Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof issues...

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Joe4

Roof issues...

Post by Joe4 » Fri May 12, 2017 2:09 pm

Ignore my question about the diesel catching fire :lol: I just did a search and found a video of a motor running happily in a bowl of diesel.

Dietcokeman

Roof issues...

Post by Dietcokeman » Fri May 12, 2017 6:59 pm

No it won't catch fire ! Another check you could do before removing the motor , is simply swap over the hydraulic lines in the pairs they are in . This way if the motor is weak in one direction the systems will struggle to move the roof in the opposite direction from the way it struggles now .

Sgr74

Roof issues...

Post by Sgr74 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:53 pm

Ok, so I have tried most things now. Moved the motor to an upright position, topped up the fluid, removed the Bowden cable completely, checked the hydrolic lines.....no difference. Still needs a push to start and won't go all the way down. I removed the shelf completely to see if there was any obstructions and checked the folds.....no difference. What next?
Black 2.5 Roadie.

Sgr74

Roof issues...

Post by Sgr74 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:57 pm

Ive only just seen the previous post. That's next.
Black 2.5 Roadie.

Dietcokeman

Roof issues...

Post by Dietcokeman » Fri May 12, 2017 9:19 pm

Removing the Bowden cable removes the ability to operate the valve but if the valve is seized part open removing the cable won't solve anything . Lubricator the ball and tap it with a hammer , they seize , but with a little working in and out ( hammer tapping ) and lub they normally free up .

Sgr74

Roof issues...

Post by Sgr74 » Sat May 13, 2017 12:21 am

Dietcokeman wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 9:19 pm Removing the Bowden cable removes the ability to operate the valve but if the valve is seized part open removing the cable won't solve anything . Lubricator the ball and tap it with a hammer , they seize , but with a little working in and out ( hammer tapping ) and lub they normally free up .
The ball bearing moves fine. Lubed it when I relocated the motor. Not taped with a hammer yet. It soon may get more than just a tap. :x
Black 2.5 Roadie.

Dietcokeman

Roof issues...

Post by Dietcokeman » Sat May 13, 2017 5:03 am

When you say it won't go all the way down, what do you mean exactly ?

Dietcokeman

Roof issues...

Post by Dietcokeman » Sat May 13, 2017 6:13 am

The roof mechanism is put simply a set of folding arms each side of the roof that are cross braced and covered in fabric, this assembly has attached to it from new the roof motor and pump housed in a plastic bottle ., hydraulic line running around the frame to the rams and an electrical connection to the roof motor from the car.

The roof assembly is mounted into the car on two mounts that bolt with two bolts each side ,into the car behind the drivers and passengers door , in the rear door pillars . These mounts are where the hydraulic rams are attached to the roof mechanism. The roof fabric is extended and folded on this assembly when the roof opens and closes and is also bolted around the rear deck at its rear most point and latched onto the screen at the front most point.

At the front of the fabric section near the windscreen under the internal cowling on the roof is the unlatch mechanism that works solely on electrical power. This is separate from the hydraulic system that raise and lowers the roof .

The roof hydraulic system works with a hydraulic pump being driven by and electric motor attached to it that pumps hydraulic fluid down 4 lines to the hydraulic rams . Each ram mounted on the roof frame on the roof mounting points in the door pillars has two hydraulic pipes going to it , one at the top of the ram and one at the bottom . These hydraulic pipes feed the rams with hydraulic fluid one line at a time as the roof buttons are pressed, if the up button is pressed fluid is pumped down one of the ram pipes to fill the hydraulic ram with fluid, inside the ram is a piston that is forced to the opposite end of the ram , as it's forced away from the fluid entering the ram,it pushes the fluid on the other side of the ram down the other pipe and back to the hydraulic resoviour .

So with two pipes feeding the two rams, the fluid is simply pumped around the system either one way or the other to raise or lower the roof. The rams drive a toothed drive that is attached to the folding roof assembly .

So you press the down button, the roof electrical module sends a signal to drop the door windows, the roof unlatches at the front by electrical motor, and then the roof hydraulic motor kicks in and drives the pump which pushes fluid into the ram that drives the toothed drive which pushes the mechanism to fold away.

The mechanism has sensors mounted on the bolted section of the frame and on the folding section of the frame , these are Hall sensors that work on magnetic detection, when the roof is raised or lowered when the trigger points for fully up or fully down are reached these sensors should talk to each other to tell the roof module to stop the hydraulic operation and complete any other tasks, such as window raising or latch closing .

So if your roof is not working.....

First check the parcel shelf is in the down position , if it's up , the micro switch on the rear bulkhead is telling the roof module it's not safe to lower the roof so it won't . Then check the bypass cable ( red handle in boot ) if this is out even slightly the chance are the roof motor will run but it bypasses drive to the pump and the roof won't move .

Then it could be one of these.....

The roof module could be toast......never had one
The hydraulic pump could be knackered......never had one
The latch motor could be toast........never had one
The roof ( hall sensors ) are not talking to each other .........roof doesn't raise or lower fully........adjust sensors
Something is impeding the roof opening or closing fully ........remove obstruction
Hrdraulic pipe has failed, or resoviour is leaking ......keep having to add hydraulic fluid , roof works slowly ........replace or repair damaged pipe,or resoviour

Most likely though is the roof hydraulic motor which drives the pump. This is mounted on the side of the roof frame passenger side and the removal and repositioning is covered many times in other posts here. But essentially is a poor design and water ends up drowning the motor that drives the pump, remove , revive and relocate.

These motors are very robust and normal within a few minutes a dead motor can be brought back to life in a bath of diesel . Again many posts here on how to revive a dead motor , but you need to make sure you run the motor fully submerged in a diesel bath both ways of at least 5 mins. You should also make sure the bypass valve is free and not seized ( brass ball on side of pump housing ) and that the electrical connections on the base of the pump are nice and clean .

There is nothing too technical about the roof assembly and how it works, but working through a problem in a logical manor can save a lot of guess work . Getting to all the bits can be a challenge but if you search the forum most fixes can be found .

Some members here can help with issues, some will charge you some won't. But with some basic skills most of the issues on these roofs like motor revival and relocation can be done by the owner with a little time and effort .

Sgr74

Roof issues...

Post by Sgr74 » Sat May 13, 2017 1:19 pm

Dietcokeman wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 5:03 am When you say it won't go all the way down, what do you mean exactly ?
I bought the car with the roof not working. So I had never seen the mechanism in action. I revived and relocated the motor and it now works, but not perfectly. The roof unlatches and the motor lifts the roof slightly. Then there is a slight change in the motor noise and it struggles to go any further. If I give it a push, it goes down. When it gets down it stops about 20-25mm short of the latch. If I put it up about quarter of the way then down again a couple of times, it will then go down. Although it won't locate into the latch, but I'm going to remove the latch anyway. I think a change of motor is in order.
Black 2.5 Roadie.

Dietcokeman

Roof issues...

Post by Dietcokeman » Sat May 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Sgr74 wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 1:19 pm
Dietcokeman wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 5:03 am When you say it won't go all the way down, what do you mean exactly ?
I bought the car with the roof not working. So I had never seen the mechanism in action. I revived and relocated the motor and it now works, but not perfectly. The roof unlatches and the motor lifts the roof slightly. Then there is a slight change in the motor noise and it struggles to go any further. If I give it a push, it goes down. When it gets down it stops about 20-25mm short of the latch. If I put it up about quarter of the way then down again a couple of times, it will then go down. Although it won't locate into the latch, but I'm going to remove the latch anyway. I think a change of motor is in order.
When you say it unlatches and lift out slightly, is the roof clear of the unlatch process ? If not then you could do with checking the two unlatch hooks at the front of the roof assembly and lub them and put a small amount of grease of the lock bars located in the top of the screen section .

As for the locking down, if the roof is not going all the way down check for any obstructions on the parcel shelf and make sure the rear window section is folding away correctly , as sometime they don't, and this affected the final resting position . As for the actual lock down , early cars have a lock but later cars do not, they stopped around 2006 pre facelift but some facelift cars do have it .

Sgr74

Roof issues...

Post by Sgr74 » Sat May 13, 2017 6:22 pm

Dietcokeman wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 3:16 pm
When you say it unlatches and lift out slightly, is the roof clear of the unlatch process ? If not then you could do with checking the two unlatch hooks at the front of the roof assembly and lub them and put a small amount of grease of the lock bars located in the top of the screen section .

As for the locking down, if the roof is not going all the way down check for any obstructions on the parcel shelf and make sure the rear window section is folding away correctly , as sometime they don't, and this affected the final resting position . As for the actual lock down , early cars have a lock but later cars do not, they stopped around 2006 pre facelift but some facelift cars do have it .
It's clear of the front latches. I've opened the roof with the parcel shelf removed with the same outcome. It's frustrating because I want a gaptec module, but it's pointless if it doesn't work properly.
Black 2.5 Roadie.

Dietcokeman

Roof issues...

Post by Dietcokeman » Sat May 13, 2017 7:20 pm

Sgr74 wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 6:22 pm

It's clear of the front latches. I've opened the roof with the parcel shelf removed with the same outcome. It's frustrating because I want a gaptec module, but it's pointless if it doesn't work properly.
In which case it's either an obstruction, the roof not folding correctly, which it sounds like,as it does eventually go down . But it could be a hall sensor issue . When it doesn't go all the way down does the motor stop running and the windows go back up ?

Sgr74

Roof issues...

Post by Sgr74 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:45 pm

Dietcokeman wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 7:20 pm

In which case it's either an obstruction, the roof not folding correctly, which it sounds like,as it does eventually go down . But it could be a hall sensor issue . When it doesn't go all the way down does the motor stop running and the windows go back up ?
Yes the motor stops and they go back up. From inside the boot, with the shelf removed, the roof gets very bunched up. It's difficult to see if it's right or wrong. I am trying to work through all possibilities but every time you try something and think to yourself that should be it fixed now, and it's not, a little part of you dies. Or is that a bit over dramatic?
Black 2.5 Roadie.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Roof issues...

Post by MACK » Sat May 13, 2017 8:24 pm

Sgr74 wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 7:45 pm
Dietcokeman wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 7:20 pm

Yes the motor stops and they go back up. From inside the boot, with the shelf removed, the roof gets very bunched up. It's difficult to see if it's right or wrong. I am trying to work through all possibilities but every time you try something and think to yourself that should be it fixed now, and it's not, a little part of you dies. Or is that a bit over dramatic?
No its not over dramatic, it is soul destroying but on a postive it makes the feeling when you do eventually fix it all the sweeter!
I guess a process on elimination might be on the cards. Do you live near/know someone with a zed where the motors been reocated to the boot? If so a simple swap over to your car would confirm/eliminate if the motor itself is at fault. At least that would be a start. Have you checked for signs of any fluid loss, I'm just wondering if both hydraulic rams are Ok.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Sgr74

Roof issues...

Post by Sgr74 » Sat May 13, 2017 8:35 pm

I know one other person close by but his motor is still in the bucket of death. You can get a hold of roof motors easy enough but the hydrolic part not so much. Even speaking to BMW got me nowhere. They want to "book it in for an inspection" =£££££££££££. I will fix it. I don't tend to give in easily. It's just p***ing me off.
Black 2.5 Roadie.