Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Navigation DVD blocked

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Jezmilligan

Navigation DVD blocked

Post by Jezmilligan » Sun May 28, 2017 6:38 pm

Hi

New Z4 86 coupe owner here. Loving the car so far, nice replacement for my Elise S2 which I sold a while back.

I bought the car a couple of months ago and want to update the sat nav maps (they are about 5 yrs old). Assuming I could do this easily myself I bought 2016 OEM discs online. When I went to eject the current DVD I get the message 'Navigation DVD blocked'. I've searched the forum and elsewhere and can't find a way to unblock it. The sat nav works fine so it's not a fault. I believe it is a factory setting which is supposed to prevent anyone nicking your dvd. Any idea how I can switch this off so that I can update?

Thanks in advance!

Jez

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Navigation DVD blocked

Post by mmm-five » Sun May 28, 2017 8:20 pm

I had a look in the manual, but all it says is "If the DVD is not ejected from the drive, it may be blocked.".

It doesn't have any reference to how to block/unblock it.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Navigation DVD blocked

Post by markplant » Sun May 28, 2017 8:31 pm

I wonder if the disk that's in , is non original
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Navigation DVD blocked

Post by markeg » Sun May 28, 2017 10:23 pm

Isn't there a pin-hole in the front of the Nav DVD that allows for manual ejection?
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

srhutch

Navigation DVD blocked

Post by srhutch » Sun May 28, 2017 10:30 pm

markeg wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 10:23 pm Isn't there a pin-hole in the front of the Nav DVD that allows for manual ejection?
No.

One option is to disconnect the batter for 30 minutes. Get someone to press and hold the eject button whilst you reconnect the battery.

If no joy it's interior out to remove the DVD drive and then case off to remove disk. Had to do that myself when a disk wouldn't eject.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Navigation DVD blocked

Post by Chris_D » Mon May 29, 2017 4:36 am

srhutch wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 10:30 pm
markeg wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 10:23 pm Isn't there a pin-hole in the front of the Nav DVD that allows for manual ejection?
No.

One option is to disconnect the batter for 30 minutes. Get someone to press and hold the eject button whilst you reconnect the battery.

If no joy it's interior out to remove the DVD drive and then case off to remove disk. Had to do that myself when a disk wouldn't eject.
Blimey! What a faff.
So, just to clarify; this would have been a customer option from bmw so that paranoid owners who didnt trust the lock on the centre cubby or doorlocks would work to protect against theft of the nav dvd?
Bonkers.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

biojo

Navigation DVD blocked

Post by biojo » Mon May 29, 2017 3:11 pm

does the disc sound like its reading them stopping then reading n so on?

Jezmilligan

Navigation DVD blocked

Post by Jezmilligan » Tue May 30, 2017 5:19 pm

Thanks all. The disc sounds fine when it's loading and the car came with the OEM box from the same map version so I imagine the disc in is OEM. It seems like it's not a fault but is actually a deliberate setting, maybe so that only the dealer can perform the update and charge for it. I found this on the 5 series forum which seems to make sense. I'm at the dealer tomorrow so will see if they can sort it out.

From 5series.net:
Quote :
Originally Posted by vesil' post='528559' date='Feb 7 2008, 05:39 PM
Couple minutes with WDS helped. The rest is copy-paste from WDS (Only default pin hided):

Navigation system: DVD lock
The optional extra ?anti-theft protection navigation DVD? enables a DVD lock of the navigation DVD for corporate customers. The corporate customer vehicles are delivered ex works with this optional extra. Vehicles can also be upgraded by means of the Progman and then adjusted with this service function.

New vehicles are delivered with the following default settings:

DVD lock always active: the eject button is disabled.

Up to model year 03/2006, vehicles were delivered with the following default settings:

DVD lock with PIN query active.

The default 4-digit PIN is XXXX.

The 4-digit PIN is queried when the eject button is operated. When the PIN is entered, the navigation DVD is ejected.

This service function can be used to read out or change the settings of the DVD lock.

Activating or deactivating the DVD lock
The DVD lock has the three possible states described below:

DVD lock inactive: the navigation DVD is ejected when the eject button is operated.

DVD lock with PIN query active: the set 4-digit PIN is queried when the eject button is operated. When the PIN is entered, the navigation DVD is ejected.
This service function can be used to change the 4-digit PIN.

DVD lock always active: the eject button is disabled.
Thank You for the comprehensive information.

My situation was "DVD lock always active" so i have been today at my dealer and they unlock it.
I dont know how as they took the car in the service area of the premises where there is no customer access.

Anyway, i upgraded my 2007-1 dvd. I have now 2007-2(business) and i can say there is no significant difference. Does anybody know if there is a 2008-1 business version available yet?
I downloaded 2008-1 Pro with cams but when i insert the disc i get "DVD not recognised" on the CID.

Jezmilligan

Navigation DVD blocked

Post by Jezmilligan » Tue May 30, 2017 5:25 pm

Just found this on another site - it does seem to be a setting just to give the dealer more work! :headbang:
'If your vehicle indeed has the DVD lock always active setting enabled, the only way to disable it is with a factory BMW diagnostic machine at the dealer. They can hook the car up to the tester and change the setting for you. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there is no work-around for this.'

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Navigation DVD blocked

Post by mmm-five » Tue May 30, 2017 7:18 pm

2007-1 to 2007-2 won't be very different at all - about the only change is to update the maps for adding/removing roads, there won't be an spectacular graphic improvements.

Latest disc will be something like 'High 2017-01' - everything else will be 'unrecognised' (i.e. Business or Professional).
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

srhutch

Navigation DVD blocked

Post by srhutch » Tue May 30, 2017 8:32 pm

Jezmilligan wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 5:25 pm Just found this on another site - it does seem to be a setting just to give the dealer more work! :headbang:
'If your vehicle indeed has the DVD lock always active setting enabled, the only way to disable it is with a factory BMW diagnostic machine at the dealer. They can hook the car up to the tester and change the setting for you. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there is no work-around for this.'
This would be the first Z4 I've heard of with this enabled, if it exists. Unless you have a pin section on your screen I still believe it's another issue.

Unless you are under warranty I would find somebody else to code. Will cost a lot less then Bmw will want.