Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Zed won't start :( Help!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
GedS

Post by GedS » Wed May 31, 2017 8:40 pm

So drove my car to work this morning (startup was a bit poor, didn't spark on first couple of key turns, then started), when I came back to the car in the afternoon, it wouldnt start at all.

- Battery: All electrics are fine, windows, seat heaters, air con, lights etc, wipers run fine (haven't tested the voltage yet but will in the morning)
-Tried to jump & bump start, but nothing, just the gears catching, but no engine turnover at all
-Key "appears" to function ok. Unlocks the car, 1st 2 positions seem fine, and I did a method 2 sync which seemed to work, but wouldn't help the non start issue.
-I can hear the relay to the starter clicking
-I can hear the fuel pump (or at least what I think is the fuel pump when I turn the key

I'm now out of ideas, except for tw@tting the starter motor

Can any of you guys help and save me a packet?

Thanks in advance folks
3.0si 19" CSL's, CDV delete, K&N Air Filter, Powerflex Bushes
Work in Progress

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Wed May 31, 2017 9:17 pm

GedS wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 8:40 pm So drove my car to work this morning (startup was a bit poor, didn't spark on first couple of key turns, then started), when I came back to the car in the afternoon, it wouldnt start at all.

- Battery: All electrics are fine, windows, seat heaters, air con, lights etc, wipers run fine (haven't tested the voltage yet but will in the morning)
-Tried to jump & bump start, but nothing, just the gears catching, but no engine turnover at all
-Key "appears" to function ok. Unlocks the car, 1st 2 positions seem fine, and I did a method 2 sync which seemed to work, but wouldn't help the non start issue.
-I can hear the relay to the starter clicking
-I can hear the fuel pump (or at least what I think is the fuel pump when I turn the key

I'm now out of ideas, except for tw@tting the starter motor

Can any of you guys help and save me a packet?

Thanks in advance folks
Where are you based maybe someone could help with a code reader,I am know mechanic but my best guess would be coils
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

GedS

Post by GedS » Wed May 31, 2017 9:33 pm

Im based in stockport.

Ive just been reading up on ignition switch faults. Might try that. Would seem to fit the fault.... Its only position 3 that doesnt respond, so maybe??????
Work in Progress

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Wed May 31, 2017 9:43 pm

Sounds like it could be the starter motor too... if the starter relay is clicking ignition switch would be ok but not the starter , best to get a volt meter and start measuring :)

GedS

Post by GedS » Wed May 31, 2017 9:45 pm

fixit man wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 9:43 pm Sounds like it could be the starter motor too... if the starter relay is clicking ignition switch would be ok but not the starter , best to get a volt meter and start measuring :)
But would it not start when bump started if it was the starter?
Work in Progress

VRSteve

Post by VRSteve » Wed May 31, 2017 9:54 pm

GedS wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 9:45 pm
fixit man wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 9:43 pm Sounds like it could be the starter motor too... if the starter relay is clicking ignition switch would be ok but not the starter , best to get a volt meter and start measuring :)
Yup
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

GedS

Post by GedS » Wed May 31, 2017 10:03 pm

Therefore, not a starter motor??

I am mechanically retarded by the way . :oops:
Work in Progress

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:06 am

Yes it should ..if he got enough road speed up etc., also shouldn't the engine crank over if the relay is clicking ?

GedS

Post by GedS » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:06 pm

still no joy with this situation :( My lovely zed is stranded. Looks like the only option is an indy and potentially getting ripped off.
Work in Progress

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:24 pm

For £15 or so try swapping out the ign switch?
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:07 pm

GedS, I had exactly the same issue yesterday. All the vital signs were there. Doors unlocked all ignition lights on, relay clicking but no fire.
Put the volt meter across the battery and there were 9.74v where there should have been around 12.4v. Out came the jump leads and away we go first turn of the key. Quick check on voltage with engine running and we have 14.3v. So all seems to be charging. Decided to go for a run for 20 minutes, calling in at my local indie on the way. They kindly put the battery tester on it for me and the battery was only at 20%. finished my run and after tea went to start the Z, again. No joy again.
This morning first thing picked up replacement battery and fitted. 12.7v standing and 14.7v with engine running. All running again. I would suggest you call in to your local guy and get a battery check done first.
CookieP

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:09 pm

Just seen a typo on my last post where I said battery was at 20% when it was actually 60%.
CookieP

Truman

Post by Truman » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:22 pm

It should unless you make the same mistake as my mate...we tried 3 times to bump start his car...it was only after the third time he realised he'd not turned the ignition on....he was really popular I can tell you...😀

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:31 pm

Truman wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:22 pm
It should unless you make the same mistake as my mate...we tried 3 times to bump start his car...it was only after the third time he realised he'd not turned the ignition on....he was really popular I can tell you...😀
Yes, exactly what I was thinking ....there's a lot to get right 😉

Ethicsgradient

Post by Ethicsgradient » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:36 pm

Not unheard of for a starter motor to suddenly crap itself .. Mine did .. Stopped for fuel on the M6 toll road on way home from sweatyland .. Thought uh oh when I felt it behave sluggish and sound a bit off, but it managed to start it . Got home ..went to bed .. got up in the morning ..bet myself a tenner she wouldn't start , I won my bet .