Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coupe passenger window issue

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
philipw

Post by philipw » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:21 pm

Hi all,

The passenger window on my coupe does not seal properly, especially the rear of the window. Instead of trying to explain it I uploaded a couple of videos below. I have been told that its the window regulator and seen that there is a repair kit available, would this be sufficient?

All input appreciated :thumbsup:

08 Carbon Black M Coupe

Rusky

Post by Rusky » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:24 pm

Have you tried going through the window reset procedure?
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:56 am

Rusky wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:24 pm Have you tried going through the window reset procedure?
Rest procedure isn't going to fix that.

The window needs aligning. There are two bolts on the bottom of the door for this. The door card might also need to come off if the glass holder has moved.

In less the window is making a noise or there seems like resistance then the regulator itself is probably ok.

Repair kit under £20 though.

philipw

Post by philipw » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:16 pm

srhutch wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:56 am
Rusky wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:24 pm Have you tried going through the window reset procedure?
Rest procedure isn't going to fix that.

The window needs aligning. There are two bolts on the bottom of the door for this. The door card might also need to come off if the glass holder has moved.

In less the window is making a noise or there seems like resistance then the regulator itself is probably ok.

Repair kit under £20 though.
Thanks, the window does make a noise when it first moves, sound like a crack so it most likely requires the regulator being repaired/replaced. Ill remove the door card to determine what is going on.
08 Carbon Black M Coupe

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:27 pm

The guides have moved apart, adjustment will sort that, door card and inner seal off, the guides are secured towards the bottom of the door with a 10 or 13mm bolt, you'll probably find one is loose..

Mike

philipw

Post by philipw » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:46 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:27 pm The guides have moved apart, adjustment will sort that, door card and inner seal off, the guides are secured towards the bottom of the door with a 10 or 13mm bolt, you'll probably find one is loose..

Mike
Managed to get around to this a couple of months ago. Turned out this was exactly the issue, the cable had partially come off one of the plastic guides and was wrapped around the triangular piece hence being loose.

I replaced the cable anyway as it was looking worn and had clearly stretched. Not an easy job, took about 4 hours in total but I imagine it could be done a lot quicker by someone more competent!

This is the cable I bought, was identical to the one removed:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2535070515

And this is the very useful guide I followed:

08 Carbon Black M Coupe

z4pilot

Post by z4pilot » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:48 pm

Well done for coming back to post up the solution - always good to know what the fix was! :thumbsup:
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...