Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DSC warning light, yellow handbrake warning light and runflat light

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
tobysvjones1

Post by tobysvjones1 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:12 pm

Hi,I have an 08 2.5 Sport, the 3 warning lights have all come up in yellow today. I've searched the forum and seen multiple reasons for this.
However, to make sure the brakes were working ok I accelerated and braked hard (to activate the ABS), after I did this the warning lights have gone out.
I suspect they will come back, and I will be taking it to a garage, but I wonder if the fact that they went out after the ABS was activated that this pointed more to a sensor issue?
Thanks in advanced!

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:02 pm

How much is left in your pads. Does sound like a possible brake sensor on the blink.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:19 pm

Brake senseo does not trigger all three lights though. If it is the abs pump, your activation of the abs might have temporarily sorted it. The dealer tried that with my broken pump as well (electronically) to pulse the pump into action (without success).
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:05 pm

If memory serves that many lights would be an ABS issue, possibly the sensor which ties in with you testing the ABS, could be a sensor on the blink
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:08 pm

well in my case they came up after a stall(don't ask me how but I failed while parking ha) and then went out after I restarted the car after work..

then I had it again after starting up after fueling up and it went out again after sitting for a while.

I personally think in my case it is weak battery but it starts the car fine all the time so it's a bit odd.

rob3770

Post by rob3770 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:54 pm

Hi,

I've had the same issue with mine on the second day of ownership two weeks ago... Luckily its under warranty but I suspect you will find you need a new ABS unit.. sorry...

rob

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:23 pm

I had those three lights on and it was the wheel speed sensor , makes sense as the wheel speed sensor affects all those systems !

chinobeano

Post by chinobeano » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:57 pm

I had these lights on mine, turned out to be the speed sensor.

I was chatting to the mechanic at the time and he said that there are two parts to the sensor and one can wear the other one down (he went into more detail but I forget most of it)...depending on where the parts are in relation to each other it can cause an intermittent fault. May explain why your lights went off after a while?

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:12 pm

tobysvjones1 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:12 pm but I wonder if the fact that they went out after the ABS was activated that this pointed more to a sensor issue?
The MBC has 2 fluid pressure sensors installed on it that are known to fail and also can create these 3 lights.
This is easily identified with proper obd2 diagnose.
Sometimes these sensors give a 1 time hiccups (so after erasing the code, it doesnt come back), and sometimes these sensors just fail.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch