Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help - rear side light

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
synthedup

Help - rear side light

Post by synthedup » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:51 pm

Hi guys,

Hope someone can help.

My rear side light is out and my mechanic says it is a LED strip and you can only replace the whole unit!! has anyone replaced just the LED strip by stripping the unit down?

Hope someone can help
Thanks

biojo

Help - rear side light

Post by biojo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:03 pm

which light you onabout, dont believe any of our models had LED, there designed to look like a bar but take normal bulbs, you got a pic

synthedup

Help - rear side light

Post by synthedup » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:11 pm

biojo wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:03 pm which light you onabout, dont believe any of our models had LED, there designed to look like a bar but take normal bulbs, you got a pic
No pic currently, its a face-lift rear light. Sidelight

I didnt think they were LED either but apparently are.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Help - rear side light

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:38 pm

I don't know of anyone who has repaired, though I don't think it would be impossible. Your best bet is to get a scrappy one or a pair off ebay then try and repair yours. I imagine they will be SMDs soldered to the unit.

They are 100% LED.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

jack07

Help - rear side light

Post by jack07 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:16 pm

I found a tiny spade connector on the back of mine slightly loose/misshaped.Slight tweak sorted.Worth checking.
:driving: :thumbsup: :) This is the car I've been waiting for http://s611.photobucket.com/user/markhorner100/albums

synthedup

Help - rear side light

Post by synthedup » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:58 pm

jack07 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:16 pm I found a tiny spade connector on the back of mine slightly loose/misshaped.Slight tweak sorted.Worth checking.

Thanks Jack. Will take a look tomorrow.

If that where the wireing loom plugs into the unit?

synthedup

Help - rear side light

Post by synthedup » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:59 pm

jack07 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:16 pm I found a tiny spade connector on the back of mine slightly loose/misshaped.Slight tweak sorted.Worth checking.

Thanks Jack. Will take a look tomorrow.

If that where the wireing loom plugs into the unit?

jack07

Help - rear side light

Post by jack07 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:01 am

Hi,Yes,my nearside rear was out so I went to change the bulb,only to find the tail lights are l.e.d.!Nightmare!Bound to be a gen only part at a Bavarian price!Checking around the back of the circuit board /connector area I found a very small spade connector pushes onto a post,and wiggled it...light On!The connector was in need of reshaping very slightly to make it grip to the post,a dot of switch cleaner and have had no trouble for the past year.Good luck ,hope yours is as easy to fix .
:driving: :thumbsup: :) This is the car I've been waiting for http://s611.photobucket.com/user/markhorner100/albums