Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My Z4 has dumped hydraulic fluid on driveway

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Pembroke

Post by Pembroke » Sun May 14, 2017 7:12 pm

Hi everyone,

Earlier this week when leaving for work, I noticed a large pool of oil under the rear of my 2008 Z4. Turns out to be the hydraulic fluid for the roof motor. Any ideas on the cause and possible repair needed? I live in Suffolk near the Cambridgeshire and Essex boarders' any recommendations on a mechanic in my area? Thanks for the help!

Pembroke

Post by Pembroke » Sun May 14, 2017 9:45 pm

Off to Liverpool next Saturday; booked in with ducklakeview. Now all I need is tickets to LFC last game of the season......

SonnyA85

Post by SonnyA85 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:02 am

roof motor may need a refurb rather than just topped up.

get it relocated into the boot. be wary that wiring can be fragile and corrode too.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Mon May 15, 2017 11:06 am

Could be the roof motor, but also one of the lines or one of the actuators. Anywhere in the system really there could be a leak.

To find it the top probably has to come off.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon May 15, 2017 12:01 pm

It'll probably be a busted line. I do have spares and can replace any of them without the roof coming out.

Mike

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon May 15, 2017 12:02 pm

SonnyA85 wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 11:02 am roof motor may need a refurb rather than just topped up.

get it relocated into the boot. be wary that wiring can be fragile and corrode too.
I have done a LOT of these and never seen a wiring issue, or a faulty pump. It's always the motor that gives up.

Mike

Jas- USA

Post by Jas- USA » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:01 am

DuckLakeview

A/k/A

Mike

1st, read your post on getting the top motor thru the trunk (your boot) & tried it myself. Although, it's a tight fit I was able to pull her out in about two hours. Here's my problem, one of the Hydraulic lines feel's like a dog chew toy and must have been getting chewed up by the top frame every time I used it for years. I'm guessing the stress of me pulling it out must have finished it off. In that, I can now feel wet oily liquated on the line and it smells oily.

The old motor is now in the trunk/boot---- exactly how hard is it for me to change either the top (with the clip) or the lower with a screw hydraulic lines from the trunk/boot. I'm going to have to trace the Dog chew Toy line back and find which line it is. This is from the USA drivers side, your passengers side.

I read on another source that the lower line attachment screw can strip out....have you had any issues with this?

Mike, I'm 64 years old, and based on your fees, I'd have you do this for me if I could.....but it's that Ocean between us.

Thanks in advance

John

Pembroke

Post by Pembroke » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:54 pm

A belated thank you to Mike who sorted my roof motor in Liverpool in May. He's restored my confidence in the roof motor, which I'm now using as much as possible😀