Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bulb Warning Light!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
idej_z4

Bulb Warning Light!

Post by idej_z4 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:58 am

Hello, I've got the bulb warning light on my dashboard lit up...but all my bulbs are working fine - any ideas why this is showing?

Also, is this something I would be able to reset if I had Carly? Thinking about getting it so would give me another reason to go ahead and purchase.

Cheers

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Bulb Warning Light!

Post by Number5 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:24 am

I think the bulb warning light will reset itself as soon as the faulty bulb is eliminated.

All of the rear, fog and indicator bulbs are the same, so just buy a spare and swap the new one into all locations one by one until you identify which one was faulty. However, saying that, I've got a bulb fault at the moment and I've tracked it to the bulb holder (not the bulb) in the outer half of the rear light.

I've moved it to the fog light for the time being until I can replace it, so visually everything looks right at the back still.

Also bear in mind that the Z4 has the 'next function' facility, where by if the indicator fails for example, the rear light will flash instead. The lamp next to the fault takes on the job of the failed bulb, which can at time be confusing !

idej_z4

Bulb Warning Light!

Post by idej_z4 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:10 am

Number5 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:24 am I think the bulb warning light will reset itself as soon as the faulty bulb is eliminated.

All of the rear, fog and indicator bulbs are the same, so just buy a spare and swap the new one into all locations one by one until you identify which one was faulty. However, saying that, I've got a bulb fault at the moment and I've tracked it to the bulb holder (not the bulb) in the outer half of the rear light.

I've moved it to the fog light for the time being until I can replace it, so visually everything looks right at the back still.

Also bear in mind that the Z4 has the 'next function' facility, where by if the indicator fails for example, the rear light will flash instead. The lamp next to the fault takes on the job of the failed bulb, which can at time be confusing !
I've replaced my fog lights with covers so they're not connected anymore...do you think it could be this then? Cheers.

Joycey

Bulb Warning Light!

Post by Joycey » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:37 am

I've done the same with the fogs and mines not illuminated. To answer your first question, yes Carly can turn off bulb checks. But you must have one out somewhere, you sure its not the little inner halo ring they are very sensitive.

idej_z4

Bulb Warning Light!

Post by idej_z4 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:45 am

Joycey wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:37 am I've done the same with the fogs and mines not illuminated. To answer your first question, yes Carly can turn off bulb checks. But you must have one out somewhere, you sure its not the little inner halo ring they are very sensitive.
It probably could be. I haven't checked them yet. Is it a big job to get to the front bulbs?

Joycey

Bulb Warning Light!

Post by Joycey » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:54 am

Not really, Access is through the wheel arch liner (you'll see a little cover to remove), easier with the wheel off. If it is the halo bulb they're £35 from BMW its a sealed halogen bulb in a holder. Or do what I'm about to do.

Order two very bright LED's to replace these 10w bulbs and turn off the lamp indictor function :evil:

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Bulb Warning Light!

Post by jamie_z4 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:13 am

Nah Joycey, mine did this, all bulbs working perfectly- i took the bulb out the dash for the bulb warning :rofl:
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

idej_z4

Bulb Warning Light!

Post by idej_z4 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:35 am

jamie_z4 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:13 am Nah Joycey, mine did this, all bulbs working perfectly- i took the bulb out the dash for the bulb warning :rofl:
Nice idea Jamie! :thumbsup:

idej_z4

Bulb Warning Light!

Post by idej_z4 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:36 am

Joycey wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:54 am Not really, Access is through the wheel arch liner (you'll see a little cover to remove), easier with the wheel off. If it is the halo bulb they're £35 from BMW its a sealed halogen bulb in a holder. Or do what I'm about to do.

Order two very bright LED's to replace these 10w bulbs and turn off the lamp indictor function :evil:
Good plan matey! :D Are you going to turn it off using Carly?

Joycey

Bulb Warning Light!

Post by Joycey » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:55 am

idej_jedi wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:36 am
Joycey wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:54 am Not really, Access is through the wheel arch liner (you'll see a little cover to remove), easier with the wheel off. If it is the halo bulb they're £35 from BMW its a sealed halogen bulb in a holder. Or do what I'm about to do.

Good plan matey! :D Are you going to turn it off using Carly?
Yeah I bought the software a few weeks back and picked up a carly adapter the other day. Needs to be a gen 2 adapter to access all the functions. £48 for the software and £68 for the adapter. First impressions are very good. No faults showing on my normal reader but carly found 25.

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Bulb Warning Light!

Post by mac27040 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:49 pm

does carly tell you which bulb is faulty, DIS v57 does, navcoder can deactivate check bulbs
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics