Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 key on the blink

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
DMC63

E85 key on the blink

Post by DMC63 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:49 pm

I pressed my key buttons tonight to get in the car and it didn't open first time as it usually does. Took a few clicks. Before it opened. I tried all the buttons, boot, central lock and unlock. Same, took a few clicks on all buttons. I was under the impression that these keys charge while in the ignition. The car starts first time and doesn't cut out.
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

E85 key on the blink

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun May 14, 2017 2:14 pm

I had locking and window issues when my (car) battery was on its way out. Just because it starts doesn't mean it's fine. Where in London are you, can put it on my CTEK if you want.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

DMC63

E85 key on the blink

Post by DMC63 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:04 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 2:14 pm I had locking and window issues when my (car) battery was on its way out. Just because it starts doesn't mean it's fine. Where in London are you, can put it on my CTEK if you want.
Hi Steve. Surely if my car battery was on its way out it would have more of a problem starting the car than opening a lock. Does the key charge when it's in the ignition? Could it be the key? My neighbor is AA. I'll get him to have a look at the battery. Thanks for the offer to come out and have a look but I don't want to put you out when the AA lives over the road.
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

E85 key on the blink

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun May 14, 2017 10:28 pm

Not in my experience, I had issues with the car sometimes needing more than one key press to open and the windows not always dropping or raising when open/close the door. New battery fixed it but it started fine every time.
The key does charge in the ignition, so you can put it on a toothbrush charger to do it off the car. It could also be that but worth giving the car battery a charge to see if it solves it when full.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Callahan

E85 key on the blink

Post by Callahan » Mon May 15, 2017 6:12 pm

One of my keys completely died (as in wouldn't unlock the car) but would still start the car. The rechargeable battery has a "life" and mine had expired. Mine's an '03 same as yours so 14 years old, so I sent the key off and had the battery replaced which cost about £25. Came back good as new!