnet Catch..

Post by k31ron » Tue May 02, 2017 11:15 am

Like many others I’ve had a few problems with my bonnet catch not releasing and taking some persuasion to open, having extensively de-gunged and lubricated a couple of times, its now fine at opening, but takes a few “goes” to close now.

….however on the commute to work this morning the bonnet catch released on its own and the bonnet started to flap about (still on the safety catch), pulled over and closed it again but I’m a bit concerned that something has worn and its just not locking as well as it should.

Anyone replaced the bonnet catch? Is it a pain to do?

Lance

Replace Bonnet Catch..

Post by Lance » Tue May 02, 2017 12:45 pm

When you pull the bonnet release lever, is there any resistance, as in it's trying to release the catch? Or is the lever loose as if it's attached to nothing?

If the latter, I had this issue a couple of years back, was this..........The bonnet release cable is in two parts, first goes from the lever to a small junction box that's located just in front of the water bottle (mines a 2003 2.5), standing at the front looking into the engine bay it's clearly accessible and visible behind the top of the headlight and in front of the water bottle. Within the junction box is a small sliding mechanism to which the release cable attaches to, the second cable to the bonnet is attached to the same mechanism. However, on mine the junction box became detached from the body work and therefore the inner gubbings couldn't work as the whole unit was moving. Simply reattached to the body and all was well again.

Good luck.

k31ron

Replace Bonnet Catch..

Post by k31ron » Tue May 02, 2017 1:37 pm

Lance wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 12:45 pm When you pull the bonnet release lever, is there any resistance, as in it's trying to release the catch? Or is the lever loose as if it's attached to nothing?

If the latter, I had this issue a couple of years back, was this..........The bonnet release cable is in two parts, first goes from the lever to a small junction box that's located just in front of the water bottle (mines a 2003 2.5), standing at the front looking into the engine bay it's clearly accessible and visible behind the top of the headlight and in front of the water bottle. Within the junction box is a small sliding mechanism to which the release cable attaches to, the second cable to the bonnet is attached to the same mechanism. However, on mine the junction box became detached from the body work and therefore the inner gubbings couldn't work as the whole unit was moving. Simply reattached to the body and all was well again.

Good luck.
Thanks Lance, mine has a bit of freeplay when you pull the lever then it catches just at the end of the pull and opens, will take a look though at the area you highlighted

DaveZ4richardson

Replace Bonnet Catch..

Post by DaveZ4richardson » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:39 pm

Strangely my bonnet has popped open 3 times today whilst out on the road, I had to push it firmly down to ensure it closed after the third time, I am a little concerned that I may end up denting the bonnet I have to push it down that hard to ensure it stayed locked. Will check my catch and the gubbings as in Lance's post. Frustrating :headbang:
DaveZ4richardson :thumbsup:
3.0i 2003 E85 auto cruise control, smart top module.