Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rev Counter / Tacho - Not Zeroing Problem

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
rubble

Post by rubble » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:06 pm

Hello folks, I'm looking for thoughts on an issue I'm having with rev counter not zeroing on my 2006 3.0SI E86...

While the rev counter still works it does not zero. It appears to get stuck higher up the rev range. So for example with the engine off (yes off - not idling) rev counter has indicated between 4000-5000rpm. If I start the car and accelerate the rev counter increases and goes off the scale reducing back to indicated 4000-5000rpm again when decelerating back to idle. I have checked engine speed through OBD and it is normal (i.e idling ~800-900rpm)

I have performed the instrument cluster test (eg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZY90qwgIEY) (which btw is pretty cool) and the rest of the instrument binnacle appears to be working as normal (although I do currently have brake, DSC and tyre amber warning lights - but that is a whole other issue...). Doing the instrument cluster test does seem to reset the rev counter but not to true zero rather it pulls the counter back to 1000-2000rpm with engine off and indicates ~3000rpm idling (again actual engine idle speed is normal). Over time counter gets stuck higher up the rev range again.

I'm somewhat reluctant to take it in as I expect solution will be new instrument cluster which seems excessive as the rest of it is working fine...but after extensive googling I've come up with literally no ideas and haven't been able to find anyone else with a similar issue on the forums...appreciate any thoughts on how I may resolve.

Ta

Tomz4m

Post by Tomz4m » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:14 pm

Contact this guy he will be able to fix it cheap www.facebook.com/maspeedo