Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Throttle body - help!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
soma

Throttle body - help!

Post by soma » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:27 pm

Took the throttle body off(after working.out where it was!) shook it and as you suggested there was a faint rattle like a loose bit of plastic - replaced and everything runs beautifully. Thanks for help. Need to check ground points next to prevent reoccurrence.
Next stop - pressure sensors fault.......

synthedup

Throttle body - help!

Post by synthedup » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:54 am

Machine monkey wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 9:34 pm
soma wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 9:17 pm If it is the TB it'll be the third one we've had in the 5 years we've had the car. Think I'll try your route and get a second hand one- I'll have a look at the ground points-I'm still on original battery too which probably isn't great. I'll keep you posted, cheers for help

You have had 3 TB in five years?
If so it sounds just like what I had I had 3-4 in about 2 years. There will be a slight problem with a chassis earth.

The body reads 0-.5 volts if the earth is screwy the body can lose trak of where it is and say try to open close to far. This then brakes the plastic gear that drives the flap. Interestingly if you can close the flap on star up the car will start and run fine and drive fine until you switch it off.
Hi guys,

Where is the ground cable located? I'm having issues with my TB at the moment and could do with some help. Did the new one require any coding?

Thanks.

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Throttle body - help!

Post by Machine monkey » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:06 am

is your engine an m54? If so no need to code.

Ground cable i had trouble with was off the battery and connected to the chassis under the carpet. To the right of the battery box.
Also check the one in the engine bay.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

synthedup

Throttle body - help!

Post by synthedup » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:26 am

Machine monkey wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:06 am is your engine an m54? If so no need to code.

Ground cable i had trouble with was off the battery and connected to the chassis under the carpet. To the right of the battery box.
Also check the one in the engine bay.
Morning Matt,

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Its the 2.0 N46 engine, I'm hoping it just needs the code clearing to turn the engine management light out but i'm not confident in that :(

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Throttle body - help!

Post by Machine monkey » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:19 am

I have no knowledge of the engine.
But if you measure your earth straps (ground points) and get iffy readings it will play havoc with the electrics of your car. And could cause your TB to confuse its self. It reads voltage from 0-0.5v open closed. So if there is any disturbance in that it can try to open too far or close too far.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

synthedup

Throttle body - help!

Post by synthedup » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:18 am

Machine monkey wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:19 am I have no knowledge of the engine.
But if you measure your earth straps (ground points) and get iffy readings it will play havoc with the electrics of your car. And could cause your TB to confuse its self. It reads voltage from 0-0.5v open closed. So if there is any disturbance in that it can try to open too far or close too far.
Thanks Matt, I will investigate further :)