Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

orange warning lights

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
domsz4

orange warning lights

Post by domsz4 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:46 pm

on the m6 yesterday and the bloody orange DSC and brake light came on for the first time in months. im guessing from the last time this was the case its one of the pressure sensors on the master cylinder which was the case last year before it just went off.

then the damn engine light came on.

the car seems to drive ok its not missfiring or lacking any sort of power but the light persists. im guessing its a sensor on the engine.
does anyone think they are linked? or is this just a sensor on the engine failing. I cant find my BMWcables thingy so am prob going to have buy another.

(oh and my drivers cup holder broke)
Proud Whip owner ;)

ESP

orange warning lights

Post by ESP » Tue May 09, 2017 11:11 pm

I also have this, but it only started when i replaced my battery.
For me it comes on 5 - 10min into a journey. Ive had someone test it with a code reader and no errors.
I haven't yet taken it to BMW, i suspect its a false warning, but i would love to know what others have discovered previously.
07 Sapphire Black Roadster.

Russ59

orange warning lights

Post by Russ59 » Thu May 11, 2017 11:48 pm

I had these on last week. I read a post on here to tap the pressure sensors on the brake master cylinder, so I did and the lights went out, don't know if the plug on the end works loose.
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler

DaveZ4richardson

orange warning lights

Post by DaveZ4richardson » Sat May 13, 2017 10:36 am

20170422_153416.png
20170422_153416.png (808.69 KiB) Viewed 952 times
This the lights your on about? They come and go on mine too. I've attempted tapping the sensors to no avail. Bought a cheap diagnostics tool from a well known shopping site and think it's deffo a pressure sensor fault. See below. Possible dodgy brake fluid too!!
Screenshot_20170513-103451.png
Screenshot_20170513-103451.png (833.37 KiB) Viewed 952 times
DaveZ4richardson :thumbsup:
3.0i 2003 E85 auto cruise control, smart top module.

csquire4

orange warning lights

Post by csquire4 » Sat May 13, 2017 10:45 am

Don't be tempted by he cheap chinese sensor replacements from eBay. My replacement was from Ocean BMW (via eBay) for £92, a mechanic will fit in 5 mins and then 10-15 mins bleeding the clutch. No problems since. Now I've tempted fate !! :headbang:
2004 3.0i, manual, toledo blue

domsz4

orange warning lights

Post by domsz4 » Sun May 14, 2017 5:18 pm

i have those two yes. and when i last looked with the obd reader from BMWcables it showed one of the the two sensors as faulty. knowing where it is and being handy with the spanners ill just change it myself. but i never got round to it last year and then it went off and has been fine since ... till the other day.

the light i have permanently is a little engine symbol next to traction control light (not the EML light)
Proud Whip owner ;)

George7

orange warning lights

Post by George7 » Sun May 14, 2017 5:34 pm

Guys
Just had the same after changing calipers discs and pads. Bled the brakes after changing calipers and everything was fine. Then after 10 miles got the dsc and handbrake light come up orange as per the picture.
Put it on snap on diagnostics and it indicates a bleed problem with the dsc control. Solution is to pressurise brake fluid reservoir with a bottle of brake fluid that forces brake fluid into the reservoir and bleed each corner when the diagnostics programme tells you to, it runs the dsc pump and forces fresh fluid around the system I' m lucky partners son is a mechanic and has all of the tools to do the job, so unfortunately you'll need to book into a garage that has the right gear, it only took half an hour to do, without removing wheels, but be very careful of corroded bleed nipples, take your time and get plenty of wd40 or penetrating oil on them before you attempt to loosen them.
Once complete lights are now out and have fresh fluid all round!
George
X5 30i
530 GT
420 M Sport Plus Grand Coupe-hardon karmon,19" alloys, pro nav, sun roof
Z4 2.5 Roadster, cruise, xenons, sports suspension, red leather, heated seats, heated folding mirrors, aux fitted, 107s, roof motor in boot.

George7

orange warning lights

Post by George7 » Sun May 14, 2017 5:47 pm

Guys
Forgot to mention engine management light coming on as well! Seems Zs of a certain age show the same problems! I suspect you E M L is a cat Oxygen Sensor on the way out, mine was Bank one after cat, but be very careful if buying from parts shop or eBay to get the right one. Can be as little as £23 to buy but the best way to buy is to get the original part number of the sensor by taking the offending one out, you' ll need a 23mm spanner and some grunt but again fixed the pro gem.
George
X5 30i
530 GT
420 M Sport Plus Grand Coupe-hardon karmon,19" alloys, pro nav, sun roof
Z4 2.5 Roadster, cruise, xenons, sports suspension, red leather, heated seats, heated folding mirrors, aux fitted, 107s, roof motor in boot.

domsz4

orange warning lights

Post by domsz4 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:45 pm

i wondered if it was a o2 sensor as the idle is reasonably lumpy when cold. had similar with a v6 mundano only isse was getting to the rear sensor between engine and bulkhead!

anyway i had a poke with the diagnostic tool and reset the error log thinking that it would show up as the first error. now all is fine even with a quick drive! i think it was a bit of crappy fuel as i didnt fill at my usual station and it was 95 not 98 ron
Proud Whip owner ;)

DaveZ4richardson

orange warning lights

Post by DaveZ4richardson » Sun May 14, 2017 9:52 pm

George7 wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 5:34 pm Guys
Just had the same after changing calipers discs and pads. Bled the brakes after changing calipers and everything was fine. Then after 10 miles got the dsc and handbrake light come up orange as per the picture.
Put it on snap on diagnostics and it indicates a bleed problem with the dsc control. Solution is to pressurise brake fluid reservoir with a bottle of brake fluid that forces brake fluid into the reservoir and bleed each corner when the diagnostics programme tells you to, it runs the dsc pump and forces fresh fluid around the system I' m lucky partners son is a mechanic and has all of the tools to do the job, so unfortunately you'll need to book into a garage that has the right gear, it only took half an hour to do, without removing wheels, but be very careful of corroded bleed nipples, take your time and get plenty of wd40 or penetrating oil on them before you attempt to loosen them.
Once complete lights are now out and have fresh fluid all round!
George
Thanks George, mine does say brake fluid not ok and service manual says last change was 2008. It's getting changed this week.
DaveZ4richardson :thumbsup:
3.0i 2003 E85 auto cruise control, smart top module.