Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Manual gearbox oil

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
charlie8

Manual gearbox oil

Post by charlie8 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:06 pm

My new acquisition ( 2007, 2.5 Msport, 77K ) has a sightly notchy gearbox. Its not too bad and maybe just be getting used to the gate as its a 6 speed ( althoug all my other cars have 6, just that they are diesels ) , but sometimes wonder if it should be smoother. Its not grinding or crunching, just feels like its not particularly smooth

My question is, without knowing when gbox oil should be changed or indeed if it ever was ( have no records ) - would that make a difference and worth doing anyway ? What mileage should it be changed and what would that cost, as I presume it would be pressure drained and filled like most g'boxes that I have come across ?

Thanks
There's nothing in the dark that isn't there in the light .... except fear

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Manual gearbox oil

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:21 pm

It's a lifetime fill so won't have ever been done unless a previous owner did it or asked specifically for it to be done.
It's worth doing and will just cost the oil if you DIY, I wouldn't pay someone for more than 30 mins work to do it but finding a willing mechanic can be tricky. Most big chains won't entertain it.
Some boxes have drain and fill, others fill plug only and need old oil extracting.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

charlie8

Manual gearbox oil

Post by charlie8 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:30 pm

OK thanks, if its a lifetime fill and not a service item I will leave. As I have no history just wanted to be sure it was not something I've missed

Is that the same for the diff oil ?

Starting to think - maybe naively, that these are good cars for the DIYer as so far ( although asked on different thread ) the only things in the service are standard stuff that anyone can do. Lifetime gbox oil, elect steering, timing chain etc so less big jobs to worry about as regular maintenance ?

Fox889

Manual gearbox oil

Post by Fox889 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:20 pm

She's 10 years old & out of respect for the old girl, I would change both gearbox & diff oil. Any half decent garage would do both within 60 mins. "Lifetime" is generally considered as being 100k but in reality I would change gearbox & diff at 60k. It's only a few pounds & the job is done & dusted! Do it, you know you want to! :rofl:
2004 3.0 Z4 in Sterling grey metallic

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Manual gearbox oil

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:34 pm

OP, gearbox oil is indeed supposed to be for life but having read a few threads about it I decided to get mine changed when I had a service last month. (E86 so 3.0Si engine).

FWIW the change does feel a bit better, but that could possibly be due to the ZHP shifter I fitted a couple of days previously or might be a combination of the two! Anyway at 82K miles I figured it couldn't do any harm. :lol:

I don't know where you are, but I had mine done at my local BMW indy (TWG Automotive in Camberley). They only charged £15 + VAT in labour for doing it.

I asked about the diff when I booked it in, but that is a big job if you want to do it properly as the diff doesn't have a drain plug! I decided if it goes I'll just head to Bird's for a Quaife. :lol:

I don't DIY on mine, but one thing you are likely to need sooner or later is a code reader for the OBD!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Manual gearbox oil

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:49 pm

Further to my last - I didn't articulate my opinion clearly: CHANGE THE BOX OIL

For the avoidance of doubt :thumbsup:
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

biojo

Manual gearbox oil

Post by biojo » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:03 pm

Ive used Fuchs oil which gave slight improvements and Redline, although more expensive its been much better. Never known a gearbox not to have a drain, but i have known the diff`s not to have a drain, also replaced that with redlines oil too

LewisB

Manual gearbox oil

Post by LewisB » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:58 pm

I'm the same as Mr Tidy. I had mine changed at TWG recently. I do feel it made a difference. A fairly cheap service item if you can afford to do it.
Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe - Ruby Black - Champagne Nappa leather - my weekend drive......

charlie8

Manual gearbox oil

Post by charlie8 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:21 pm

THanks, I've requested a quote .....

Yes I have an OBDII reader used on other cars

csquire4

Manual gearbox oil

Post by csquire4 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:36 pm

copy and paste of one of my previous posts:

Like you I was disappointed with the manual shift.

For my 2004 3.0 manual gearbox I changed to 50/50 mix of Redline MTF and Redline ATF 4 as recommended by various BMW forums and OPIE oils. You'll need to buy 1 quart of each. It did improve the shift.

Removing the CDV also helps and then fitting a weighted gearknob. Most go for ZHP (about £50) but some including me go for Stormwerks V1 or V2 which are heavier than ZHP. This also makes a very noticeable improvement. The extra weight seems to 'smother' the notchiness.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92814&p=1365536#p1365536

One benefit of the Stormwerks is that you can adjust how far down the shaft you want it. I have it quite high which means a longer shift (similar to standard gearknob) but the longer lever means shifting requires less effort. Most would have it as low as possible for 'shorter' shifts with reduced throw.

Gearbox oil, CDV delete and heavy knob will get the gearbox to acceptable
Last edited by csquire4 on Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 3.0i, manual, toledo blue

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Manual gearbox oil

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:38 pm

csquire4 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:36 pmGearbox oil, CDV delete and heavy knob will get the gearbox to acceptable
It's not very often you see a recommendation for a heavy knob! :lol: (But it does seem to help)!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

charlie8

Manual gearbox oil

Post by charlie8 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:26 am

Interesting csquire4

How much are the Stormwerks - if I understand correctly that will give me a heavy knob that allows the shaft to be adjusted so I can use it with a short throw - whats not to like :o

csquire4

Manual gearbox oil

Post by csquire4 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:15 pm

Depends on finish but typically £70 to £80 which is more pricey than ZHP but they are really well engineered.

http://www.storm-motorwerks.com/interio ... _knobs_v1/
2004 3.0i, manual, toledo blue

D4dawg

Manual gearbox oil

Post by D4dawg » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:01 am

Did my box and diff oils today
Last done 3 years ago by bmw
It's a doddle buddy
And yes to difference

charlie8

Manual gearbox oil

Post by charlie8 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:03 pm

Therefore even more shocked by my local garage, who specialize in BMW sales and service, giving me 0.75 hr labour estimate, so whole job being ~£90.

My issue is not worth that much to solve and after a bit of reading, just drove a bit more aggressive on the throttle and clutch, its much better now in my mind, I think its just me getting to know the car as I've only driven ~250 miles and jumped from a tractor where low down torque is so high.

With my logical head, I also cannot think how new gbox oil can have that much of an affect. The minute particles it will contain through wear will be minuscule compared to the gear groves and sure viscosity does not change over time otherwise it would be a non-lifetime change, maybe it does when full of wear ?

A heavier stick though I can see makes the gears 'fall' better and looks individual too. CDV removal seems popular, but why did the BMW engineers put all that effort in - its got to be there for a very good reason indeed ?