Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Gaptech Confused!!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
dans6490

Gaptech Confused!!

Post by dans6490 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:58 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:55 pm
dans6490 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:53 pm
Ducklakeview wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:49 pm

The Gaptech RCH+ has 5 wires all going to connectors on that panel, not sure about the "RC" only model. When operating the roof from the buttons, do you have to keep the button pressed for it to move the roof, or can you press them briefly and let go with the roof completing the operation on it's own?

Mike
Yeah, literally 10 quick presses once locked/unlocked and that's it. Does windows etc itself. Any less than 10 and nothing happens
10 presses using the buttons on the dash? Something wrong if that's the case...

Mike
No, press unlock/lock on keyfob then press lock/unlock x 10 and the roof opens/closes.

dans6490

Gaptech Confused!!

Post by dans6490 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:00 pm

markeg wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:56 pm
dans6490 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:52 pm
markeg wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:46 pm

As Mike stated, you seem to have red/blue power going up under the roof buttons, Dan?
I gave them a slight pull but it seemed quite solid. So the red/blue wires are an addition then? Might go and pull a bit harder
Looking at the black tape as well, they appear to be non-standard. Which wires are they tapped into under that tape?
The black tape definitely looks non-standard. Hard to see but it appears to be going to the roof buttons

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Gaptech Confused!!

Post by enzed4 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:07 pm

As others have said - trace those wires that are spliced into the loom under the insulation tape - it definitely looks like an add-on and hopefully will reveal the culprit. Have never heard of a 10-click open/close feature on any device; more importantly how in the hell did you work out that was what was required?? :lol:
Still surprised people aren't aware that the remote roof close can be coded (but only on later model Z4's according to Mike. Not sure what the cutoff year was though, is it a face-lift option only?). Still worth investing in a gaptech or similar for the convenience.
OP - have you measured the drain on the battery when the car's sitting switched off?
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Gaptech Confused!!

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:13 pm

enzed4 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:07 pm As others have said - trace those wires that are spliced into the loom under the insulation tape - it definitely looks like an add-on and hopefully will reveal the culprit. Have never heard of a 10-click open/close feature on any device; more importantly how in the hell did you work out that was what was required?? :lol:
Still surprised people aren't aware that the remote roof close can be coded (but only on later model Z4's according to Mike. Not sure what the cutoff year was though, is it a face-lift option only?). Still worth investing in a gaptech or similar for the convenience.
OP - have you measured the drain on the battery when the car's sitting switched off?
I've done it on both pre and post facelifts.

OP - can you follow the wires up and see if they lead to a "little black box" that you can wiggle free?

Mike

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Gaptech Confused!!

Post by markplant » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:16 pm

Just to add to this , mines a July 04 build and has been coded to close, press an hold to close roof but then times out so a second press an hold takes windows up
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

dans6490

Gaptech Confused!!

Post by dans6490 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:22 pm

enzed4 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:07 pm As others have said - trace those wires that are spliced into the loom under the insulation tape - it definitely looks like an add-on and hopefully will reveal the culprit.
Was a bit nervous of pulling too hard but will give it another go. Is there any room to tuck anything behind there? Didn't seem to be
enzed4 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:07 pm Have never heard of a 10-click open/close feature on any device; more importantly how in the hell did you work out that was what was required??
Lol. I was walking away from the car, not long after buying it and heard the roof opening! Couldn't work out what was going on. Tried the gap tech way...nothing, so in the end just kept pressing the button and it closed again!!! Very weird

I also had the inner roll hoop mesh when I bought the car but no deflector, although the mounting bracket was there for the deflector. When charging the battery last week I noticed something mounted to the underside of the boot lid. The wind deflector !!! The previous owner said he'd lost it!!!
enzed4 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:07 pm OP - have you measured the drain on the battery when the car's sitting switched off?
No, that's next on the list. Although I haven't got a clue where to begin.

dans6490

Gaptech Confused!!

Post by dans6490 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:25 pm

Going outside to see if I can find what's attached to the wires

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Gaptech Confused!!

Post by enzed4 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:33 pm

dans6490 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:22 pm
I also had the inner roll hoop mesh when I bought the car but no deflector, although the mounting bracket was there for the deflector. When charging the battery last week I noticed something mounted to the underside of the boot lid. The wind deflector !!! The previous owner said he'd lost it!!!
That's a win :thumbsup:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

dans6490

Gaptech Confused!!

Post by dans6490 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:36 pm

Ok, managed to get the box out and it's one of these:

http://www.cabriomodule.com/func_en.html

No battery so can't check if it works as described on the website.

Next up is how to check what is draining the battery.
Any pointers would be appreciated.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Gaptech Confused!!

Post by markplant » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:50 pm

The instructions for that say 3 short presses so might be worth checking the condition of those connections, as this might cure both issue's
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted