Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

AUX DIY

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Re: AUX DIY

Post by gannet » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:30 am

Dont remember but I think I followed the instructions the dealer printed of (for a Z4 part...) which say an 8mm drill bit for the main hole and 3mm for the two face plate holes (if you use that bit - i didnt)

Good Luck :)
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

grdz4roadster

Post by grdz4roadster » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:54 am

grdz4roadster wrote:I just received the Aux audio Input (Part no. 82 11 0 149 389 for the E46 3 Series) from dealerfit.com for $32.59 plus shipping. I'll be installing it this weekend...can't wait. What size drill bit did everyone use to drill the hole in the cover for the aux input? Also, did you drill from the outside of the cover in or from the inside of the cover out? I just want to make sure I do this install with minimal scratches, blemishes and/or mistakes...thanks.
Installation Frustration...
It was very easy to remove the vent (5 minutes) and it also took less than 5 minutes to get the head unit out and the lower cover plate off. I unplugged the CD changer wire from the back and plugged in the Aux Input. I hooked up my iPod and pressed the Mode button on the head unit and discovered that it was not showing an AUX mode. I unplugged the Aux input from the head unit and compared it to the CD changer wire and noticed the AUX input had only 10 pin sockets as opposed to the 12 pin sockets on the CD changer. This must be the problem. Therefore, in my case, the E46 Aux input wire from dealerfit.com did not work for me and I will be returning that next week.

I've since ordered the Aux input for the MINI (Part no. 82 11 0 153 367) from bavauto.com. Hopefully this one will be the right part! Wish me luck.

By the way, how quickly does bavauto.com deliver? I chose the UPS ground option. Oh well, no hurry here anyways...I won't be driving the Z in this cold and snowy Chicago weather.
2006 3.0i Mods so far: Perma Plate, OEM Wind Def. & A/W Mats, Int. Xenons, Aux Input, Stubby Ant. & BMW mobility kit Mods to be done: Silverstar Ultra Lights, Chrome tips & 18" Rims (TBD)

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:40 am

grdz4roadster wrote:
grdz4roadster wrote: in my case, the E46 Aux input wire from dealerfit.com did not work for me and I will be returning that next week.
I thought I had heard of that problem before in a few instances. The MINI cable is a proven substitute for the Z4 Aux input cable, and I am sure that you will be enjoying your system again soon :)
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:13 pm

grdz4roadster wrote:
grdz4roadster wrote:I just received the Aux audio Input (Part no. 82 11 0 149 389 for the E46 3 Series) from dealerfit.com for $32.59 plus shipping. I'll be installing it this weekend...can't wait. What size drill bit did everyone use to drill the hole in the cover for the aux input? Also, did you drill from the outside of the cover in or from the inside of the cover out? I just want to make sure I do this install with minimal scratches, blemishes and/or mistakes...thanks.
It was very easy to remove the vent (5 minutes) and it also took less than 5 minutes to get the head unit out and the lower cover plate off. I unplugged the CD changer wire from the back and plugged in the Aux Input. I hooked up my iPod and pressed the Mode button on the head unit and discovered that it was not showing an AUX mode. I unplugged the Aux input from the head unit and compared it to the CD changer wire and noticed the AUX input had only 10 pin sockets as opposed to the 12 pin sockets on the CD changer. This must be the problem. Therefore, in my case, the E46 Aux input wire from dealerfit.com did not work for me and I will be returning that next week.

I've since ordered the Aux input for the MINI (Part no. 82 11 0 153 367) from bavauto.com. Hopefully this one will be the right part! Wish me luck.

By the way, how quickly does bavauto.com deliver? I chose the UPS ground option. Oh well, no hurry here anyways...I won't be driving the Z in this cold and snowy Chicago weather.

I had the same problem with the E46 unit. I just went ahead and bought the one for the Z4. It DID have a 12pin socket and works Great.....
Drives 2008 Z4MC (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

2 Zero
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 2 Zero » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:23 am

grdz4roadster wrote:

If you take the plug apart and plug it in as close as posable to the center of the radio 3 series part works just fine.
Here is the link from the orginal install before BMW had an adapter for the Z4.

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e85/3902352-1.html

My Pictures:

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e85/3903056-1.html

I never did understand why more folks don't install the plug either where I did by the shifter or in the well under the E-Brake handle. That is where you are going to leave the iPod most of the time anyway why have the cord lay over the shifter??
Out driving my car!!
See ya on the road!!

grdz4roadster

Post by grdz4roadster » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:30 pm

2 Zero wrote: If you take the plug apart and plug it in as close as possible to the center of the radio 3 series part works just fine.
Here is the link from the orginal install before BMW had an adapter for the Z4.

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e85/3902352-1.html

My Pictures:

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e85/3903056-1.html

I never did understand why more folks don't install the plug either where I did by the shifter or in the well under the E-Brake handle. That is where you are going to leave the iPod most of the time anyway why have the cord lay over the shifter??
2Zero...thanks for the tip! I followed your advice, took apart the plug and it worked! Now I have to call bavauto.com and cancel my order. Thanks again!
2006 3.0i Mods so far: Perma Plate, OEM Wind Def. & A/W Mats, Int. Xenons, Aux Input, Stubby Ant. & BMW mobility kit Mods to be done: Silverstar Ultra Lights, Chrome tips & 18" Rims (TBD)

2 Zero
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 2 Zero » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:46 pm

Cool glad to help!!
Out driving my car!!
See ya on the road!!

hugepiece

Post by hugepiece » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:37 pm

I did mine yesterday, I took out the assembly from the centre console and then drilled from the bottom up. Actually there was a helpful indentation already there with the correct size, probably as this was a factory option. Job done!

grdz4roadster

Post by grdz4roadster » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:21 am

Here's a picture of my installed Aux Input...

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:52 am

:happyclap:
Looks good! :thumbsup:
'06 Interlagos Blue Z4M

Ben.

Post by Ben. » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:44 am

SO, looks like you guys have talked me in to it.
I will have to unplug the 6 disc changer to put the Aux connection in....?
Is there a way of having both? Would be nice to have the changer and iPod.
Ex-Z owner

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:05 pm

you can have both, I have :)

The 2 plugs that fit in the back of the stereo are the same - think they have maybes 10 holes in them. The Bluetooth occupies 3 (I think), the AUX 2. It is just a case of removing the pins from one of the plugs and then placing them in the corresponding holes in the other plug, effectively merging the plugs together.

Sounds more complicated than it is! Wish Id taken some photos now...

Once done it just appears as an extra source on your radio.

Hope that helps :)
Last edited by gannet on Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Ben.

Post by Ben. » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:22 pm

gannet wrote:you can have both, I have :)

The 2 plugs that fit in the back of the stereo are the same - think they have maybes 10 holes in them. The CD changer occupies 3 (I think), the AUX 2. It is just a case of removing the pins from one of the plugs and then placing them in the corresponding holes in the other plug, effectively merging the plugs together.

Sounds more complicated than it is! Wish Id taken some photos now...

Once done it just appears as an extra source on your radio.

Hope that helps :)
Nice one, thanks.
Something for the to do list
Ex-Z owner

warrenden

Post by warrenden » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:18 pm

I have just done the install and found the volume is quiet. It's just about OK but so much quieter than the radio that you need to adjust on switching which is not ideal.

On BMWs other than the E85 there appears to be a facility to preset the Aux volume level from 1 - 5 but I can’t find this on my E85 radio head (“professional” with DVD sat nav).

Has anyone found how to preset the sound for the Aux socket on the E85?

Andrew

cappiolli

Post by cappiolli » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:52 pm

i am thinking of following you by installing the aux/ipod input. but by doing this will it void my warrenty?

thanks
2007 sport and i love it!!!