Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Problem with AC

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Z4Lithuania

Problem with AC

Post by Z4Lithuania » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:09 pm

Hello, it's me again. :D

So, I've noticed another issue on my Zed. Air comming from vents is hot, my AC compressor doesn't engage when the snowflake button is pushed on. :(

What I have checked so far:
1. Unplugged the trigger from compressor and checked for voltage when snowflake button and blower is on - I got no power source on this wire.
2. Tried to plug positive wire directly from battery to trigger and negative to ground, compressor clutch engages, no slipping, it spins together with belt and pulley, BUT, still no cold air comming from wents AND aux fun is not spinning?! Shouldn't it start to spin as soon as snowflake button is being pushed on and compressor clutch engages? Or somehow aux fan senses that I tried to overplay it with directly connected wires to compressor pump? :
3. Fuses for AC (22 , 39) are good, but can't find the fuse for aux fan? Is it in some kind of other place, not above gloves box?

What else should I check?
1. Low pressure in AC system? But I assume, in that case it shouldn't effect aux fan?
2. Relay? Maybe anyone know which one exactly responses for AC compressor and which one for aux fan? And how to check them?

Thank you for any suggestions. :)

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Problem with AC

Post by Chris_D » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:22 pm

Oof, u will be needing your ac at this time of the year! I had mine on with the top down the other day it got so hot!
Can't help you i'm afraid as you seem to have checked the things i would have checked.
What about gas volume? Maybe it needs re-gassing. U know the history, if it's been regassed before etc
Good luck :thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Behr

Problem with AC

Post by Behr » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:13 pm

Z4Lithuania wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:09 pm AC broken....
Have you got DIS software? If so access the AC module parameters and check the AC system pressure to start with. You can also view pressure switch status, compressor status etc. very useful in helping to diagnose. More than likely you need a re-gas.
"It's got red seats and the roof comes off. What's not to love?"

Z4Lithuania

Problem with AC

Post by Z4Lithuania » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:16 am

Chris_D wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:22 pm Oof, u will be needing your ac at this time of the year! I had mine on with the top down the other day it got so hot!
Can't help you i'm afraid as you seem to have checked the things i would have checked.
What about gas volume? Maybe it needs re-gassing. U know the history, if it's been regassed before etc
Good luck :thumbsup:
Thanks for your answers.

Hehe, yeah, time of the year is great, and there is no need for AC, but I bought the car recently and just trying to make all the things work like it should.
I guess first thing I'm going to do now is to check the pressures and, maybe, re-gas if it's needed.

Hey, Behr. No, I don't have a software yet, so I'll try to look someone around who might have it. It should really help.

And what about the aux fan? Anyone knows where is aux fan's fuse? I tried one more time to directly feed AC compressor from a battery, it does engage, but the aux fan is not spinning. I assume it should start to spin immediately when AC compressor is on?

Z4Lithuania

Problem with AC

Post by Z4Lithuania » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:03 pm

Hello.

So, today got my AC system refilled and pressures checked. AC compresor finally engages! BUT... Aux fun doesn't turn on with AC! And that's the another problem... I can't use AC without aux fan running on idle.

I still can't find fuses for it? Or maybe it's the same as for AC/heater - 22, 39? What else can I check, please help. :(

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Problem with AC

Post by mac27040 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:07 am

is car in transport mode?
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

Z4Lithuania

Problem with AC

Post by Z4Lithuania » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:06 am

Transport mode? I'm not sure what's that, but everything else on the car works great. No warning dash lights, no problems with power, overheating or anything else.

Back to the aux fan, here is what I checked yeasterday:
1. Aux fan spins free and turns on max if I supply 12V directly to it.
2. There is no voltage comming to fan connector (3 pin connector with red/blue and brown wires and a small one black/green if I'm correct).
3. There is no outlet temp sensor in lower radiator hose!!! And not far away from where it should be, I've found a free hanging two pins connector witch has 5v supply. I think that's the one for the outlet temp, but maybe anyone knows what colour wires comes to it? Don't want to risk before connecting it to a new outlet temp sensor..?

Also I still can't find aux fan fuse in glove box compartment, or in engine bay, maybe there is another place for Z4's where the fuses can be?