Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof Stuck

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Sootydog

Roof Stuck

Post by Sootydog » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:31 am

Hi, the car has been stored for a month with the battery disconnected. The roof opens normally and everything (motors /pumps) sounds OK.

When closing the roof everything again sounds and acts like normal but the roof only shuts about halfway. After a few seconds it tries again and moves another inch or so and then that's it.

If I manually close the roof including the front latches and start again .. same thing... roof opens OK but won't close fully.

Battery is fully charged and I have attached a car starter just in case, no difference.

Any ideas ??

domsz4

Roof Stuck

Post by domsz4 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:42 am

Does it glitch just as the roof closes over the top of the hoops and it just stops deaf. If you back it of a little you can then start to close again and it just gets to the same place before stopping?
Proud Whip owner ;)

Sootydog

Roof Stuck

Post by Sootydog » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:46 am

Hi Domsz4,
Yes same place (2 places) every time.

Sootydog

Roof Stuck

Post by Sootydog » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:50 am

Domsz4,
I can move the roof up and down manually. Seems fairly smooth but I have spayed some WD about. No change. I have managed to get the roof to stick once I roughly the same place but I assumed that was cos I was only lifting it from one side and I got a bit skew.

Sootydog

Roof Stuck

Post by Sootydog » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:54 am

Ok, I'm getting closer. I can get the roof to close apart from the last inch. If I hit the roof trim on the inside a few times I can get it to complete the operation ( apart from the windows going up).

Is the hitting disturbing a sensor or just helping the motor.
I have had the inner trim off that covers the latching motor but couldn't see any micro switches. Am I looking in the right place.
Nearly fixed but I little help still needed ... please.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Roof Stuck

Post by Number5 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:12 pm

To me it sounds like the motor is too weak to push past a high pressure stage, or perhaps a fluid issue. Either an air lock or top up needed.

It's possible that the motor is sat in water, so well worth considering a relocation to the boot where its accessible whilst fixing at the same time.

I'm in South Glos, if you want me to have a look at it. - Just drop me a PM.
See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87284
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

Sootydog