Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Gaptech Confused!!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
dans6490

Gaptech Confused!!

Post by dans6490 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:26 pm

So after having a flat battery, I changed the battery, all being well for a few weeks, had a flat battery again after not driving for a few days. I have come to the conclusion I have something draining the battery.

I've had the car about 2 months and found I was able to remotely open the roof but not via the conventional gap tech way, I have to press the lock/unlock button 10 times to do this!!??

So I wondered if this could be draining the battery but have no idea where "it" is. I've looked in the usual place under the ashtray but can't see anything out of place (photo attached).

Are there any other gap tech style units available that require 10 clicks to open/close? Where else might it be??
Attachments
IMG_2279.JPG
IMG_2279.JPG (376.67 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
IMG_2280.JPG
IMG_2280.JPG (338.73 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
Last edited by dans6490 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Gaptech Confused!!

Post by markeg » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:29 pm

IIRC you can open the roof remotely without a GapTech (I think its called comfort mode, or something similar). You unlock the car then hold the unlock button down. I don't think it has a mode for closing though....
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

dans6490

Gaptech Confused!!

Post by dans6490 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:34 pm

markeg wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:29 pm IIRC you can open the roof remotely without a GapTech (I think its called comfort mode, or something similar). You unlock the car then hold the unlock button down. I don't think it has a mode for closing though....
On mine you unlock the car, press unlock x 10 and the roof opens. Same process to close with lock button. Cant work out why and the last owner didn't know about it!!

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Gaptech Confused!!

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:36 pm

markeg wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:29 pm IIRC you can open the roof remotely without a GapTech (I think its called comfort mode, or something similar). You unlock the car then hold the unlock button down. I don't think it has a mode for closing though....
Depends on the year of the car, and if it's been coded. But you CAN close the roof from the remote also.

OP - Any pics of the module itself that's tapped into those cables? I seem to remember the Gaptech has VERY thin wires, which I can't see in the pic.

Mike

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Gaptech Confused!!

Post by markeg » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:43 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:36 pm
Depends on the year of the car, and if it's been coded. But you CAN close the roof from the remote also.

OP - Any pics of the module itself that's tapped into those cables? I seem to remember the Gaptech has VERY thin wires, which I can't see in the pic.

Mike
The coding could be done at the Dealers or after - Dealers used to call it Comfort mode and charge a pretty penny for it. Pretty sure you cant close with just coding though - you need some form of device for that. There were two for the E85 that I remember people buying - GapTech and SmartTop. Can't remember seeing any others - mine has a GapTech, but also came with Comfort mode before I fitted it (I think it was provided by default on Alpina's).

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Gaptech Confused!!

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:45 pm

markeg wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:43 pm

Mike
The coding could be done at the Dealers or after - Dealers used to call it Comfort mode and charge a pretty penny for it. Pretty sure you cant close with just coding though - you need some form of device for that. There were two for the E85 that I remember people buying - GapTech and SmartTop. Can't remember seeing any others - mine has a GapTech, but also came with Comfort mode before I fitted it (I think it was provided by default on Alpina's).

You can definitely code it to close from the remote, I've done a few and was surprised myself when it worked!

Mike

dans6490

Gaptech Confused!!

Post by dans6490 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:45 pm

Mike
I've added another photo, not sure if it helps? Is that white connector an add-on or should it be there? There doesn't seem to be anything else in that space

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Gaptech Confused!!

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:46 pm

dans6490 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:34 pm
On mine you unlock the car, press unlock x 10 and the roof opens. Same process to close with lock button. Cant work out why and the last owner didn't know about it!!
Can't see it being a Gaptech then, the opening is 3 x open clicks approx 0.5 sec apart, and to close it's 2 x open and 1 x lock, so that the car is locked when the roof closes.

Mike

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Gaptech Confused!!

Post by markeg » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:46 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:36 pm OP - Any pics of the module itself that's tapped into those cables? I seem to remember the Gaptech has VERY thin wires, which I can't see in the pic.

Mike
As Mike stated, you seem to have red/blue power going up under the roof buttons, Dan?

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Gaptech Confused!!

Post by markeg » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:48 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:45 pm You can definitely code it to close from the remote, I've done a few and was surprised myself when it worked!

Mike
Shame you weren't around a few years back, Mike - remember quite a few trying to get the remote close working; most ended up joining one of the group buys on the GapTech!

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Gaptech Confused!!

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:49 pm

dans6490 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:45 pm

I've added another photo, not sure if it helps? Is that white connector an add-on or should it be there? There doesn't seem to be anything else in that space
The Gaptech RCH+ has 5 wires all going to connectors on that panel, not sure about the "RC" only model. When operating the roof from the buttons, do you have to keep the button pressed for it to move the roof, or can you press them briefly and let go with the roof completing the operation on it's own?

Mike

dans6490

Gaptech Confused!!

Post by dans6490 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:52 pm

markeg wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:46 pm
Ducklakeview wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:36 pm OP - Any pics of the module itself that's tapped into those cables? I seem to remember the Gaptech has VERY thin wires, which I can't see in the pic.

Mike
As Mike stated, you seem to have red/blue power going up under the roof buttons, Dan?
I gave them a slight pull but it seemed quite solid. So the red/blue wires are an addition then? Might go and pull a bit harder

dans6490

Gaptech Confused!!

Post by dans6490 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:53 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:49 pm

The Gaptech RCH+ has 5 wires all going to connectors on that panel, not sure about the "RC" only model. When operating the roof from the buttons, do you have to keep the button pressed for it to move the roof, or can you press them briefly and let go with the roof completing the operation on it's own?

Mike
Yeah, literally 10 quick presses once locked/unlocked and that's it. Does windows etc itself. Any less than 10 and nothing happens

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Gaptech Confused!!

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:55 pm

dans6490 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:53 pm
Ducklakeview wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:49 pm

Mike
Yeah, literally 10 quick presses once locked/unlocked and that's it. Does windows etc itself. Any less than 10 and nothing happens
10 presses using the buttons on the dash? Something wrong if that's the case...

Mike

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Gaptech Confused!!

Post by markeg » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:56 pm

dans6490 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:52 pm
markeg wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:46 pm

Mike
I gave them a slight pull but it seemed quite solid. So the red/blue wires are an addition then? Might go and pull a bit harder
Looking at the black tape as well, they appear to be non-standard. Which wires are they tapped into under that tape?