Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

AUX DIY

BlackSapphireZ

AUX DIY

Post by BlackSapphireZ » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:23 pm

don't buy one for the z4..it's like $70! one for the E46 is only $32 with club discount at Tischer BMW

1)take the vent out (use another DIY)

2)unscrew two screws on the headunit and pull out.

3)insert the cable into back of the head unit. If there is a black plug already occupying the space, remove it and insert the AUX cable. I believe it is for a CD changer

4)POP open the ashtray, unscrew 1 screw and slowly pry apart the console w/buttons

5)take the aux cable and drop it behind the headunit and should drop down to where you can grab and pull from bottom

6)drill a hole on the ashtray on the slanted part(just my preference) big enough for the aux cable to go through, then POP out the empty flat part with a hole thingy and get rid of the plastic cone that is behind it.

7)put the aux cable through, put the face on, screw the face on and you are done

parchis06

Re: AUX DIY

Post by parchis06 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:22 pm

i have an 03 z4 3.0 roadster.
it dosen't have a cd changer only cd player

can this be done on mine?

does the computer in the car need to be reinitialized?

is it just plug and play?

dose the auxiliar signal just apear in the MODE selection after you plug it in?

ianreeves

Post by ianreeves » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:22 pm

Yes it can, I did it to my 03 Z4 3 weeks ago.

The plug fits into the rear of the head unit, there is no reinitialization.

So yes it's plug and play :D

bsmith_tsu

Post by bsmith_tsu » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:24 pm

I did this with my 03 Z4 2.5 using the part from http://www.bavauto.com (part number 82 11 0 142 174). The hardest part (for me) was getting it plugged in to the back of the head unit. This is because I could never get my air vent removed to then pull the head unit out. I popped the plastic cover from underneath the center of the dash, and went in through that way. I then had to figure out how to remove the wires from the back of the head unit without a visual. After that it took me forever to get it plugged back in. It is a plug and play- after you get it hooked up, press the MODE button until AUX appears. Here is my XM setup: http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2327
Brian
Previous owner of
2003 Z4 2.5i
AUX, Sound Generator, Clear 3rd Brake and Sides, Stubby

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:30 pm

Installed the Aux input in FnI's car yesterday, it is only a 30 minute job at the most, depending on how you want to go about it. I prefer to recommend the Aux input cable made for the MINI Cooper, half the price of the "BMW" version, and it can be mounted anywhere you like. Here is a pic of the final assembly:

The cord hanging down is the interconnect cable from my MP3 player, all that is actually visible of the Aux input cable, is the small round jack mounted on the panel. :thumbsup:
I redid mine also, in the same spot, so that I do not have to have the ashtray open all the time and it is less conspicuous. The back of the radio can be accessed from that panel underneath the A/C controls or by removing the vents and unscrewing 2 screws that hold the radio in. I will provide pics of that if anyone wants.

Cheers!
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

fire-n-ice

Post by fire-n-ice » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:46 pm

Like Ship, I have some really great freinds. Completely disobeying instructions, Mr. and Mrs. Ovrkll bought me an aux input...probably because they're sick of hearing me bitch about radio stations!

For some reason, we were unable to get the metal tabs to release via the vents, so we just took the panel off and went in from that way. Ovrkll's hands were too big..hm, wonder if what they say about large hands is true??...anyway, because my hands are small, I was able to connect it from the underside which I can see would be a pain if you had larger hands. Ovrkll drilled the hole for me in the panel and finished it off, thank you sweetie Image Mrs. O was awesome, she put up with our crap, hung with us all day in the garage and dealt with my obsession about cleaning interiors better then most women would - she's an awesome lady :) .

Can't wait to see if it works, gotta get the proper cables and stuff...
In loving memory of TJ. "618 - Out of service and at home"

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:49 pm

:friends: That's what friends are for :) :cheers:
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:18 pm

ovrkll, that was an awesome thing to do, looks good in that panel too 8)

grdz4roadster

Post by grdz4roadster » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:51 am

How easy is it to pull out the panel under the A/C controls and what is the best way to pry it off without scratching the panel and surrounding dash?
2006 3.0i Mods so far: Perma Plate, OEM Wind Def. & A/W Mats, Int. Xenons, Aux Input, Stubby Ant. & BMW mobility kit Mods to be done: Silverstar Ultra Lights, Chrome tips & 18" Rims (TBD)

ianreeves

Post by ianreeves » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:09 am

Just get your finger nails under it, comes off easily.

HANDGRAPHICS

Post by HANDGRAPHICS » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:19 am

Heres my 2 cents...thx to ovrkll for the MINI idea..... just for shits and giggles was at dealer and asked for a quote to install aux input in uderpanel instead of ashtray.... came back at $310 :rofl: searched through here and the went to local MINI dealer and for $42 with tax plus about 1/2 hr labor (15 min for the damn vents alone) and presto $268 to put towards my new shoes.... :thumbsup:

kit from MINI (cable, faceplate, screws, wire ties) part #82 11 0 153 367
back of underpanel
faceplate installed with 2 enclosed self tapping screws
plug it in to the back of radio
test prior to replacing head unit and vents
finished product
:happyclap:

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:29 am

Looks good! Glad to be of help :)
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:55 am

I installed my Aux installation. Right now it is using the ashtray replacement, until it get a little warmer for the jack to be relocated.

One thing I have noticed is that the music from my IPod is better sounding than what was coming out of the radio or CD.
Drives 2008 Z4MC (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:26 am

put mine in a similar location but without the faceplate. My install was slightly more complicated as I had to take the pins out of the plug and put them together with the existing plug for the bluetooth.

sounds great and much better than the fm transmitter i was using :)
Last edited by gannet on Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

grdz4roadster

Post by grdz4roadster » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:19 am

I just received the Aux audio Input (Part no. 82 11 0 149 389 for the E46 3 Series) from dealerfit.com for $32.59 plus shipping. I'll be installing it this weekend...can't wait. What size drill bit did everyone use to drill the hole in the cover for the aux input? Also, did you drill from the outside of the cover in or from the inside of the cover out? I just want to make sure I do this install with minimal scratches, blemishes and/or mistakes...thanks.
2006 3.0i Mods so far: Perma Plate, OEM Wind Def. & A/W Mats, Int. Xenons, Aux Input, Stubby Ant. & BMW mobility kit Mods to be done: Silverstar Ultra Lights, Chrome tips & 18" Rims (TBD)