Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Change your Air, Oil and Oil Filter

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Change your Air, Oil and Oil Filter

Post by sk93 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:04 pm

This has probably been discussed on here several times, but I didn't find a specific howto for it, and as I was going to do it, I thought I may as well document the process for all :)
Part-wise I was going to use OEM parts, but the air filter seemed a massive ripoff pricewise, so I went with the Halfords option.
However, the oil filter price difference wasn't worth really considering imo..

Requirements
1x BMW Z4 with the M54 Engine
1x Medium-sized Posidrive Screwdriver
1x 17mm Socket
1x 36mm Socket (although I ended up using a 38mm, so skip to step 7 and check first if you need to buy one!)
1x Ratchet
1x Torque Wrench
1x Replacement Air Filter (BMW Part Number: 13721730946 - £19.22 - Halfords Part Number: HAF295 - £7.19)
1x Replacement Oil Filter (BMW Part Number: 11427512300 - £9.08 - Halfords Part Number: HOF292 - £7.19)
2x 4L of Castrol Edge 0W30 Oil (You'll need approximately 6.5L of oil)
1x Pair of Latex Gloves (Oil is carcinogenic!)
1x Trolly Jack / Scissor Jack / Very strong friend
1x Axle Stand
1x Wheel chock
1x Old Oil Bucket / Tray
1x Rag (Which will later become an Oilly Rag)
1x Oil Funnel (If you haven't got one, don't worry - most oil containers come with spouted necks anyway)

Costs
My total outlay for all of this came to £96.25, as I already had the jack, stands, chock, sockets, ratchet and wrench.
I'm sure you can order the oil online and get it for about 75% of the price, but I just went to Halfords :)

Step 1
Take the car out for at least a five minute drive. This will get the oil warm and thus thinner, which makes draining it later much easier.

Step 2
Put the chock behind the rear wheel of the car and then jack up the front. Once it's high enough for you to crawl under,
back up the jack with the axle stand incase it fails.
Then put on your latex gloves!

Step 3
Locate the airbox in the front right corner of the engine bay:

The top half of the box is clipped to the bottom half with four metal clips. Each of these needs to be unclipped:

Step 4
With the four clips undone, you should now be able to lift the top of the airbox and remove the old air filter (it just lifts up):

Step 5
Insert the new air filter and then resit the top half, before re-attaching all four clips:

And that's all it takes for the air filter to be changed - as simple as it comes :)
Now lets move on to the oil!
IMPORTANT: The oil will still be hot from the drive in step 1, so be careful as it can scold and burn!

Step 6
Remove and clean the oil filler cap and dipstick:

Step 7
Carefully unscrew the oil filter cover using the 36mm socket and lift slightly, allowing the oil still in the filter to drain:

Step 8
Once the oil has drained from the filter, lift the oil filter unit clear of its housing:

Then remove the filter from the filter cover. It is a tight, pushfit and with a little pressure will
slide off the end of the filter cover:

Don't be tempted to replace the filter and re-insert the cover, as this will impede the draining of the old oil

Step 9
Slide yourself under the front of the car. Near the back of the engine bay, you should see a small 8x8 inch service hatch:

Using the posidrive screwdriver, undo the screw at the front edge of this hatch and it should flap down as shown:

Step 10
Inside this service hatch, you should be able to find the oil sump plug bolt (its the only one at the bottom edge if you feel around, be be carefull, as it'll be quite warm!):

Position the oil bucket/tray under this bolt and, using the 17mm socket, remove this bolt.
As you start to undo it, the oil will start to flow out of the engine and into the bucket:

However be wary of the pressure this can cause - don't let the bolt drop into the old oil bucket. Otherwise you will have to wait for the oil to cool down and then fish around within the old oil for the bolt and socket - like I did:(

Step 11
Whilst the oil is draining, you will need to replace the rubber seal on the oil filter cover.
Within the replacement oil filter pack, you will have also recieved a large rubber seal and a small metal washer.

Remove the old rubber seal from the oil filter cover carefully, using the screwdriver to help prise it off:

Once removed, clean the whole oil filter cover unit, removing as much of the old oil as possible.
Then, lubricate the new seal with fresh oil and position on the oil filter cover.
Finally, slide the new oil filter onto the cover and push down firmly until it is in place:

Step 12
On the oil sump plug bolt, you will find a single metal washer; remove this then clean all old oil from the bolt.

Place the metal wash that came with the replacement oil filter on the bolt, so that it is ready to be repositioned in the sump once
all of the old oil has drained:

Step 13
Once all of the old oil has completely drained, replace the sump plug bolt back into place and tighten by hand (this is to avoid cross threading.. if it feels tight right from the start, it's crossthreaded! remove it and try again. Do NOT force it, as this will lead to needing to have the sump replaced.. muchus £££!!)

Once you've got it wound in as far as you can by hand, tighten it with the torque wrench, until it reaches 18ft/lbs (or 24nm) of torque.

Step 14
Clean any residual old oil you can see from within the oil filter housing, then replace the oil filter and cover back into the housing.
Again, tighten this by hand to avoid crossthreading.
Once it's in place, again tighten it with the torque wrench, until it reaches 18ft/lbs (or 24nm) of torque.

Step 15
Pour in six litres of the new oil via the oil filler cap, replace the dipstick, then replace the oil filler cap.
Allow a couple of minutes for the oil to work its way down through the engine, then start the car and allow it to run for approximately a minute.
During this time, do NOT rev the engine or attempt to drive it... you're simply forcing the new oil around in the engine, allowing you get an accurate reading of the oil level.

Step 16
After a minute, turn off the engine and check the oil level via the dipstick. The first time you check, it should be close to, or just above the minimum mark.
If it is low, carefully add another 0.25 of oil, run the engine for a minute and repeat this step.
It should only take one litre of oil to raise the level from the minimum mark, to the maximum.
The stated oil capacity is 6.5 litres, so if you need to add much more than this, check that the new oil is not leaking from either the sump plug, or the oil filter cover.
Be very carefull and do not overfill the engine with oil, as this can be very damaging. If you DO add too much, unscrew the sump plug slightly and allow some oil to drain.

Step 17
Once you have filled the engine oil to the correct capacity, return under the car and close the service hatch, re-tightening the screw to ensure it doesn't flap open whilst driving.

Step 18
Remove the axle stand and slowly lower the car back down and allow it to settle for a minute or so.

Step 19
Finally, start the car and allow it to idle over for a few minutes before switching it off.. check that the oil warning light does not light up after turning the engine off.
Also, recheck the dipstick to ensure you have the correct oil level still.

Step 20
Clean up any spilt oil in and around the engine bay and then dispose of the old oil correctly.
I poured the old oil back into the empty bottles that came with the new oil, then took it to the council dump, where they have an oil disposal point.

And that's it!
If you need to reset your service / oil change interval, simply press and hold the left-hand button under the speedo/tacho dials and turn the key to position 1, whilst still holding the button. Continue holding the button for five seconds and you should see the word "RESET" appear in the top left of the screen.
Release the button, then repress it, again holding it for five seconds. You should see the word "RESET" flash on and off. Press the button again for the final time and you should see te interval reset to the next scheduled one. Turn the key back to position zero and you're all done!

Hopefully this will be of use to some. If you have any comments or questions, please let me know :D
:zzzz:

Rudd

Re: Change your Air, Oil and Oil Filter

Post by Rudd » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:21 pm

great timing, doing mine next week. iv just bought a filter from halfords for my 2.5 and the filter looks considerably smaller. you didnt catch the part number for mine by chance? lol, im sure it must be right.

mine also hasnt got a sump washer with it?

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:49 pm

If you mean oil, I certainly did... HOF295.
And it should have come with the washer, as you shouldn't re-use them.

However, if it doesn't either ask your dealer for one, or (as i suspect they wont sell it without the filter) return the halfords bit and get the filter from the dealer for about a quid more ;)

Rudd

Post by Rudd » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:54 pm

thats the one i got so thats cool. it just hasnt got the sump washer in. i can get one from halfords tomorrow seperately, closer than the dealers :D

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:56 pm

fairyfluff :)
good luck with it, but tbh, it's pretty easy and only took 40 minutes :thumbsup:

jhbuining

Post by jhbuining » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:53 pm

great writeup - much appreciated!
BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe RubyBlack & Honda CB1300AS

Rudd

Post by Rudd » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:34 am

followed your guide for the oil yesterday and it was great help.

halfords had sold me the wrong oil filter, picking up the number for the air instead of oil from the catalogue. after i got it changed it was such an easy job. reset the service meter.

will be doing the brake fluid, plugs and possibly (although i dont know if needed) the diff oil?

m44rrt

Post by m44rrt » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:48 am

Excellent write-up! :thumbsup:

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:51 am

Rudd_2002 wrote:followed your guide for the oil yesterday and it was great help.

halfords had sold me the wrong oil filter, picking up the number for the air instead of oil from the catalogue. after i got it changed it was such an easy job. reset the service meter.

will be doing the brake fluid, plugs and possibly (although i dont know if needed) the diff oil?
glad it helped - I'm doing the plugs tonight / tomorrow, so if I beat you, I'll do a write up for them too ;)

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:51 am

m44rrt wrote:Excellent write-up! :thumbsup:
cheers :D

Rudd

Post by Rudd » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:53 am

sk93 wrote:
Rudd_2002 wrote:followed your guide for the oil yesterday and it was great help.

glad it helped - I'm doing the plugs tonight / tomorrow, so if I beat you, I'll do a write up for them too ;)

i dunno if you have seen but i think there is already one if you need/want a guide. what plugs you using?

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1937

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:25 pm

didn't see that :P Guess no guide is needed, as that's pretty good :thumbsup:

I'm using dealer oem, as I couldn't source any from non-internet sources for cheaper.

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:22 pm

Excellent write up :thumbsup:
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:04 pm

Cheers :thumbsup:

ps, Loving the sig Alan!

adam81

Post by adam81 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:43 pm

Very good write up that ! :thumbsup: