Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Door mirror loose within mirror body.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
acer54

Post by acer54 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:42 am

I've noticed that the door mirror is loose within the mirror body, I'm afraid to pull it in case that I break it, how can I secure the mirror properly?

obewan

Post by obewan » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:47 am

Common occurance due to them being heated
Prise it off before it drops off and damages your paint work
A few threads on here if you do a quick search
Halfords, Amazon or E-bay have replacement mirrors, not that expensive
Look at the reviews though as some are a better fit than others
I think some forum members have used adhesives rather than relying on the double sided tape
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:17 am

Pull it off - at least if it breaks you have control of it and its not going to hit the road via the paintwork on your door.

I had mine go a few months back and replaced it with one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Left-Passenge ... Sw1DtXGNql

and stuck it back with double sided Gorilla tape which had a suitable temperature range whilst maintaining adhesion. I did have a thread about it but a quick search will find you many others - apparently the mirror is heated all the time so there will always be some falling off someone's car!

acer54

Post by acer54 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:07 pm

Had a close look at it and it was not secured properly to the back plate, the oem one you have to turn a ring to lock the mirror to the motor - all sorted now.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:39 pm

All Zed mirrors are the rotation lock kind. The other posts refer to the mirror back plate and mirror glass. Due to the fact mirrors run hot on the off, the mirror glass sometimes separates from the black mirror backing plate (this is what locks onto the actual mirror housing/unit). This is exasperated by the fact some Zeds are in excess of a decade old.

Basically just check the mirror glass is still secured properly to the backing plate! :thumbsup:
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

acer54

Post by acer54 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:13 am

kis wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:39 pm All Zed mirrors are the rotation lock kind. The other posts refer to the mirror back plate and mirror glass. Due to the fact mirrors run hot on the off, the mirror glass sometimes separates from the black mirror backing plate (this is what locks onto the actual mirror housing/unit). This is exasperated by the fact some Zeds are in excess of a decade old.

Basically just check the mirror glass is still secured properly to the backing plate! :thumbsup:
The heating element was disconnected, reconnected and it's working fine, the passenger mirror I suspect is also disconnected (not getting warm when ignition on).
I think they've been disconnected from new based on the condition of the terminals and the fact the car has come from Japan where the weather is kinder, if thats the case then based on the mileage I do i the Zed I should not have any problems re adhesive breakdown (I only use it in the summer months and it's mothballed for the winter)