Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rust!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Roundozo

Rust!

Post by Roundozo » Tue May 16, 2017 1:39 pm

I post this with mixed feelings.

My coupe has developed rust in the boot (a common coupe issue) and also two spots on each rear wing.

I thought as my car is about to run out of its corrosion warranty I may as well ask BMW if they will repair it. After a few phone calls back and forth plus sending proof of my service history (independent, not BMW) they called me back today.

The good news.....they will be replacing my boot. The entire lid. Happy days. There are a few paint swirls and scratches around the boot release so I'll be happy to see these gone.

The bad news......both rear arches seem to have abnormal paint depths so they will not cover them as they appear to have been repaired in the past.

To sum up then... well, I'm happy to be fair. Wasn't expecting much especially as it's an 06 car so one year left on warranty. Her service history is there but by independents since 64k. Looks like I'll need to sort the wings out myself but I'll get a new boot in the process.

So...if you've got a Z4 (born after 1st Jan 2004 and she's within 12 years old) with a bit of rust. Give them a call.

P.s I just rang my local BMW repair centre directly rather than going though call centers.

Annnnnd lastly. Does anyone know if the roadster rear wings are the same as the coupe? It would make sense for manufacturing purposes. My two options are get them repaired (obviously hasn't worked before) or buy some second hand. There seems to be loads of roadster rear wings so wondering if they'll transfer.
Past - Z4 Coupe, gone but not forgotten
Present - 530d M sport touring

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Rust!

Post by firebobby » Tue May 16, 2017 2:10 pm

Photos of the rust on the wings would help. As for repair, it depends how deep the rust is in the metal. A good body shop should be able to sort it out for you.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

dgm

Rust!

Post by dgm » Tue May 16, 2017 2:35 pm

Where was the rust on the boot lid? I'll need to have a close inspection of mine.
06 Z4MC, Sapphire black, Aero sideskirts, BMW strutbrace, CSL's, Remus back boxes, Intravee and Alpine DAB

Roundozo

Rust!

Post by Roundozo » Tue May 16, 2017 2:49 pm

If you open the boot to its full extension and then look up. If you Google "BMW Z4 coupe boot rust" there are a few examples on there (although some seem severe).

Firebobby - rust doesn't seem too deep, it's slight bubbling on one side, in centre of the arch and where it meets the rear bumper on the other side. Realistically how much would that cost though to fix? £150-£200? More? Rust is evil and it might come back again. Just wondering if it's cheaper to just replace with second hand wings.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Rust!

Post by mmm-five » Tue May 16, 2017 2:53 pm

Roundozo wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 1:39 pm My coupe has developed rust in the boot (a common coupe issue) and also two spots on each rear wing.

I thought as my car is about to run out of its corrosion warranty I may as well ask BMW if they will repair it. After a few phone calls back and forth plus sending proof of my service history (independent, not BMW) they called me back today.

The good news.....they will be replacing my boot. The entire lid. Happy days. There are a few paint swirls and scratches around the boot release so I'll be happy to see these gone.
I had the same on my coupe boot, and also suggested out the pooling of water on the bottom on the rear screen as a culprit.
Roundozo wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 1:39 pm Annnnnd lastly. Does anyone know if the roadster rear wings are the same as the coupe? It would make sense for manufacturing purposes. My two options are get them repaired (obviously hasn't worked before) or buy some second hand. There seems to be loads of roadster rear wings so wondering if they'll transfer.
Nope...coupe only...and are £377.92+vat from what I can see on my insurance repair estimate.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Roundozo

Rust!

Post by Roundozo » Tue May 16, 2017 3:05 pm

Bugger. That's that idea scuppered then. Just checked realOEM and yeah, different part numbers.

Looks like I'm going down the repair route then. Will see what my local man has to say on the matter.

As a side note, it would be good to get some of these wings side by side to compare the difference. Surely there aren't many. It's probably a just a few tabs or bolt holes moved around.

Newbers

Rust!

Post by Newbers » Tue May 16, 2017 3:27 pm

I recently had a new rear wing on my coupe. As I recall the part was about £400 from BMW. Paint was about the same again (with aero sills)
Coupe, KW coil overs, PSB limiters, Powerflex ARB bushes, 18" CSL reps, Aero skirts, ZHP leather knob, Whippy and proud. Probably needs a wash :roll:

Roundozo

Rust!

Post by Roundozo » Tue May 16, 2017 3:37 pm

Newbers wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 3:27 pm I recently had a new rear wing on my coupe. As I recall the part was about £400 from BMW. Paint was about the same again (with aero sills)
Ouch. I love my coupe but that's beyond my current financial ability due to impending change to my lifestyle.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Rust!

Post by firebobby » Tue May 16, 2017 3:45 pm

It will be a lot cheaper to repair, doesn't sound terminal. I would take it to a decent body shop and see what they say. Modern rust killers do just that, kill the rust :)
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

dgm

Rust!

Post by dgm » Tue May 16, 2017 5:38 pm

Roundozo wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 2:49 pm If you open the boot to its full extension and then look up. If you Google "BMW Z4 coupe boot rust" there are a few examples on there (although some seem severe.
Thanks, I'll give it a look.
06 Z4MC, Sapphire black, Aero sideskirts, BMW strutbrace, CSL's, Remus back boxes, Intravee and Alpine DAB

Roundozo

Rust!

Post by Roundozo » Tue May 16, 2017 7:08 pm

Car is going in for MOT on Friday 2nd so I'll speak to my mechanic and see who he can recommend for bodywork.

Car is also booked in on 7th June for its brand new boot. :D

srhutch

Rust!

Post by srhutch » Tue May 16, 2017 7:12 pm

Did they give you paint depths on the wings?

It will vary between horizontal and vertical plans. Normal thickness would be around the 130 microns mark.

Roundozo

Rust!

Post by Roundozo » Tue May 16, 2017 7:22 pm

They did do paint depths but I've not seen them. I will ask to see them when I'm in on the 7th.

Steve84N

Rust!

Post by Steve84N » Tue May 16, 2017 8:06 pm

They refused a replacement on my bootlid and said the bird bath was nothing to do with it as it's a bonded screen so the seal is cosmetic. They sprayed some thin black matt paint over the area and just under a year later now that's peeling off. Will have to go back soon before my warranty is up (56 plate).
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Roundozo

Rust!

Post by Roundozo » Tue May 16, 2017 8:56 pm

Mines 56 too so get in there quickly.