Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sound Generator Modification

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Sound Generator Modification

Post by DPG » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:34 pm

richardaball wrote:Hi,

I want to add a sound generator to my 2.5l Z4.

Please can you tell me what parts do I need exactly to fit one? And if I need to replace any existing parts with 3.0 parts?

I guess I need all the parts shown in this link:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=13_0999

But is that all or do I need anything else such as a new airbox?

Thanks.
Yeah they are the correct parts, you done need anything else.

I fitted one to my 2.2 and thought it sounded nice with both pieces of foam left in.

ro881e

Post by ro881e » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:33 pm

Mind had both pieces removed when I bought it - sounds great when accelerating but on long motorway journeys it's pretty deafening.

If anyone has one of the removed foam inserts spare I would be interested in buying one!
Z4 E85 3.0i 2003 90k

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:12 pm

ro881e wrote:Mind had both pieces removed when I bought it - sounds great when accelerating but on long motorway journeys it's pretty deafening.

If anyone has one of the removed foam inserts spare I would be interested in buying one!
bud you could just cut a piece of foam from an old car washing sponge or something along those lines.. I'm guessing most folk would want to keep them for selling on the car and such
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:37 pm

mr.tourette wrote:
ro881e wrote:Mind had both pieces removed when I bought it - sounds great when accelerating but on long motorway journeys it's pretty deafening.

bud you could just cut a piece of foam from an old car washing sponge or something along those lines.. I'm guessing most folk would want to keep them for selling on the car and such

Maybe use a piece of foam pipe lagging,
Two bob and a blackies egg from a diy shop :thumbsup:
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

nb67

Post by nb67 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:39 pm

sw4nny wrote:
mr.tourette wrote:

Ha ha, off topic here for me but that's a Yorkshire lad right there!!

I say this all the time and people look at me gone out. Possibly because I say 'ten bob and a blackie's egg'.

Where the chuff does that saying come from as I've been saying it man and boy!
GONE - 3.0i SE. Sterling Grey. 2005.
Gaptech RCH+, ZHP, Stubby. CDV Delete.

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:36 am

nb67 wrote:
sw4nny wrote:
mr.tourette wrote:

Ha ha, off topic here for me but that's a Yorkshire lad right there!!

I say this all the time and people look at me gone out. Possibly because I say 'ten bob and a blackie's egg'.

Where the chuff does that saying come from as I've been saying it man and boy!
No idea where it comes from ,but I too have been using it all my life,dont suppose you get much more Yorkshire than Barnsley :thumbsup:
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

RyanB88

Post by RyanB88 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:49 pm

Nice write up, thanks!

Any chance of pictures being updated for this?
Z4 now sold :(

Current - M235i :thumbsup:

scooobydont

Post by scooobydont » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:15 pm

I have just done this tonight, it takes seconds. There were 3 bits of foam in mine. All out just now. I was skeptical as too the noise but the ROAR over 4000rpm is EPIC. :o

It should be mandatory to try this as it takes seconds to do, costs nothing and is reversible if required.

Keith96

Post by Keith96 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:23 pm

This is a great write up.
Small problem I have is the rubber sleeve at the cockpit end of the pipe has slipped back. The pipe itself seems firmly in!!
Would this be ok? Had difficulty getting the cabin end in but managed it with the sleeve seemingly having slipped back abit.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:12 pm

I would reassemble correctly in case you get any fumes in the cabin, try some silicone spray on the parts if they seem stuck.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Vornwend

Post by Vornwend » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:27 pm

scooobydont wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:15 pm I have just done this tonight, it takes seconds. There were 3 bits of foam in mine. All out just now. I was skeptical as too the noise but the ROAR over 4000rpm is EPIC.

It should be mandatory to try this as it takes seconds to do, costs nothing and is reversible if required.
I've done this too (and loved it so much have left them out) but pretty sure there were only 2 pieces - one short, one long. Intrigued to know how many there should be??
Now: 2004 Z4 3.0i - Merlot Red
Before: VW Corrado VR6 Storm - Classic Green

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:37 pm

My 3.0si had two pieces of foam :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Keith96

Post by Keith96 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:41 am

Thanks Smartbear
Got the rubber collar back in place. I have the pipe back in at the cabin end. The rubber collar is sitting flush but the pipe didn’t really click into place. Is this normal?

BigDaddy

Post by BigDaddy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:21 pm

Just tried this now. Large foam out sounded great but was too much at motorway speeds. Put the large one back in and am now going to give the small one out a try.

It’s extremely easy to do this though and if I didn’t have sensitive ears I’d probably have left the big one out, but it actually felt a bit uncomfortable on my ears.
2004 E85 Z4 3.0 Sterling Grey

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:43 pm

BigDaddy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:21 pm Just tried this now. Large foam out sounded great but was too much at motorway speeds. Put the large one back in and am now going to give the small one out a try
I took the piece out of the bulkhead end as it was easy to pull out with the trim lowered under the glovebox. I find it only makes a noise when you accelerate. Very similar to an old K&N air filter on a carburettor. Cruising on a motorway with no real throttle pushing I found it very quiet.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: