Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

HVA Tick

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
JakeGT

HVA Tick

Post by JakeGT » Sat May 06, 2017 1:22 pm

So at the 100k mark I've developed the HVA tick. I'm guilty of short journeys as I only live 2 miles from work but always gave a good run out of the ticking appeared.

I've always ran 0w-30 Castrol Edge but would changing to a 5w-30 help?

Stumping out for a head change is not something I'd be willing to do, I'd rather live with the noise or sell the car 😥

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

HVA Tick

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat May 06, 2017 1:42 pm

Different grade may help, may not. It's not an issue I would worry about selling over. I occasionally get it and think your driving style on short journeys may make more difference than the oil grade, changing up early and keeping the revs low seems to make it happen more frequently.
I run 5w-30 so all I can suggest is to take it for a longer run every now and then.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

JakeGT

HVA Tick

Post by JakeGT » Sat May 06, 2017 7:20 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'll report back if it makes any difference.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

HVA Tick

Post by Smartbear » Sat May 06, 2017 7:24 pm

Hi, as Steve says above ^^
Your 2 mile journey is doing the car no favours-it won't even be up to temperature in such a short run & wont burn any condensation from the engine oil. Try changing it more often :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

JakeGT

HVA Tick

Post by JakeGT » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:52 pm

Just to update I changed the oil but didn't make a difference so dropped a can of Wynns lifter treatment and surprisingly it's made the tick disappear for now :o

Thermaltake

HVA Tick

Post by Thermaltake » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:03 pm

My coupe does it every now and then as I also only have a 5-10 minute drive to work. Slow town traffic, Never above 30/40 etc.

It seems inconsistent, Can spend all week doing short journeys to and from work and gym etc all week. No tick.

150 mile round trip in an evening and it will start the tick a couple of days later for no reason and sometimes just at random.

Is usually fairly quiet and in mines goes away very quickly, Usually 30sec after start up or so. Ive learnt just to ignore it now. No issues in the couple thousand miles ive owned it.

The worst I heard was a montego blue coupe I went to view. Sounded like a skeleton having a w**k in a biscuit tin for 5 minutes then sounded smooth and no issues after that. Was still put off the car though. It was the coupe on 19's, im sure in stockton that was on sale for 6 months odd. must of sold by now.