Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Small oil leak

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
MarkPendlebury

Small oil leak

Post by MarkPendlebury » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:41 pm

When my Z4 is left standing for a couple of days and after starting I get a smell of burning oil for about 30secs. After this all ok. It's done 74k and I've read that could be valve cover gasket.
Could this be the problem and is it an easy and cheap fix..?

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Small oil leak

Post by patriot66 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:06 pm

Hi there Mark. When the engine is cold run your fingers around the valve cover gasket line and you'll soon find if you have a leak, usually on the exhaust manifold side/rear corner is most likely. It's a straight forward fix but buy a good quality gasket set. Plenty of videos on YouTube if you're unsure. Also examine your oil filter housing gasket for oil leaks. This is a much more involved job to replace but still do-able. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Fox889

Small oil leak

Post by Fox889 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:57 am

Never had to do mine but if I'm right, a little bit of a pain in the arse to do to make sure it's 100% fit.
2004 3.0 Z4 in Sterling grey metallic