Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DSC / ABS lights on INPA code help - M specific?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Wed May 24, 2017 9:50 pm

abar121 wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 9:38 pm
MrPT wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 10:13 pm
abar121 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 3:51 pm K+DCAN cable ordered. I'll wait and give it ago maybe with DIS, hopefully it will cover the M models.
INPA (not "old INPA", in case you have one of the all-in-one CDs) worked for me, with cable in K mode. No need to select other models... should work just fine on the M.

Hope it's not the dreaded "pumpenmotor defekt", but at least if you crack the INPA issues you can get an ECU T refurb and do the factory re-bleed yourself.
Thanks. Yeah, if I can get the error code and it is the pump, I'll do it myself. I'm using INPA version 5.0.6 from a VirtualBox installation, if that helps. I'm also based in the big smoke., East London, where abouts are you? Do you still have the software installed?

Thanks ,

Alan.
Hi Alan,

I'm in NW but afraid I don't have the software installed - was using an old window laptop I gave back to my dad after his broke.

Replacing the pump isn't too bad a job. Main thing I found was just to neatly label the brake lines and unclip them from any fixtures in the engine bay so you a bit more wiggle room. They are quite finely threaded and access to the pump is horrible, so it's quite difficult to line them up squarely when you reinstall.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

abar121

Post by abar121 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:01 pm

Hi,
No problem, thanks for the tips.

Cheers.
'07 Z4M Interlagos Blue. All options except extended leather.

abar121

Post by abar121 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:59 pm

Just to update this, I ended up using a K+DCAN cable with pins 7/8 connected, plus ISTA+ to get the Error codes. And yes, it's the pump motor, so I'll whip it out and send it to ECU testing.

FWIW INPA finally read the DSC60 unit, but produced no codes!

abar121

Post by abar121 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:40 pm

To close this thread, I sent the pump to ECU Testing who returned it a couple of days later. Apparently they replaced a couple of the brushes , cleaned up and it tested fine.

Not the easiest of jobs with limited access and brake fluid to deal with, but all done and working well.

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:25 pm

abar121 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:40 pm To close this thread, I sent the pump to ECU Testing who returned it a couple of days later. Apparently they replaced a couple of the brushes , cleaned up and it tested fine.

Not the easiest of jobs with limited access and brake fluid to deal with, but all done and working well.
Well done. Definitely not straightforward (and brake fluid is grim!). :thumbsup:
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone