Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof question

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
charlie8

Roof question

Post by charlie8 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:56 pm

Just purchased a lovely 2.5i, 2007 roadster, the v6 is great and so smooth

However ( there is always is one ) the roof is doing strange things. So I perm have the flashing led when the roof is lowered ( prev owner said its always done since 2 yrs he had ) but has no affect other than an annoying flash when driving. And last night I could not get the roof to open at all, car was running, pulled over in 2 desperate spots, nothing, not even windows down - no noise. So got home feeling like i'd bought a bit of a pup, opened the boot, looked under, push up shelf a bit, then start up again, tried to open and sure enough it opens - phew, and closes, same led as always

So after a bit of searching last night on this forum ( great source of info ) seems the boot micro switch could be the issue, however why would that stop the roof trying to open at all - is that because the car 'thinks' its already open as the switch could be stuck as closed ? Is the micro switch the only feedback for the whole system in terms of open/closed ? When the roof hits the windscreen and motor there takes over and pulls it down, is there no feedback there ?

In summary is this all switch related do you think ? I presume a low battery would not mean it does not even try etc, so after my drive with top up, batt charged a bit, then on next try it had more juice so started ? Surely low battery just means a go slow, its not clever enough to not even try if limited charge ?

And, what does the pump do and what does the motor do - they get talked about as separate things ? Are there any schematic pics or good videos the describe the whole system ? Lots on youtube about have to remove hood/motor etc but not on full system

A t D h V a A n N k C s E
There's nothing in the dark that isn't there in the light .... except fear

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Roof question

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:34 pm

Flashing red when it was lowered means it either hasn't completed its cycle, or more likely that the hall sensor is out of alignment. Now that it's not working at all, chances are the motor is sitting in a pool of water inside it's housing. If it was the switch, you would have an orange light instead of red.

I CAN fix this for you and relocate the motor at the same time so it won't happen again, for a fraction of what even an independent will charge you, and in about an hour.

Email me at [email protected] and ill send you my phone number.

Mike

charlie8

Roof question

Post by charlie8 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:18 pm

The motor was replaced less than 2 yrs ago, and it did work when I messed around the boot area, on the next run. So not sure it would be motor, it certainly is not dead anyway ?
There's nothing in the dark that isn't there in the light .... except fear

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Roof question

Post by Grumpyowl » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:32 pm

Mike relocated my roof motor a couple of weeks ago. My car is a garage queen, never sees the rain, roof drains are clear. I couldn't believe how wet the motor was simply through washing the car..
Get your motor moved to the boot it will cure all sorts of ills :thumbsup: