Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mechanic jargon

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
putanything

Mechanic jargon

Post by putanything » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:47 pm

Hi all.

this is my first post so if its in the wrong place I am sorry.

So I have a 3.0 zed that hates me and wants to see me suffer a lot.

I have just got back from the mechanic again after my 4th or 5th set of tyres on the rears this year. Finally I have a potential solution to my zeds ability to shred tyres quickly.

Apparently the upper sphericals have exsessive movement in them and thats adding to the problem.

Now Ive had a quick google search and they seem to be bushings but I cant work out which bushings they are. I am not a good amature mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but as a quoted price of nearly £300 including alignment I was hoping to try and get a pair and fit them my self and just pay for the allignment.

Any help with what these sphericals are would be greatfully recieved. Also further to that any reccomended brands to go for. I have a set of powerflex bushes for the rear control arms but they are still in the box atm. opinions of powerflex would be of help as well i have read mixed reviews.

many thanks

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Mechanic jargon

Post by Marlon » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:33 pm

Hells Bells, 5 or 6 sets of rears in one year! :o

(I don't know what 'sphericals' are - hopefully some one will be along soon to help)
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Mechanic jargon

Post by Z4M-2006 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:00 pm

Top hub mount..

Its a rose joint thats pressed into the hub..

Believe me,you will want to give it to the garage after you have attempted it,and gladly pay the money..

putanything

Mechanic jargon

Post by putanything » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:30 pm

thanks for the replys. yep ive checked my recipts and this mornings tyres are set number 4 on the rears.

Im sorry for asking further questions.

Is it one of these?
Screenshot_20170619-182557.png
Screenshot_20170619-182557.png (149.9 KiB) Viewed 1252 times
I am trying to picture it and also get the correct name that it would be sold under so I can shop for the part. I havent ruled out asking my mechanic to do the job but I am deffinatly a hands on kind of guy and as Im running this car on a shoe string as it is in the words of tesco every little helps.

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Mechanic jargon

Post by Z4M-2006 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:58 pm

Thats the bugger..

putanything

Mechanic jargon

Post by putanything » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:23 am

Doesnt look too problematic as long as I can find the right bushing pusher. I have been looking at ebay for a universal set. I may be being over optermistic how ever. I will have a think.

If i might just run this by.

So remove wheel, break gubbins and that plate that goes behind the disc. Undo the bolt that goes through the bushing joint thing. Push joint thing out. lube up with drying silicone lube. Push bushing thing back in and reasemble in reverse order. ( that kind of reminded me of swiss tony)

I guess an advantage of removing quite a lot of gubbins is I can replace discs and pads at the same time. Also I would have the bushing pusher for the next set of bushings I want removing and replacing.

I read somewhere that for this you have to be careful of the diff. If thats the case i deffinatly wont be attempting it.

Any recomendations for good bushing pushers.

thanks

Highlander

Mechanic jargon

Post by Highlander » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:47 am

Sounds like a whole lot of grief to me with blood,sweat and skinned knuckles......... appreciate the tight budget and "have a go" attitude but if you hit a problem into the job you're left with an immobile car and no mechanic to hand... ......thinking stripped thread,seized fixing,etc
I know my skill limitations and more importantly patience so it's a vote for professional mechanic.

putanything

Mechanic jargon

Post by putanything » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:24 pm

yep I appriciate that. mechanics job is looking highly likely for this. i did the front drop links roll bar things last month. one side came of fine. the other nope so i asked him kindly if he would sort that out. To be fair the quoted price is for full allignment as well. There are just so many problems with this car I should never have bought it. even as i was handing over the cash I was thinking you idiot. The engine management light came on during the test drive but lack of sleep steam rollered over common sense and now im stuck with her.

Anyway for those of you wondering this is my Roxy. so named from the number plate which im not gonna show here lol.
Screenshot_20170620-121154.png
Screenshot_20170620-121154.png (241.01 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
They are apparently m6 alloys but i dont think they are real ones unfortunatly. Thats not long aftet I got her. she doesnt look like that now. She needs lot of work but as she is fully paid for I am reluctant to just get rid and start again.

So here are the main things I want to do after these spericals. Please I do welcome opinions.

Bilstien b4s all round. I was thinking of going with sachs but I have heard very good things about the bilstiens and I can get them on 0% finance.

The air vacuum intake thingy hose has a split in it so that needs doing.

Electric mirrors need a fuse I think/hope.

Eventually I want either the turbine or elipsoid wheels back on. But thats more minor.

I definatly want the amp fixing so all ten speakers finally work and the aux input ashtray thing if i can find it.

I also want to restore all the original trim in the boot which i didnt notice was missing when i bought it. (lack of sleep from working nights) and also the warning triangle.

Also i do need to have a look at another z4's battery. Mine is wired in very strangly so that the carpet doesnt quite fit over it anymore. bugs me a lot.

Lastly i think im gonna have to dig deep and pay bmw to send me the spare keys they have as mine is a cheap ebay bodge that keeps falling to bits. I do have an original but its battery is long since dead even a week on a tooth brush charger hasnt brought it back to life.

Its a shame really as the engine seems very healthy. Apart from the suspension its all niggles.

Highlander

Mechanic jargon

Post by Highlander » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:33 pm

On a positive note....when you do the suspension then it should be good for a while.A lot of the other issues are minor and /or cosmetic so can be done when finances allow.........you'll end up with a car you can trust as you'll know what's been addressed....stick at it

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Mechanic jargon

Post by Chris_D » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:38 pm

I say give it a go! Nothing ventured, nothing gained - if you have the time, patience and inclination that is.
I bought a 'fixer-upper', sold as 'excellent condition' but doing my own clued-up inspection, quickly found it had a few issues to sort and got a grand knocked off the asking price!
I fixed all the issues myself and am thoroughly proud of the achievement and money saved! Costs- about 500 quid and my own time. It's a worry-free dream to drive now :) :)
good luck and don't be backward in coming forward for advice here!
:thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Mechanic jargon

Post by markplant » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:35 pm

For the spare keys use bmkeys on eBay based in east London, but can be done by post if you send your module, an you get a Bentley style flip key
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

putanything

Mechanic jargon

Post by putanything » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:50 am

The key I already have is a bentlyish style flip one. Im not a fan personally. I am perhaps one of the few who really likes the diamond style key. apart from the battery problems. I am very much a fan of simple stuff.

I am still undecided with the top mounts. watch this space. thanks for all the replys though its been a real help.....

putanything

Mechanic jargon

Post by putanything » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:46 am

So quick update, I have found on auto doc the what seems to be the right part for the upper hub mounts part 33326775551, and they all on this site seem a lot cheaper than buying them from my mechanic, between £7 and £25 pound a go. Obviously I would like the £7 ones but I also want them to be of reasonable quality. Has anyone got any advice on brands to go for for these mounts.

Vaico are the cheapest but i'm worried about false economy with those, there are monroe ones also, and moog, JP group and triscan and Meyle are the most expensive. Even those seem good value compared to the 40ish plus vat for each part from the mechanic.

Once I get them I will be able to get them on and my alignment finally sorted YEY....

putanything

Mechanic jargon

Post by putanything » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:48 am

Also Febi bilstein, I think thats the same make as the shocks I want so that could be promising however because I am inexperianced with brands I have no clue about this i'm sorry.

Thanks

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Mechanic jargon

Post by hopz121 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:04 pm

id check you RTA Bushes as these are probably an issue too.
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone