Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Differentiated Air Intake System (DISA) Maintenance

Rudd

Re: Differentiated Air Intake System (DISA) Maintenance

Post by Rudd » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:02 pm

Mine dont today, a little fiddly because i had to take the strut brace off but once that was taken care of i was quite suprised at how little crap was on it and it seemed to be holding together well.

worth spending 30 mins to check out and it is really easy

richard

bigcoose

Post by bigcoose » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:17 pm

Rudd_2002 wrote:Mine dont today, a little fiddly because i had to take the strut brace off but once that was taken care of i was quite suprised at how little crap was on it and it seemed to be holding together well.

worth spending 30 mins to check out and it is really easy

richard
x2 :thumbsup:
you're damned if ya do,you're damned if you dont!!!!

Jokin

Post by Jokin » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:45 am

Here is a video to check the DISA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybCrD0tuMv8

left: not ok ... right: ok

tomTVR

Post by tomTVR » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:33 am

Just changed mine myself. Considering how loud the rattling noise was i expected the old DISA using to be disintegrating yet in fact looked just fine with minimal despoits and only about 1mm of play. The new one solved the rattle problem all the same.

I am useless with a spanner but heres now i saw the DIY fitting:

Pretty easy so long as you don't lose a socket head in the bottom of the engine bay which is still there somewhere :oops:. It took me a while to figure out how to remove the electric plug, i ended up pulling it to pieces. I believe you need to slide the metal clip away from the plug in order to release it, then pull it up.

I needed a flat-head screwdriver to prise off the clips connecting the airbox to the MAF section when disasembling, easily clips back on when putting it back.

Getting the airbox to line up with the rubber feed pipe to the front of the car way a bit fiddly when putting everything back however i got there with time.

Dont forget you need a size 40 torx head for your screwdriver for the DISA unit itself, i got mine from B&Q.

Overall certainly worth saving a few ££'s DIY'ing :thumbsup:

Mr Whippy

Post by Mr Whippy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:22 pm

Mine worked fine too, just rattled lots. That amount of noise can't be a good sign long term, so it was replaced.

The leccy plug, the metal clip pushes IN towards the plug housing itself to release... Ie, it's like a rudimentary button.

I simply removed the jubilee clips at each end of the curved pipe that feeds down to the throttle body from the MAF. It is a bit of a fussy pipe to re-fit, but it's not THAT bad.

An easy job really :)

Still loving my BMW. Bought a full 1l of engine coolant from BMW yesterday for £7.00. Peugeot charged £7.00 for cheaper quality stuff for 700ml bottles! It all adds up.

BMW parts/prices and their parts people are great :)

Dave
04 3.0i, Titanium Silver, 107s, red m-sport interior

TanguyM

Post by TanguyM » Sat May 01, 2010 10:26 am

I have 30 000 miles on my Z4 is it neccesary to clean it or will the mechanics checked it when i bought my Z4?
2004 2.2i, Titansilber, Black leather Seats, Soundgenerator!!!!!

JackGarrett

Post by JackGarrett » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:32 am

Well I did this maintenance today on my N52 engine(mainly because I've been having rough idle). Took about 2 hours(including breaks to smoke, drink some milk, watch some tv with my dad, and recover my back every 20 minutes from bending over[seriously working on this engine way down there is killer on my back].) I was thinking maybe I should have taken pics but oh well... After taking apart the entirety of the intake including engineering my ratchet wrench to a star driver so I could remove the 4 screws holding the adjuster unit in and the screw on the cable plate thingy and the screw on the resonator. After getting all of the bits and pieces of intake tubing out of my way that were necessary I finally got to the 4 screws on the adjuster unit. This was I pulled out my modified ratchet and went to work getting those screws out and to the side neatly placed on my work bench noting which screws came out of each hole just in case there was any variation.

Now I was ready to pull the adjuster out and discover any damage or carbon build up. I tugged, and pulled, and finally it popped out a little just to get stuck on that silly wire holder thing. After taking a break to relax my back and drink a big glass of milk I came back to the project excited to get back to work. I unscrewed that bracket thingy(just the screw at the top and turned the bracket). Now I was ready again to see what it looked like and I really should have taken a picture! It was emaculately clean with no play at all in the mechanism... :headbang: ..

Ok, well after figuring that out I went to take a break and show my dad how clean it was and then came back and put everything back together.. well except for the main tube.. I couldn't get it put back on the resonator. So I took it out and examined the situation of course after almost killing my arm and back trying to get that little tube back on. I decided to go get my star modded wrench again and pull out the resonator. After doing so I needed to use the bathroom so I gave the main tubing and the resonator to my dad and told him to connect them... I get back and he says he couldn't do it. So I examined it a bit more taking note of the design with the little nitch on the bottom to lign up with the nitch on the tube etc.. After a little toying around with it I finally got it on and suprisingly with less effort than I had been.(idk maybe I was trying too hard)... I went back to the z4 and put everything back together also taking note of the little nitches in which the metal screw parts of the clamp fit in. Everything is now nice and tightly fitted into the car. I started her up and let her idle for 10 minutes without the A/C then 10 with. Drove an 8 mile round trip and she seemed to be driving pretty decent but it kind of sounds a little different. The idle also seems to be a little more balanced but still rough around the edges. I know that there is a second adjuster unit on the exhaust manifold side of this car and am wondering if it may be dirty.

So a little while ago I went into wal-mart and got some seafoam. Poured it into the gas tank(well some of it went down the side of the car cause it wasn't going in very fast and I was getting impatient). Gonna put some in the oil tomorrow too and get everything nice and clean on the other sides of things.

If by the next oil change the idle doesn't level out good I'm probably going to take it in under warranty and see about it.

I also find it kind of odd that I didn't do anything and she sounds less whiny and more roary(she went from whiny to upset).. i don't get it... maybe it's just in my head though.(probably just dreaming it up) I'm sure I'll drive it tomorrow after she takes a nap and she will sound normal... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :P :D

billygilly

Post by billygilly » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:51 am

tomTVR wrote:Just changed mine myself. Considering how loud the rattling noise was i expected the old DISA using to be disintegrating yet in fact looked just fine with minimal despoits and only about 1mm of play. The new one solved the rattle problem all the same.
Can you remember roughly how much a new unit is please

holeshot

Post by holeshot » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:59 pm

Thought I'd give this a bash, not that I had any rattling but I do like a bit of preventative.

All very straight forward, with minimum deposits I think you'll agree, small amount of lateral movement on pin

Here's the pics, 03' 2.2 with 44k

Z4 Roadster 2.2se Maldives Blue Black M Sport Heated Seats M Sport Suspension OTH+R

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ranski » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:22 pm

While doing some work on the car this afternoon, I noticed a rattle from my Z4. After closer inspection its coming from the DISA :thumbsdown:

I'm going to order a new one from Soper's, but was wondering if there is much point in taking the current one out and giving it a good clean -
Bearing in mind it could take a few weeks to recieve a new one.

PS anyone have the part number to hand?

(Year 2003 / Miles 38,000)

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

T2FFN

Post by T2FFN » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:31 am

Think this is it: Part # 11617544805

Can you post the price when you find out, I may swap mine.
3.0i

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Differentiated Air Intake System (DISA) Maintenance

Post by ranski » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:40 am

Thanks,

I ordered a few days ago from sopers, £134 Inc vat and delivery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

doofus4000

Post by doofus4000 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:33 pm

n52 owners - going to try this tonight..does the m54 instructions above work for our n52s without much change? how long roughly did it take yous?

imp75

Post by imp75 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:56 pm

does this affect 2.0 engines?
GONE - 2.0, sapphire black, alu trim, mods: msport seat transplant, 30mm drop, clear headlights, ZHP, OTH, strut brace, tinted tail lamps, carbon wrapped grilles and stubby

BluZiff

Post by BluZiff » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:11 pm

do I need a new one?
3.0i Titanium Silver Roadster, Top down and proud!