Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Camshaft position sensor

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
greg1953

Camshaft position sensor

Post by greg1953 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:20 am

Yet another problem...engine management light comes on, scanner states Camshaft position sensor exhaust so I bought a new one and fitted it yesterday, cleared the code and went for a drive, after 50ish miles the lights back on and the scanner says the same thing..any ideas ? surely the new one hasn't failed.
Greg

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Camshaft position sensor

Post by Ewazix » Sat May 20, 2017 12:00 pm

Did you fit a genuine CPS? aftermarket sensors generally seem to cause problems on BMW's
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

greg1953

Camshaft position sensor

Post by greg1953 » Sat May 20, 2017 12:49 pm

Ewazix wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 12:00 pm Did you fit a genuine CPS? aftermarket sensors generally seem to cause problems on BMW's
Febi Bilstein £25ish

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Camshaft position sensor

Post by Ewazix » Sat May 20, 2017 2:08 pm

greg1953 wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 12:49 pm
Ewazix wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 12:00 pm Did you fit a genuine CPS? aftermarket sensors generally seem to cause problems on BMW's
Febi Bilstein £25ish
This is the problem with cheaper aftermarket sensors, you will now spend time and money chasing other possible causes, but with a nagging concern it's still the sensor. I replaced my blower FSU with a cheap one off ebay and it just didn't work at all :cry:

It's also worth checking the connection plugs just to eliminate any damp/corrosion.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Camshaft position sensor

Post by MACK » Sat May 20, 2017 2:52 pm

Without wishing to worry you unnecessarily this is one of the symptoms you can get when there are issues with either vanos/valvetronic or the timing chain/tensioner.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Camshaft position sensor

Post by MACK » Sat May 20, 2017 3:07 pm

Just to add to this, both camshaft sensors are actually the same part. To eliminate the sensor just swap them from one side to the other and see if the fault code moves across with it. You will definitely know if its the sensor or something else that way. Once you have ruled out the sensor you could try moving the solenoids across in the same way, there also easy enough to remove and are again the same part. If the fault stays on the same side of the engine then you need to be looking deeper, I would be then listening for excessive noise from the timing chains/tensioner etc, especially from a cold start
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

greg1953

Camshaft position sensor

Post by greg1953 » Sat May 20, 2017 4:38 pm

MACK wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 3:07 pm Just to add to this, both camshaft sensors are actually the same part. To eliminate the sensor just swap them from one side to the other and see if the fault code moves across with it. You will definitely know if its the sensor or something else that way. Once you have ruled out the sensor you could try moving the solenoids across in the same way, there also easy enough to remove and are again the same part. If the fault stays on the same side of the engine then you need to be looking deeper, I would be then listening for excessive noise from the timing chains/tensioner etc, especially from a cold start
Will try this tomorrow,
cheers.

greg1953

Camshaft position sensor

Post by greg1953 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:21 pm

greg1953 wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 4:38 pm
MACK wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 3:07 pm Just to add to this, both camshaft sensors are actually the same part. To eliminate the sensor just swap them from one side to the other and see if the fault code moves across with it. You will definitely know if its the sensor or something else that way. Once you have ruled out the sensor you could try moving the solenoids across in the same way, there also easy enough to remove and are again the same part. If the fault stays on the same side of the engine then you need to be looking deeper, I would be then listening for excessive noise from the timing chains/tensioner etc, especially from a cold start
Will try this tomorrow,
cheers.
Just tried swapping the sensors, still reads exhaust..now what ?
PS where are these solenoids ?

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Camshaft position sensor

Post by MACK » Sat May 20, 2017 6:08 pm

greg1953 wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 5:21 pm
greg1953 wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 4:38 pm
Will try this tomorrow,
cheers.
Just tried swapping the sensors, still reads exhaust..now what ?
PS where are these solenoids ?
There item number 1 on the following link, easy to get at (one bolt and small bracket as shown in the link) and they just pull out.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=11_3296

To be honest if that doesn't swap it over its starting to look like a chain/tensioner issue at this point as the vanos/valvetronic issues normally flag codes that say vanos or valvetronic this or that. The chain/tensioner is a common fault unfortunately on that engine, the only positive is the engine is whats know as "none interference" so unlike some engines that when they have timing chain/belt issues can smash the valves and pistons together, this can't happen on the BMW N46 2.0 engine. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport