Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Handbrake problem

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Tysonwills

Handbrake problem

Post by Tysonwills » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:06 am

my mechanic just checked my handbrake and noticed that the cog teeth were worn away and said I needed a handbrake unit.
My problem is I have an mot shortly and need to get it sorted, I dont want to pay BMW for the part as they quote crazy money so have been online and they are very few if any for my z4 2004.
There are lots off other BMW handbrakes going cheaper so does anyone know what other models if any handbrake would fit my z4.
Cheers

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Handbrake problem

Post by MACK » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:40 am

Hi.
I dont know if you have ever heard of it but you can use a site called realoem.com which is BMWs parts catalogue online to check this sort of thing. However I can save you the hassle on this occasion the handbrake lever is specific to the e85/6. I think they're north of a £100 new so not cheap. The parts been revised a couple of times since launch, which usually means it's proving problematic and this coupled to the fact my mates garage has replaced a few on e85s (both fairly early cars) has led me to suspect this is an increasingly common fault on the zed unfortunately, particular early cars. Hopefully the revised part has sorted the issue and buying a second hand one might be a false economy if it's an early part as it may fail again in the same way. I'm not sure off the top of my head if it's changeable without the centre console out which is a bit of mission in itself. Sorry!
If you do decide to use a secondhand bit do a search on ebay for z4 breaking and contact some of the seller's to see if they have one. Not many list it individually but most would whip one off
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Tysonwills

Handbrake problem

Post by Tysonwills » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:26 am

Cheers for the advice MACK

Buckz

Handbrake problem

Post by Buckz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:29 am

right the teeth might be worn away but the question is -;

does the handbrake hold the car? does the handbrake lever still "click" when the button is depressed? if so just leave it.

mot is not going to rip apart your trim to see if the teeth are worn or not.

they're going to see if the handbrake is able to hold the car at a certain angle and thats it.

Tysonwills

Handbrake problem

Post by Tysonwills » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:44 am

it doesnt work at all no hold whatsoever

Tysonwills

Handbrake problem

Post by Tysonwills » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:44 am

sounds like it could be an expensive fix

greg81

Handbrake problem

Post by greg81 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:59 am

Does something like this not do the trick, or do the cogs in question live in another part?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z4-E85-E8 ... SwqeZZcfPU

Tysonwills

Handbrake problem

Post by Tysonwills » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:02 am

he wont post to n.ireland for some reason

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Handbrake problem

Post by MACK » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:51 pm

My choice of them two would be the second one as it's from an auto and auto drivers tend to not use the handbrake as much as manual drivers. So hopefully may not be as worn. It's a bit pricey though so I'd message them an offer. The other ones says posts to mainland only so that's out. Might be worth a call to sytners in Lincoln who offer z4 forum discount, just to see how much they can get one to you for.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Handbrake problem

Post by Ewazix » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:39 pm

MACK wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:51 pm My choice of them two would be the second one as it's from an auto and auto drivers tend to not use the handbrake as much as manual drivers. So hopefully may not be as worn. It's a bit pricey though so I'd message them an offer. The other ones says posts to mainland only so that's out. Might be worth a call to sytners in Lincoln who offer z4 forum discount, just to see how much they can get one to you for.
The later 2006 item was the last of 3 versions of the handbrake units (serial No ending 127) so might in theory be the one to go for, as you said previously they hopefully ironed out the problems with this one

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=34_1292

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?i ... 4406774798
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Handbrake problem

Post by MACK » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:24 pm

Ewazix wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:39 pm
MACK wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:51 pm My choice of them two would be the second one as it's from an auto and auto drivers tend to not use the handbrake as much as manual drivers. So hopefully may not be as worn. It's a bit pricey though so I'd message them an offer. The other ones says posts to mainland only so that's out. Might be worth a call to sytners in Lincoln who offer z4 forum discount, just to see how much they can get one to you for.
The later 2006 item was the last of 3 versions of the handbrake units (serial No ending 127) so might in theory be the one to go for, as you said previously they hopefully ironed out the problems with this one

Normally Id agree, but the listing saying postage to mainland only, so its not an option for the OP unfortunately as it would be ideal as you say. Until this thread I never realised getting something posted to Northern Ireland was such a pain in the arse. Remote Scottish Islands etc are one thing, but an entire country within the UK!
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Handbrake problem

Post by Ewazix » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:45 pm

MACK wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:24 pm
Ewazix wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:39 pm

Normally Id agree, but the listing saying postage to mainland only, so its not an option for the OP unfortunately as it would be ideal as you say. Until this thread I never realised getting something posted to Northern Ireland was such a pain in the arse. Remote Scottish Islands etc are one thing, but an entire country within the UK!
N. Ireland is a Royal Mail UK postage destination providing it has a UK post code it's a standard service cost, I'd message the seller and point this out, apparently a lot of sellers think it's going to cost more. I'm not sure about other parcel services, if necessary pay the bit extra?
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

bz4kev

Handbrake problem

Post by bz4kev » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:03 am

classiccarspares2015 on ebay also have one for sale :thumbsup:
2004 z4 30i auto Toledo blue stubby Areo front back sideskirts and rear spoiler M/// MFSW DLV exhaust mod mma tips vanos overhaul 108s refurbed ram air scoop E46 M3 heated seats clear rear lights M/// sport black grills

Tysonwills

Handbrake problem

Post by Tysonwills » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:30 pm

Cheers for all the advice guys.
I have tracked one down in quarry bmw spares for a good price . does anyone know how difficult they are to fit