Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Issues with Wipers

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Meady

Issues with Wipers

Post by Meady » Mon May 15, 2017 3:17 pm

So i've hit my first issue.. :headbang:

Was driving to a meeting this morning with the wipers on as it was raining hard and they started to stick slighly each wipe. I didn't think much of it until they suddenly stopped working in the upright position. Pretty scary when you're surrounded by lorries on a wet motorway!

I drove until safe to pull over, turned car off and back on again and they worked, but continued to stick every now and then, had to keep putting them on and off again.

I managed to make it home but was scared they would stick again.

Any ideas what could be the issue?
Current - 2003 E85 3.0
Gone - 2010 E89 35is
Gone - 2005 E85 2.2

coupedan

Issues with Wipers

Post by coupedan » Mon May 15, 2017 5:03 pm

Will be grease on the contacts inside of the motor.

I had a similar issue with mine in that I pressed for "one-wipe" and it kept on going until I turned the car off!

If you are pretty handy with a screwdriver, it is pretty simple to pull the motor out and clean the contacts which should resolve your issue.

bz4kev

Issues with Wipers

Post by bz4kev » Mon May 15, 2017 6:31 pm

As above had same problem you need to remove and clean points in motor there should be no grease between points wiper arms are a pig to remove good soak of wd40 will help there are some really good threads on this just do a bit of research first it's not a hard job even for a novice glop :thumbsup:
2004 z4 30i auto Toledo blue stubby Areo front back sideskirts and rear spoiler M/// MFSW DLV exhaust mod mma tips vanos overhaul 108s refurbed ram air scoop E46 M3 heated seats clear rear lights M/// sport black grills

Meady

Issues with Wipers

Post by Meady » Tue May 16, 2017 10:46 pm

Thanks All

I have literally zero skills with a screwdriver (and zero tools too!) so will need to ask my local mechanic to do this. Might get him to give the car a once over too whilst i'm there as recently purchased.
Current - 2003 E85 3.0
Gone - 2010 E89 35is
Gone - 2005 E85 2.2

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Issues with Wipers

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue May 16, 2017 11:11 pm

It's just a thought OP, but maybe check the blades are the right size before doing anything else!

Late 2014 I bought a 325ti Compact with a new MOT. The first time it rained the wipers collided with each other! :o 3 or 4 sweeps later they had had enough of that, so took some time out!

A bit of research revealed that it should have a 21 inch on the driver's side and 20 inch on the passenger side, but the previous owner had it serviced at a Unipart garage and they just stuck a 22 inch on the driver's side! Odd number sizes do seem hard to find for some reason, so I just stuck a 20 inch on instead which has been fine ever since. :lol:

Hope you get it sorted. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black