Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Convertible roof finally fixed

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:05 pm

Had a issue with my roof which some others on here have same symptoms. Roof won't retract but closes ok. You can hear the motor spinning but need to help the roof back by hand.

Issue was prior to relocating motor to boot, 1. replaced motor only but no different, :headbang:
2.swapped hydraulic lines over other week and it worked for all of a few goes. :headbang:
3. So ended up buying a replacement pump & motor, Worked first time and pulls roof down and it also locks in place. Cycled it a few times and topped hydraulic fluid up.

Issue was a faulty pump not motor.
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:43 pm

Sounds like a pain. Good to hear you finally got it sorted. Perfect weather for roof down, so go enjoy all your hard work. 8) :thumbsup:

Dietcokeman

Post by Dietcokeman » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:18 pm

Glad you got it sorted :thumbsup: This is an issue I have mentioned here before, that motors sometimes fail or run weak in one direction . Normally if you swap the pipes over the motor will do the opposite , i.e. If it was weak raising, then with the pipes swapped it will now be weak lowering and vise a versa. Good job mate .

Sgr74

Post by Sgr74 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:48 am

I think the market for hydraulic pumps will now be quite lucrative. A lot on here with the same issues you had. Did you buy from BMW or second hand? How much was it?
Black 2.5 Roadie.

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:39 pm

Bought second hand so £200 including new motor
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics