Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sat nav screen issues

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
domsz4

Sat nav screen issues

Post by domsz4 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:13 pm

so the screen wont pop up. it will go down when you turn the car off (if you pry it up first). it tries to pop up and jitters. if you prise it up a little the buttons will step the screen but the open/close button is non responsive. and im pretty sure there was nothing on it.

so questions...

can it be reset, how do you do that.
are there any little checks you can do to see if its got issues, in software or other.
anyone got any diagrams on how the blessed thing comes apart and off the dash
Proud Whip owner ;)

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Sat nav screen issues

Post by markplant » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:15 am

On the rear edge of the screen nearest the windscreen is a rectangular cover, this comes off an there's 2 or 3 screws in there, then it's air vents out , you'll see 4 screws but only 2 are for the screen, the plug for wiring is at the bottom of the dash behind the removable panel below heater controls, iirc the screen lifts out right hand side first due to the motor overhang on the over end
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Rich8

Sat nav screen issues

Post by Rich8 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:27 pm

Did you get this sorted?
Might be worth trying a new battery before you chuck too much money at it.
My screen stopped opening - no one could figure out why, I assumed it was bust and didn't like the price of second hand monitors much (look to be £600 + if you can find one) so got a new pioneer headunit fitted with flip out screen and satnav and Bluetooth/handsfree etc coz it wasn't much more money and got me some features I didn't have before.

Left the dead screen where it was, it bugged me at first sitting there redundant, but short of putting a new dash in from a non-nav car there wasn't really any feasible options to remove it and cover the hole it would leave without it looking shite.

Then got a new battery a month or so later, an lo and behold the screen flipped open to say hi!

I'd be a lot more peeved if the new headunit wasn't a big improvement (for my needs anyway), but at least I can swap the original back in and have it all OEM and working when I come to resell should a potential new owner prefer.

IfI had changed the battery a month earlier however, I wouldn't have changed the headunit (would have carried on coping with my crappy clip to the visor handsfree) and would still be a few hundred quid better off.

There were no other signs that the battery was on the way out when the screen first stopped working. Possible it could be nothing to do with the battery, but seemed like a big coincidence.