Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

satnav/radio screen motor

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:22 pm

ive been reading around about issues with the screen not popping up and mine is goosed. wont open, buttons non responsive or will step a bit. if you gently pry it open nothing on screen but will step etc.

so does anyone have aworking screen they want to sell quickly? doing a 360 each way trip and the thought of no radio is not a good one.

has anyone found a place that will fix these at all??

is the X3 screen the same as ours the part numbers are almost identical
Proud Whip owner ;)

domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:15 pm

Ok so bleeding sods law!

I took it apart... Pretty straight forward once its out and inspected all the cogs amd drive gears. Tested all the feeds and switches with a meter.. Gave it all a clean. Bolted it back together and bosh its working...

Oh amd took a punt and bought tbe X3 unit from ebay.... Doh
Proud Whip owner ;)

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:30 pm

If the x3 unit does plug in an work then the information might be useful to others,glad you sorted yours
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

jampudding

Post by jampudding » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:30 pm

glad you got it sorted. out of interest was the x3 unit the same as the z4 unit?
Z4 3.0i Auto Black Sapphire - Dream Red Oregon - Wind Deflector/Isofix/Seat Heating/Xenon/TV/BT/Prof Carver/Elec Fold Ext Mirrors/Grad Tint WindScreen/Auto Dim Int & Ext/ Storage Comp Pack/PDC/CC/Nav Sys Prof/6 CD Changer/DDC/Chrome Line Int etc etc

domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:47 pm

No i don't think it is identical. Going from pictures. So until it's in my hands i can't say.

But the motor is. The past numbers are the same..

Its a matter of moments to check if it works just pop the panel off under the radio and swap connectors. The pins appear to be the same. But it does make you wonder. If there is an upgrade there. A few places indicated the dvd drive was the same so if that's just a software update and a simple screen change to get better resolution?...

Ive kept the unit on order as it's worth a play and I don't trust it won't break again. I'm guessing my feettli g did little more than mine the motor a step or two around so it's not starting in exactly the same place
Proud Whip owner ;)

jampudding

Post by jampudding » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:59 pm

Interesting to know. Would be great if there was a simple solution to updating the SatNav.
Thanks.
Z4 3.0i Auto Black Sapphire - Dream Red Oregon - Wind Deflector/Isofix/Seat Heating/Xenon/TV/BT/Prof Carver/Elec Fold Ext Mirrors/Grad Tint WindScreen/Auto Dim Int & Ext/ Storage Comp Pack/PDC/CC/Nav Sys Prof/6 CD Changer/DDC/Chrome Line Int etc etc

domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:04 pm

Ok chaps
Its a mixed bag of news.
Good is the screen plugs in and works. Opens shuts steps still. Looks like a 1990 mega drive interface.

Bad news is the facia is not the same. Subtle differences but different. The screen and motor are the same as are the mounting points for the motor mechanism.

I would say that you could either adapt tbe hole and the x3 facia or you could swap motor and screen over

The latter is probably the best but would take a little effort and as i need the car for tm am ill leave it fir another day

I e got pics but now photo bucket is goosed where can I host them?
Proud Whip owner ;)

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:07 pm

As above x3 is different housing. If motor numbers are the same I'd swap all the bits over to the Z4 one.