Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

3 Point Strut Bar dont line up......

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Kap'nZ4

Post by Kap'nZ4 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:01 am

After I found the left side strut brace snapped on the tower, which really turned out to be the mounting on the tower itself, I figured I would by pass and go straight to the 3 point strut bar.

Of course there are a hand full ranging from $600 to $80. Some hinged and a couple not. Hinged wont realy do anything any way so nixed those.

I selected the Ultra Racing one after reading much on line and it is supposed to bolt right on minus the bonnet alarm switch.

Well that don't seem to be so. Either the geometry on the bar is off or my towers are incorrect some how. :x I see no mushrooming of the towers like I have seen in pictures around the net.

I have also had the top strut mounts replaced and a 4 wheel alignment done since I had also bought new rims and tires.
Pics below, and ideas on how I can get the left side any closer to fitting? I did jack the car on the left side to see if it would get me any closer and that was a no go. :headbang:

God saw me fit enough to drive it. It's my responsibility to drive it the way its meant to be drove. (All Roads Open.) Mods and fixes are mounting and I don't care, as it will be drove come hell or high water. :D

Nash3vans

Post by Nash3vans » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:29 am

Hello, try it on a friends zed to see if it fits their car. If it does fit, then you have chassis problems I reckon. If it doesnt, send it back !
2005 merlot 2.5 auto.313s.e46 m3 front brakes.Strut brace,poly bush’s front, m front bumper,modified grilles,bc racing coilovers,facelift lights all round,modified rear bumper,s/wheel retrimmed, Merc slk seats. scorpion exhaust, many interior mods.

bobo075

Post by bobo075 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:14 pm

Did you try to lift your car on both side ?

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Post by hopz121 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:18 pm

Nash3vans wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:29 am Hello, try it on a friends zed to see if it fits their car. If it does fit, then you have chassis problems I reckon. If it doesnt, send it back !
This, does seem well out of line though so hopefully its a manufacturing issue!

Let us know how it goes :)
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:48 pm

Just a note, whilst appreciating you are trying to line things up, if you jack the car without the strut in place you are definitely deforming the monocoque chassis. If you jack under the sill points even more so and that location unlikely to realign the towers if they were out, lifting under a suspension arm MIGHT lift the tower around but it's pot-luck. TIS is clear that jacking without a strut is a no-no.

I reckon some careful triangulated measuring of the towers and front end will help to understand if it's the car that's out, or likewise trace the brace & holes on to a flat sheet and again check some triangulated measurements.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost