Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Annoyed

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Annoyed

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:28 pm

I know repairs are possible, but I've not measured this one, either way I know of fatal collisions where blowout from a repair was caused so will likely replace. Is it me or do people seem to leave more crap lying about in the road...

:headbang:
Attachments
WP_20170805_14_51_35_Pro.jpg
WP_20170805_14_51_35_Pro.jpg (180.36 KiB) Viewed 1619 times
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Annoyed

Post by Ewazix » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:46 pm

Bloody annoying!

It looks a good distance inside the repairable area (inside shoulder on tread area) and the tyre looks like it's in really sound shape, providing the inside isn't damaged I really can't see a problem with a repair being safe on that one. The repairs that fail are more likely ill advised positions near the wall or more often on a tyre that's been driven on whilst flat damaging the structure. It definitely looks savable :thumbsup:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Sgr74

Annoyed

Post by Sgr74 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:59 pm

Also annoyed. I was on my way back from Windermere to Keswick. Just outside Ambleside was a "huge" pothole. I couldn't miss it. Had to stop along the road to check the car. Very lucky there was no damage(that I can see). Bad hole on a popular road.
Black 2.5 Roadie.

bluespit

Annoyed

Post by bluespit » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:47 pm

Had a nail through the tread on my 5 series run flat 25 miles from home. So ran it flat home then to the repairers 5 miles away the next morning. Tyre knackered but would have been repairable. Sidewall damaged.

What's all this runflat crap!
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Annoyed

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:50 pm

Ewazix wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:46 pm Bloody annoying!

It looks a good distance inside the repairable area (inside shoulder on tread area) and the tyre looks like it's in really sound shape, providing the inside isn't damaged I really can't see a problem with a repair being safe on that one. The repairs that fail are more likely ill advised positions near the wall or more often on a tyre that's been driven on whilst flat damaging the structure. It definitely looks savable :thumbsup:
Measured by eye to the edge and it's close to the 34mm I calculated as the start of the 'T'.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Annoyed

Post by Taz » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:00 pm

Bum that's not good

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Annoyed

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:03 pm

bluespit wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:47 pm Had a nail through the tread on my 5 series run flat 25 miles from home. So ran it flat home then to the repairers 5 miles away the next morning. Tyre knackered but would have been repairable. Sidewall damaged.

IMHO they're only good for getting you off the motorway, possibly home. Toast once used so...

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Annoyed

Post by buzyg » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:16 pm

I would be tempted to ask if that could be repaired. Not sure you will be able to get another MPSS, they are vanishing fast.

Devon Eleven

Annoyed

Post by Devon Eleven » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:18 pm

A colleague of mine caught a guy in Honiton leaving 3 inch nails all along Devonshire road only a few weeks back. Even outside the ambulance station! Followed him to his car, took a pic and sent it to the police. The feedback was he has mental health issues and that the matter had now been resolved.

TR4man

Annoyed

Post by TR4man » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:10 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:03 pm
bluespit wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:47 pm Had a nail through the tread on my 5 series run flat 25 miles from home. So ran it flat home then to the repairers 5 miles away the next morning. Tyre knackered but would have been repairable. Sidewall damaged.

IMHO they're only good for getting you off the motorway, possibly home. Toast once used so...
Isn't that the purpose of them?

They mean you don't have to stop when you have a punctured tyre, as the tyre will not totally deflate due to the reinforced sidewall. You can continue driving for (I think) 50 miles to a tyre shop for repair or replace. It's a convenience thing.
2006 E86 Si Sport as a daily driver.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Annoyed

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:00 pm

TR4man wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:10 pm
Scooba_Steve wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:03 pm

Isn't that the purpose of them?

They mean you don't have to stop when you have a punctured tyre, as the tyre will not totally deflate due to the reinforced sidewall. You can continue driving for (I think) 50 miles to a tyre shop for repair or replace. It's a convenience thing.
I think that's more like it - convenience. My point is that I don't really think they offer that in enough wide enough circumstances to really achieve it. If you're more than 50 miles from home, no good. Night, tyre shops closed, no good. Once they have been used 'flat', have to be replaced, so if they need ordering in, still a recovery job.
Safer? Maybe in equally limited circumstances, like getting off the motorway at the next junction. I've got gunk in the boot for the limp home aspect that RFT provide and recovery which could still be needed with RFT.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Annoyed

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:01 pm

buzyg wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:16 pm I would be tempted to ask if that could be repaired. Not sure you will be able to get another MPSS, they are vanishing fast.
Eagle Assy 3, similar tread huh?

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Annoyed

Post by buzyg » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:04 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:01 pm
buzyg wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:16 pm I would be tempted to ask if that could be repaired. Not sure you will be able to get another MPSS, they are vanishing fast.
Eagle Assy 3, similar tread huh?
Similar indeed. :)

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Annoyed

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:19 pm

Runflats don't just blow up after 50 miles. I have no doubt you could travel 100 miles on it or more with care. Think cold wet night, female, alone, etc. Or dangerous motorway hard shoulder. It'll get you to safety and out of danger.
Second big factor is packaging - there just isn't the need or space to carry a big tyre around in a modern car
I dont like runflats but understand the need
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Annoyed

Post by Nictrix » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:28 am

I would be tempted to unscrew that out to see if it has actually punctured the tyre.
I have done this a few times after finding a screw in a tyre and decided to take it out to find it was a really short screw and had not gone all the way through.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)