Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Change your Air, Oil and Oil Filter

Gorbash12346

Re: Change your Air, Oil and Oil Filter

Post by Gorbash12346 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:45 pm

also forgot to add the diff oil on all z4's except the M coupe and roadster is lifetime oil and doesn't need to be changedn

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:09 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:I like this write up and as evidenced by the comments helped a lot of people.

One tip I'd add:

If you undo the sump plug first before the oil filter and removing the rocker cap, then the oil will not flow out fast all over your hand while you undo the sump plug as it cannot drain freely. Secondly the oil will drain partly out of the filter bowl reducing mess and have longer to drip out while you do the other jobs.

Warming the engine up is more important than just making the oil flow as it gets all the dirt back into suspension and not left to be washed around in your nice clean oil
Thanks CJ - I will re-order the How-To so that we're taking the sump-plug out first.

It's pretty obvious when you think about it lol.
:zzzz:

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:13 pm

Gorbash12346 wrote: as for the oil adding if you have allowed the car to drain with the oil filter removed until there is nothing more than a small drip from the sump drain the amount needed is excactly 6.5 litres on the dot

hope this helps :thumbsup:
It is.. if you've drained absolutely everything correctly.
But as the old saying goes: Measure twice, cut once.

If you've got half a litre lying around in there and you add 6.5l to it.. then you're probably looking at an expensive repair bill.
So for the amount of time it takes to add 0.25l and then take a reading - I'd say it's well worth doing in the careful way :)

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:14 pm

Shipkiller wrote:One other optional step you can do to fend off oil starvation at initial start-up.

After you put the drain plug back in the oil pan, and before you put the oil filter cartridge in, pour some new oil on the cartridge, put the cartridge in and pour the rest of the bottle into the oil filter cartridge housing. This will minimize the the small amount of start-up starvation that happens after a oil change. It takes a finite amount of time for the oil pump to pressurize the system and allow oil to flow through the filter, and onto the rest of the system.

Good point ShipKiller.

Whilst there aren't any reported bearing problems - it's always better to be safe than sorry :)
I'll add this recommendation to the HowTo.

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:09 pm

On other cars I used to remove the fuel pump fuse and turn the engine on the starter a few times to help the oil move about following an oil change (also pre filled the filter with some oil), anybody do this on the zed?
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

doofus4000

Post by doofus4000 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:01 pm

volvos60 wrote:This is great.

Problem is that you mention checking the oil level with the dipstick as you refill to bring it up to level before you start the engine, as would be normal practice.

My 3.0 Z4 has no dipstick, it has an oil level readout on the instrument panel whcih only gives the oil level after the engine has been running, Any idea how to work around this as you would not want to run the engine until you know you have a decent oil level - catch 22?
Dont think this question was answered and I will shortly be in the same situation. What method does non dipstick owners use when changing their oil?

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:04 am

Superb write up :thumbsup:
sk93 wrote: 1x 36mm Socket (although I ended up using a 38mm, so skip to step 7 and check first if you need to buy one!)

Step 7
Carefully unscrew the oil filter cover using the 36mm socket and lift slightly, allowing the oil still in the filter to drain:

Is anyone able to confirm if it's a 36m or 38mm socket for removing the oil filter cover? Just wanting to clarify before I go ahead and buy the wrong one...

I've already done an additional (outside of official servicing) oil/filter change at the start of this year (IMO 2 years is too long on the same oil) but I used my father-in-law's tools, etc. I'm now equipping myself for doing these oil changes and home and want to ensure I have the right bits before embarking on it...
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:28 am

It's 100% guaranteed a 36mm socket. Ideally get a 6 faced one so it doesnt round the corners of the cap 'nut'.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

a11y
Lifer
Lifer

Post by a11y » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:21 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:It's 100% guaranteed a 36mm socket. Ideally get a 6 faced one so it doesnt round the corners of the cap 'nut'.
Thanks cj :thumbsup:
::::: e90 330i M Sport :::::

blackredz4

Post by blackredz4 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:15 pm

i m doing mine tomorrow, i got a small green o ring in my filter kit (bmw) have non of you changed this ? and my filter cap is 86 mm 16 sides ive brought a special tool for the job

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:52 am

blackredz4 wrote:i m doing mine tomorrow, i got a small green o ring in my filter kit (bmw) have non of you changed this ? and my filter cap is 86 mm 16 sides ive brought a special tool for the job
I think the green "o" ring was integral with my filter.
It's a while since I last changed the oil, but it's due at the end of the month, so I'll have a looksee :)

BTW - All the pics should be up and working again - sorry about that!

Z8Cookie

Post by Z8Cookie » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:15 pm

Is Castrol Edge 0W30 Oil still the recomended oil? I am sure I saw 10W60 recomended somewhere else.
08 Z4MR. Ruby Black. AFE. Aero Sills. ACS Strut Brace. Stubby.

playalistic

Post by playalistic » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:51 pm

Z8Cookie wrote:Is Castrol Edge 0W30 Oil still the recomended oil? I am sure I saw 10W60 recomended somewhere else.
This how-to was regarding non-M engined cars. For ours we need Castrol TWS 10w60

Z8Cookie

Post by Z8Cookie » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:42 pm

playalistic wrote:
Z8Cookie wrote:Is Castrol Edge 0W30 Oil still the recomended oil? I am sure I saw 10W60 recomended somewhere else.
This how-to was regarding non-M engined cars. For ours we need Castrol TWS 10w60
Doh! I should have spotted that in the photos! :oops:
08 Z4MR. Ruby Black. AFE. Aero Sills. ACS Strut Brace. Stubby.

playalistic

Change your Air, Oil and Oil Filter

Post by playalistic » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:35 am

haroldbrock wrote:Based on my experience, I change oil every 7500 mph. But there are some people that are using the 5000mph style. A dirty oil would harm your engine and changing it once in a while is the best solution. According to the proper "how to change engine oil and filter", car users normally change their oil in the range of 5000 - 7500.
Same here. But don't go on the E89 forum or you'll have a heart attack. Some of those haven't changed their oil (never mind a service) in over 20k miles :|

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk