Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front wishbone rear bushes

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Paulr

Post by Paulr » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:32 pm

Bushes number one on this diagram. Jacking the car up and lifting the wheel up and down produces movement so I am assuming it is worn, plus I have a metallic rattle when driving on bumpy roads. Odd because they are not that old, but the rubber looks damaged so I reckon the garage that fitted them did so without much care.

I see I can fit Powerflex/Polybushes to them, which is evidently easier. So does that mean I remove the existing lollipops, push out the worn bushes, and put the new ones on? I assume it makes sense to do both of them at the same time as well. I don't want a harsher ride, but I do want to make life easier for myself!

If not, where are the best places to get new Lollipops?

Your comments would be most welcomed!
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

rally-chris

Post by rally-chris » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:03 pm

I've just had 'normal' powerflex (i.e. purple) lollipop bushes fitted to mine after the passenger side bush gave up after less than a week of Z4 ownership... I bought some already pressed into housings from eBay (£95 IIRC) ready to do the job myself without needing a press, but in the end I used a local indy to fit them for 1.5 hours labour.

link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-BMW-E46-F ... 2749.l2649

Big difference to the steering feel, i.e. none of the previous kickback over bumps and no vibration or harshness issues in the cabin.

If you want to fit them yourself you'll need a gear puller to pull all or part of the old bush off the wishbone, and a press to fit the new bushes into the housings even if you cut the old ones out.

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:42 pm

You were taken to the cleaners, it's a half hour job...

Usually possible to pull the old ones off by hand with WD40 and twisting them but easier with a puller. This bush is fine to polybush with no appreciable increase in NVH but it does give better steering feel. It's a much easier job with them already fitted to the aluminium housing.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:33 pm

Can the lollipos be removed from the car without removing the lower wishbones? On my Mini it could only be done by removing the lower wishbone first which was a much bigger job.
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:47 pm

Magicarcher wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:33 pm Can the lollipos be removed from the car without removing the lower wishbones?
Yes, once the wheels are in the air.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Toe-side

Post by Toe-side » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:45 pm

There's a how too on this :wink: Under suspension
Before: 2003 3.0 Roadster, Porsche Boxster 987S Now 981S
Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure. Only the paranoid survive