Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DME / EWS Marrying

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
jesseicp

DME / EWS Marrying

Post by jesseicp » Sun May 21, 2017 8:07 pm

I've been working my way through a no start issue that started occuring immediately after removing the GM5 module for over a month now. I've installed the entire EDIABAS software suite, SSS and EasyDIS and have everything up and running with full connectivity. When I ran INPA and pulled diagnostics, it displayed that the DME had a "RAM check error". A little research shows that this is a common error displayed when the DME is failing. I attempted to use WinKFP to flash the DME to the newest software version as a last ditch attempt to fix it, and though the module took the update properly, resulted in no success.

Finally, I've purchased another DME module, same model number, installed and flashed it to the newest software version with WinKFP in hopes that this would "code" the module to my car. A little more research shows that due to the rolling code between DME, EWS and the key, the DME has to be virginized and synced to be able to be used in another car, which I cannot seem to figure out how to do.

I'm hoping that someone here could either point me in the right direction or point me to someone that could. I'm at the end of my abilities here and feeling very lost. If the car could start, or wasn't too low to easily trailer, I'd take it to the dealership at this point. If anyone has any information about where I should go from here, I'd be willing to pay for your time. I have TeamViewer setup on the laptop that I'm using for diagnostics and could even allow remote assistance if needed.

Thanks in advance for any assistance that anyone is able to provide!

Behr

DME / EWS Marrying

Post by Behr » Wed May 24, 2017 11:07 pm

I can't help with recoding as never delved this far into the usual software. I assume this is likely to be in WinkFP or SSS?

I seem to recall that I had an S50B30 DME modified to remove EWS altogether when I did the M3 engine transplant into an E30 a number of years ago. I'm sorry I can't recall who did the ECU mod, but it is doable. Whether you're happy to lose the immobiliser function provisioned by EWS is another matter.

In fact, for this reason I never got around to using it and instead got a DME, EWS module, key and key reader from a salvage M3 and retrofitted the whole lot into the car as a matching set. I built the M3 chip into the E30 key and modified the reader into the E30 column. It all just worked without any coding or messing, but I digress.

Might it be easier to get all these bits from a salvaged car if DIY coding isn't forthcoming? I would have thought the EWS and key would be a freebie on top of the ECU as they are useless on their own practically.
"It's got red seats and the roof comes off. What's not to love?"