Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cabin Water Ingress

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Boris

Cabin Water Ingress

Post by Boris » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:28 pm

Well I set about and installed the CD Multi-changer today I bought from another member, I managed it by only removing half of what they say to remove in the manual to be able to install it but even that was bad enough, it took an easy 2 hours.

I then thought I may as well install the new pollen filter I had bought for its next service.

Well! has anyone ever changed this; there was half of Cambridgeshire in there, wildlife pollen, seeds and leaves 8)

In crawling around in the passenger foot well to change the pollen filter I noticed the carpet was wet.

Can anyone advise if there is a general problem anywhere where the water could have got in; my wife has been using the car over the last week or so when its been sunny one moment and wet the next so it has been out and used in the rain and has stood outside her office in the rain.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Nev

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Cabin Water Ingress

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Usually comes through from the door liner behind the door card either being damaged, or removed and not replaced correctly. Had any work done on the window winder recently by any chance??

Mike

Boris

Cabin Water Ingress

Post by Boris » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:41 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:36 pm Usually comes through from the door liner behind the door card either being damaged, or removed and not replaced correctly. Had any work done on the window winder recently by any chance??

Mike
Just bought the car a couple of weeks ago Mike I don't thing Dave the previous owner has had anything done there, I'll take a look.

Cheers

Boris

Cabin Water Ingress

Post by Boris » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:49 pm

Just taken a look an there's nothing obvious, everything looks fine and as it should nice an tight.

I'm wondering if maybe the passenger window hasn't closed properly when my wife has put the roof up on arriving at work and rain has got in there.

Zoomer

Cabin Water Ingress

Post by Zoomer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:40 pm

I would also look at the plastic finisher in front of the windscreen / under the wipers as the drain from that also fills with crap then it overfills and can get into the car.
:thumbsup:
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

Matthew.

Cabin Water Ingress

Post by Matthew. » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:52 pm

I've had mine a few weeks now and have also noticed after a night of really heavy rain the drivers side carpet is slightly wet. Used the hose pipe and it's coming in slightly where the window meets the hood towards the front. It then trickles down the a pillar.

My last Z4 did the same thing. I think the hoods are prone to this. That's why I've just cleared room in the garage and am purchasing a cover for when it's outside or at work.
Sold: 2007 Monaco Blue Z4 2.0i Sport

Now driving: 2007 Montego Blue Z4 2.0i Sport - M Sport Seats, Suspension, Wheels, Multi Function M Steering Wheel, Stubby Aerial, Twin Exhaust Mod, Clear M Brake Light

Boris

Cabin Water Ingress

Post by Boris » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:31 pm

Have checked today and sure enough the seal on the inner lining of the door panel loose, will have to get some new tape to secure it.

Also when I opened the door there was trail of water down over the sill.

Thanks' for the pointers. :thumbsup:

olsonn

Cabin Water Ingress

Post by olsonn » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:17 pm

One other pointer is to check if the windscreen has been replaced, using non BMW rubbers or screen, can also cause problems with ingress of water. I know this from experience

Neilc

Cabin Water Ingress

Post by Neilc » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:06 pm

Is the foot well carpet wet or the carpet under the passenger seat wet? Also if you've only just bought the car. Check the drain holes are clear. Easy to do just search on YouTube but could save the roof motor from drowning
2.5Si Stirling grey Z4, green cotton induction kit, front & rear strut brace, clear third brake light, 19" deep dish alloys, Eibach Pro springs and colour coded duck tail spoiler.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Cabin Water Ingress

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:35 pm

Boris wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:31 pm Have checked today and sure enough the seal on the inner lining of the door panel loose, will have to get some new tape to secure it.

Also when I opened the door there was trail of water down over the sill.

Thanks' for the pointers. :thumbsup:
Nice easy fix!

Mike

Boris

Cabin Water Ingress

Post by Boris » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:15 pm

Neilc wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:06 pm Is the foot well carpet wet or the carpet under the passenger seat wet? Also if you've only just bought the car. Check the drain holes are clear. Easy to do just search on YouTube but could save the roof motor from drowning
Roof motor already done by previous owner thanks, and is as good as new now in the boot.

Boris

Cabin Water Ingress

Post by Boris » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:34 pm

I've been trying to find some of the new sealant tape that sticks the PVC sheet to the door and cant find any anywhere, does anyone know where you can get it, ordinary double sided tapes wont do. It needs to be what I call TAR tape the stuff that never actually sets.

Cheers

Nev

Boris

Cabin Water Ingress

Post by Boris » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:13 pm

Found it on Amazon .

Boris

Cabin Water Ingress

Post by Boris » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:23 am

Zoomer wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:40 pm I would also look at the plastic finisher in front of the windscreen / under the wipers as the drain from that also fills with crap then it overfills and can get into the car.
:thumbsup:
I thought I may as well take a look at these drains anyway but I'm not sure where they are, do you have a pic to show where they are located exactly please.

Cheers

Nev

Boris

Cabin Water Ingress

Post by Boris » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:27 pm

I've now installed sound deadening in both doors and hopefully fixed the leak in the passenger side seal at the same time, I hosed the car down tonight after I'd finished and no sign of anything but time will tell.
I've yet to address the front scuttle drains. 8)