Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

'BANG' on the rear brakes

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
stevengude

Post by stevengude » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:27 pm

Recently i've noticed that when i brake i get a bang noise from the passenger side rear brake/suspension. Only happens between 5 - 20mph

it went away when i pumped my tyres up, now i've fixed the puncture it has come back again!

Andy has stripped the brakes out and can't see anything, but possible movement in the top of the shock absorber.

Has anyone else experienced this?

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:43 pm

broken spring maybe?
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:43 pm

Recently replaced rear pads? Possibly not quite the same dimensions, allowing them to rotate forward in the caliper on first use, if you drive forward and brake so it clicks, try then driving in reverse and seeing if it does it again. Presume Andy would have checked that though, as he seems pretty thorough.

Had it on my van last year, funnily enough on the rears also, measured the dimensions of the old V new pad backing plates with the vernier calipers, and the new (Brembo no less) were half a mm or so shorter, but it was enough to allow them to move enough to hear it. Once I knew what it was, I put them back in as knew it wasn't anything critical. Don't even notice it now, prob a result of brake dust mixing with the Pagid Cera-Tec grease, and being used to it.

Mike

stevengude

Post by stevengude » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:50 pm

Not been changed since march time and this has only been happening recently

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:44 pm

My Mazda3 used to do an ABS check at about 15 mph, that used to make a clang some times, never heard of that on a Zed though.