Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BBK install - stumped!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

BBK install - stumped!

Post by MrPT » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:39 pm

I decided to take the plunge and buy the Vagbremtechnic M3/Z4M big brake kit. This works with the standard rotors, using Brembo 4-pot front calipers and pads from the DB9 (also the same as the previous gen TTRS/RS3). Now, everything about this kit, quality-wise, is outstanding - will post pics etc in due course.

But for now I'm stuck because everything is installed and bled but my brake pedal is going to the floor! I can pump it once or twice, and with either the engine off or on I eventually get a superbly firm pedal. With the engine on, if I wait a few seconds it will go to the floor again.

I actually went for a very short test drive like this and I can already tell that the brakes have improved feel compared to stock, but that's only after a couple of pumps. Great for that 1950s-racer vibe, but otherwise quite hairy. Here's what I've done/checked:

* Depressed pedal 80% before changing brake lines and calipers
* Checked calipers are the right way round (valves on top, small piston before large)
* Pressure bled everything twice with a one way bleed valve
* Checked that fluid actually flows freely from all four corners
* Given the calipers a decent thump with a rubber mallet while bleeding
* Bled inner and outer valves
* Checked for brake fluid leaks in every visible part of the braking system
* Checked fluid level - went to minimum once but never below
* INPA ABS bleed procedure, >3 times per corner, LR/RR/LF/RF
* Checked E46 M3 master cylinder is the same size as the Z4M
* Checked pads are contacting disc when idle
* Checked that pads move freely on the pins
* Checked that I can stomp on the pedal (when firm) and it doesn't sink to the floor slowly

Any ideas? Fairly sick of bleeding now, but I'm open to the idea that it might just take a few hundred more bleeds. :D :?
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Stu Boy

BBK install - stumped!

Post by Stu Boy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:32 am

if the brakes were fine before you fitted the calipers then surely you must have introduced air into the system :cry:
As you know I've not long changed my calipers too, mine had slightly more pedal travel ( but never went to the floor) initially but after a hundred miles or so and a rebleed all is well.
Have you been using the bleed pipe with the one way valve? Might be worth a go with a pressurised bleed kit? If these have been tried looks like it's a trip to your nearest dealer?
Good luck :thumbsup:
2007 Z4 ///M Roadster, Black Sapphire, Nav, Deflector, Eibach's, Bilstein B6's, OEM CSL's 6 Pot BMW Performance Calipers

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

BBK install - stumped!

Post by Smartbear » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:21 am

Have you checked the replacement brake pipe fittings for leaks? Did you install new copper washers each side of the fitting?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

BBK install - stumped!

Post by MrPT » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:12 am

Stu Boy wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:32 am if the brakes were fine before you fitted the calipers then surely you must have introduced air into the system :cry:
Exactly. I think, despite everything, that is still the most likely cause. Everybody has done this crazy dance at some point. :lol:
Have you been using the bleed pipe with the one way valve? Might be worth a go with a pressurised bleed kit?
Yes, I'm using a one-man bleed hose on the caliper valve and a Sealey pressure bleeder on the reservoir. Flushed half a new bottle of dot 5.1 through so far.
Smartbear wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:21 am Have you checked the replacement brake pipe fittings for leaks? Did you install new copper washers each side of the fitting?
Rob
I think the whole system is pretty tight because it will hold pressure or a firm pedal push for a long time. It did cross my mind that various valves etc would be cutting sections off, so I will check the fittings, thanks. Pretty sure they don't have washers though, since they aren't banjo bolts. I need to work today but will also try removing the calipers and manipulating them a bit.

Urgh, so close. Cheers team. :thumbsup:
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

BBK install - stumped!

Post by hopz121 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:15 am

Is the pedal spongy or solid?

It could be a case that they just are not working properly yet, I remember when I changed the disc's and pads and calipers on my 3.0i, took it for a drive pressed the brake and not much happened a pretty scary moment! Could it be that the system needs to bed in?

Do you have nay pictures OP so we can take a look and see if its something obvious?

What pads are you using?

Ash
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

BBK install - stumped!

Post by MrPT » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:37 am

Cheers Ash. Pedal was spongey until pumped, then firm, before going spongey again after not braking for a couple of seconds. Pads are OEM Pagids for the RS3.

It's sorted now - of course it was a bleed issue! :roll:

I took both calipers off and manipulated them to try and free bubbles. Then I put them back the carriers, and I did a four corner pressure bleed, plus the ABS INPA bleed procedure. Front right had bubbles on the inner valve. Come to think of it, I might only have bled that valve using INPA since installing that caliper upside down initially (on the other side!), so it's my fault for being a muppet. The ABS bleed probably pushed bubbles out of the pump into that caliper and then I didn't flush them through properly. When I did it was only 4-5 small bubbles but I can't think of anything else that might have caused it. I guess the bubbles look small in the bleed hose, relative to how "long" they are in the braking system.

Lesson learned - at least I got some bleeding practice in, and the pedal feels mighty now. :driving:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

BBK install - stumped!

Post by john-e89 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:51 am

MrPT wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:37 am Cheers Ash. Pedal was spongey until pumped, then firm, before going spongey again after not braking for a couple of seconds. Pads are OEM Pagids for the RS3.

It's sorted now - of course it was a bleed issue! :roll:

I took both calipers off and manipulated them to try and free bubbles. Then I put them back the carriers, and I did a four corner pressure bleed, plus the ABS INPA bleed procedure. Front right had bubbles on the inner valve. Come to think of it, I might only have bled that valve using INPA since installing that caliper upside down initially (on the other side!), so it's my fault for being a muppet. The ABS bleed probably pushed bubbles out of the pump into that caliper and then I didn't flush them through properly. When I did it was only 4-5 small bubbles but I can't think of anything else that might have caused it. I guess the bubbles look small in the bleed hose, relative to how "long" they are in the braking system.

Lesson learned - at least I got some bleeding practice in, and the pedal feels mighty now. :driving:
This looks a great kit Mr PT, where did you source your calipers from?
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

BBK install - stumped!

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:52 am

Don't beat your self up about it. Stuff like this happens all the time and the more you do it the more frustrated it becomes and easier to miss the obvious and start looking for complex issues. Glad its fixed and you can enjoy

Also while the bubbles may sound small they compress in a linear manner, so 10x pressure take /10 the volume. That makes a bubble minuscule at 1200psi and then consider that the amount of fluid moved is tiny so your air bubbles represent a relatively large volume of what a pedal press moves
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

BBK install - stumped!

Post by MrPT » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:02 am

john-e89 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:51 amThis looks a great kit Mr PT, where did you source your calipers from?
VBT buy calipers in bulk from Aston, so it actually worked out cheaper to go down that route than buy second hand calipers or source from Aston direct.
cj10jeeper wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:52 am Don't beat your self up about it. Stuff like this happens all the time and the more you do it the more frustrated it becomes and easier to miss the obvious and start looking for complex issues. Glad its fixed and you can enjoy
Thanks. Exactly that - got frustrated trying to dream up what else it might be, and actually what was needed was a decent night's sleep and more attention on the obvious stuff.

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

BBK install - stumped!

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:25 am

Did you fill the new calipers before fitting? As that might be the issue keep bleeding them. I am sure they will come good.

Sorry if already fixed I just read the first few posts.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

BBK install - stumped!

Post by john-e89 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:26 am

MrPT wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:02 am
john-e89 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:51 amThis looks a great kit Mr PT, where did you source your calipers from?
VBT buy calipers in bulk from Aston, so it actually worked out cheaper to go down that route than buy second hand calipers or source from Aston
Great cheers. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Stu Boy

BBK install - stumped!

Post by Stu Boy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:30 pm

Glad it's sorted :thumbsup:
You muppet :P
2007 Z4 ///M Roadster, Black Sapphire, Nav, Deflector, Eibach's, Bilstein B6's, OEM CSL's 6 Pot BMW Performance Calipers

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

BBK install - stumped!

Post by hopz121 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:08 pm

Easy mistake glad you sorted it though :thumbsup:

Now lets see some pictures :D
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

BBK install - stumped!

Post by MrPT » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:32 pm

Stu Boy wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:30 pm Glad it's sorted :thumbsup:
You muppet :P
It's your fault I'm doing this. And 'dawg's. :P

bmwaddict

BBK install - stumped!

Post by bmwaddict » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:07 pm

Pics or it didn't happen! I'd like a bbk at some point, it's at the bottom of a long list of mods and jobs though.
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport