Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dead roof motor?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
oldgitdave

Dead roof motor?

Post by oldgitdave » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:29 pm

Not had the car 3 weeks & it looks like the roof motor has given up the ghost :cry:. It's been perfect, probably less than 10 seconds in each direction. Opened coming home from work today & closed it when I got home. Went out with Mrs oldgit to a local pub classic car show this evening & windows dropped, it unlocked from the top of the windscreen then nothing, no noise, nothing :( . Ended up using the hydraulic disconnect & dropping it manually, then locked it down using the button.
So looks like the main motor has failed but do they just go like that without any warning? Could it be a fuse perhaps?
The only time the car has been wet was when I washed it last week & washed & proofed the roof. Drains appeared to run clear. It's not been out in the rain at all, the last owner who had it 2 years said it didn't go out in the rain. He only covered 2000 miles in that time which is why he sold it. I don't have any reason to disbelieve him.
Any advise greatly appreciated here guys.
Dave
Zedless :(

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Dead roof motor?

Post by markeg » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:09 pm

Any lights showing on the roof button?

Also, whereabouts are you located as there are a number of roof guys on the forum that can help you out?
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

oldgitdave

Dead roof motor?

Post by oldgitdave » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:48 pm

Yes, flashing red light on button whilst pressing. I'm just north of Derby. Thanks.

oldgitdave

Dead roof motor?

Post by oldgitdave » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:30 am

I did say in my very first post that I needed to get the roof motor moved but was hoping to wait until next spring :| . I think that Ducklakeview is the nearest to me if he'd be willing to do it? Was hoping to save up a few pennies & maybe have an exhaust mod too :D. Not sure how Mrs o would react to that though :violent1:

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Dead roof motor?

Post by markplant » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:08 am

You could also try andyfanshawe for a price he's in Chesterfield,
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Dead roof motor?

Post by markeg » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:15 am

OK, simple diagnostics are:

- Amber light usually means parcel shelf down or microswitch open; both mean pump is OK but roof wont go down until you address the parcel shelf/microswitch issue
- Red light flashing usually means a pump issue, or a locking/alignment issue (if the roof moves). If your roof isn't moving, then either the pump has gone or the hydraulic line has leaked. If there is no roof noise at all, I would suspect the pump.
- No light means fuse :)

The motors do go "just like that" (can never say that without thinking of Tommy Cooper) - and the last owner's treatment isn't any guarantee of the motor not being rusted & siezed. As a 2004, and if its on the original motor, its had 13 years, so is doing well!

I had mine replaced a few years ago by an Indy - cost £770 - and then relocated to the boot by Dave (in Durham). The current crop of guys will replace for a lot less than I paid, and relocation is a no brainer (IMO)
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Dead roof motor?

Post by RickRob » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:29 am

Mine stopped with very little warning. One morning it went down slightly slower than normal and then never moved again.

Bowser134 sorted me out about 3 weeks after it failed and the motor was seized solid, even thought the casing didn't look too bad. I gather that most get new life breathed into them. I ended up with a refurbished motor in the boot for about £350 all in.

It lasted 10 years which given the crap design wasn't too bad.

Hope you get yours sorted.
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Dead roof motor?

Post by jamie_z4 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:29 am

pm Ducklakeview on here - he charges 80 for a motor relocation or not much more to sort it out if it isnt working! A LOT cheaper than anyone else - based in St Helens :D
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

oldgitdave

Dead roof motor?

Post by oldgitdave » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks a lot for all your help guys :thumbsup:. Deffo looks like motor then from markeg's diagnostic help. Will get in touch with these guys & see what they can suggest & do :)

oldgitdave

Dead roof motor?

Post by oldgitdave » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:40 pm

I've been up to DLV today & had the motor refurb'd & relocated. Turned out to be a much bigger job than anticipated as a previous owner had been in there before :| . Bit of a bodge job; bowden cable trapped, hydraulic pipes not routed correctly & the casing was broken & had been stitched with staples that could easily have punctured one of the hydraulic pipes :o. Mike sorted it though & I'm well happy :thumbsup: . So, thanks Mike for an excellent job done, sorry it was a bit of a PITA.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Dead roof motor?

Post by Ducklakeview » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:58 pm

oldgitdave wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:40 pm I've been up to DLV today & had the motor refurb'd & relocated. Turned out to be a much bigger job than anticipated as a previous owner had been in there before :| . Bit of a bodge job; bowden cable trapped, hydraulic pipes not routed correctly & the casing was broken & had been stitched with staples that could easily have punctured one of the hydraulic pipes :o. Mike sorted it though & I'm well happy :thumbsup: . So, thanks Mike for an excellent job done, sorry it was a bit of a PITA.
No probs m8, was nice to meet you. Whoever had done it previously had actually wrapped the hydraulic hoses and bowden cable around the ram! They had, as Dave mentioned, also decided to fix the broken lug on the housing with stainless steel staples, that were mm away from the hoses, so I couldn't risk tugging on them. All sorted in the end, but took a bit longer than usual...

Mike