Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

LCM

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

LCM

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:57 pm

I would be very surprised if it is the LCM, there is a self test process. What has the garage checked?

For the post facelift there are two signals to each front indicator bulb from the LCM: 49VL_1 and 2 or 49VR_1 and 2. I would first be carrying out a continuity check of pins 5 and 6 at the headlight followed by putting 12V across them to see if the bulbs light up. This could also be done from the LCM pins to check the continuity at that end. Alternatively it seems the headlight pins are the same on each side, if the connectors are a physical match it's worth swapping them over and testing.

If they do replace the LCM and you still have the problem, what then?
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

-banned-

LCM

Post by -banned- » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:26 pm

take it to different garage, check headlights plug and reset lcm module . Lcm cuts power completely after certain amount of tries .
Z4m coupe :driving:

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

LCM

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:59 pm

The garage may be very good at mechanical stuff..

Id' be going into the the actuations menu via diagnostics and telling the LCM to turn on specific lamps, if it still doesn't work if then check for voltage at the lamp and also a good ground, as it could be just that.. As Steve said above, there are for some reason two completely seperate feeds to the individual bulbs.

Mike

Sinkrate

LCM

Post by Sinkrate » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:06 pm

Cheers all most appreciated, Mike - just sending you an email.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

LCM

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:32 pm

No problem. Whereabouts are you, happy to have a look. I have all the gear.

Mike

Sinkrate

LCM

Post by Sinkrate » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:35 pm

Great thanks mate, South Manchester 50 mins or so

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

LCM

Post by MACK » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:45 pm

If I'm understanding you correctly what you are saying is one of the two indicator bulbs that is in one of your headlights is not lighting up but the other indicator bulb is. The garage you've been to is saying it's not a fault with the headlight unit, bulb or bulb holder but a faulty LCM. If all the above is true I wouldn't buy an expensive LCM I would rewire/tap into the working indicator's wiring to power the one that is not currently lighting up and turn off the bulb warnings with inpa/Carly etc. Might be a bit of a bodge but it's better than spending hundreds on a LCM which will also need to be coded to the car.
Last edited by MACK on Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

LCM

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:12 pm

Andy, is it the same one on each side not working, ie inner/outer?

Mike

Sinkrate

LCM

Post by Sinkrate » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:52 pm

it's just the inner bulb of the left indicator that has the problem. All other lights I've checked and are fine. Cheers for all the info

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

LCM

Post by mac27040 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:52 am

You can use a second hand one but they need coding which the garage I doubt will do as it stored the car mileage and will through a tamper dot on the dash. Have they ran bmw software to identify the fault? What codes did it come up with.
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

LCM

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:18 pm

Andy has just left mine, with the fault repaired.

I have no idea who the garage that had previously looked at it are, but I certainly wouldn't use them.. Will let Andy explain that bit.

Anyway, quick actuations check of all the LCM outputs and yes, no inner os flasher. Codes stored in LCM pointed to an open circuit in the flasher.

Up on the lift and accesses the back of the lamp, much easier than on the floor!

Back probed the feeds with power probe and still nothing. Disconnected headlight from the car and applied power directly with the probe, still nothing, so it's the headlight and not the LCM..

Pulled a spare indicatior bulb and holder from a headlight I had, was starting to remove the one from Andy's car when I realised it was loose... Half a turn clockwise, and voila, code's cleared and data streams monitored, all good.

Some garage... New LCM my @rse...

Mike

dgm

LCM

Post by dgm » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:28 pm

That's scandalous by the garage in question.
06 Z4MC, Sapphire black, Aero sideskirts, BMW strutbrace, CSL's, Remus back boxes, Intravee and Alpine DAB

Sinkrate

LCM

Post by Sinkrate » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:45 pm

Thanks to Mike the car is fixed and really can't believe it after what the garage said about it all during the two times it's been in.

It looks as if they have snapped the inner plastic of the headlight unit as well trying to fit it back together last time and as a result the headlight does not seal properly now! So I now have a headlight with loads of moisture inside it and not sealed. Pretty F'd off with this.
In addition 2 bolts are missing from the headlight unit and it's been stuck back into place with silicone.

The first invoice on the initial fault finding states "indicator bulb replaced" clearly not what happened ! Even if it is a new bulb whoever installed it did not do it properly.

Either they were trying to pull a fast one with the LCM or were just that useless at fault finding and replacing the indicator!

Anyway, thanks to Mike it's all sorted, top bloke. Cheers Mike for helping me out, I'll be back for a few other things for the car as we discussed, new backbox being near the top of the list :)

I'll let you all know what the garage says tomorrow, I'm going to question them on what the hell has happened and what they are going to do about my ruined headlight !

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

LCM

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:34 pm

Gather evidence to support your case. Remember when questioning to ask open questions and simply let them speak, more often than not they will dig a hole...
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Sinkrate

LCM

Post by Sinkrate » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:46 pm

After explaining what actually happened with the headlight the garage are trying to do something about it. I'll see what this comes to this week.......

In the meantime they are trying to source a headlight unit for me. If anyone has a spare (unlikely) facelift xenon nearside headlamp knocking around then that would help me out loads. Even consider a pair and then sell what I have.

Any lighting upgrades / non oem to consider if I'm taking both lights out and replacing (last resort but may happen). Cheers all and thanks for helping me out.