Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My DSC/Brake Warning Light woes...Resolved ! Yay !

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:47 pm

Over the last 6 months I've had the intermittent DSC/Brake Warning Light issue. It progressively got worse until they came on permanently 30 seconds or so every time the engine was started. Code reader said Brake Pressure Sensor 1 and 2 at fault. The values for each circuit when the engine was running were 165 bar ! Changed both of these for new ones...no different ! Changed brake fluid...no different ! I then noticed that each time the two warning lights came on I could here a loud click coming from behind the instrument panel. This turned out to be coming from within the ABS Pump Control Unit. I removed the ABS pump and sent it to to ECU Testing for diagnosis. It was promptly returned 3 working days later...no faults ! This really had me scratching my head by now...what was the clicking then ? On the positive side they only charged me £60 or so as no fault found....top stuff. :thumbsup:
So this morning I refitted the ABS pump, changed both brake pressure sensors back to the original two, filled the system with fresh brake fluid and bled it all again. Also removed each wheel speed sensor in turn and cleaned them up before refitting. They were filthy ! :x Covered in rust, mud and both front ones were also thick in magnetised iron filings ! Reconnected the battery, held my breath and turned the key. Now there was 3 yellow warning lights...the ABS now illuminated also...WTF ! Not happy. Connected my C110 and cleared all codes. Still 3 yellows but no clicking from the ABS pump control unit this time. Properly pi**ed off now. I decided to go for a short drive in the hope that the 3 yellows would dissappear. Low and behold just thirty yards up the road all 3 lights vanished.....hoo..bloody..ray !!! Oh the relief ! I've been out 3 or 4 times this afternoon and none of the yellows has returned...thank God ! Hopefully they never will ! So I don't really know which one of these factors by itself or in conjunction with another caused the problem. What's more I don't really care because I'm now a very happy chap. :D
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:25 pm

Great news OP!

Those warning lights can be so frustrating (Just hoping my failed light one doesn't reappear)! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:32 pm

Result :thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

kunta

Post by kunta » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:52 am

i have the same problem.did the same .nohting halp......
it cam and go.....