Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

AUX DIY

Tweed

Re: AUX DIY

Post by Tweed » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:08 pm

That's exactly where I'm going to be fitting mine, though I'm planning to take a latex mould from my universal dock, and using that to fill the bottom of the ash tray with resin, creating an in-car universal dock (very similar to a spec.dock).

Issue is, there's not a lot of room for an iPhone under the over-hang of the dash, so got to be careful and get it as low in the tray as possible

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:47 pm

Tweed wrote:That's exactly where I'm going to be fitting mine, though I'm planning to take a latex mould from my universal dock, and using that to fill the bottom of the ash tray with resin, creating an in-car universal dock (very similar to a spec.dock).

Issue is, there's not a lot of room for an iPhone under the over-hang of the dash, so got to be careful and get it as low in the tray as possible
Be interesting to hear how you get on Tweed. The latex mold and resin sounds good and I've been looking at Spec Docks online (at $150 a pop). Have also considered getting some of that air drying clay, fill the ashtray to the spec I need (complete with 'slot'), leave to dry, paint black and use as a removable stabilizer. Maverick choice, but you never know. I've also ordered a cheap ipod dock from eBay so I can disassemble and play.

Space wise I hear you loud and clear as I tried both my ipod and iphone earlier using the foam test I did. Should be just okay if I leave the depth as it is already.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

sk93
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sk93 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:37 am

Have you considered putting it in the phone indent in the centre console door?
I've got mine routed there and it works great - wanna change track? just flip down the door and its right there easy to use.
don't want to disconnect it when you leave the car? just close the door and it's locked safely away out of site :)
:zzzz:

atreidy

Post by atreidy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:46 am

sk93 wrote:Have you considered putting it in the phone indent in the centre console door?
I've got mine routed there and it works great - wanna change track? just flip down the door and its right there easy to use.
don't want to disconnect it when you leave the car? just close the door and it's locked safely away out of site :)
I really want to do this and route the cable to the rear centre console as well. How did you do it?

Can you please post pix or detailed instructions?

Also, anyone try rigging 12 volts from the rear somehow so you can charge your phone in the rear centre console?

Thanks!

atreidy

Post by atreidy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:09 am

Guys.. just an update.. I did all of this quite successfully

I bought the mini part from Bavarian autosport

I didn't remove vents, rather within 5 minutes was able to insert the plug through the bottom panel (above the ashtray)

I routed the wire to the rear center storage console. Removed the shifter, rear storage console in order to make this happen. Only broke a couple small clips that didn't seem to affect rattles or fitment. The replacement piece is 66 bucks but I won't bother unless I have rattles.

Took 2 hours from beginning to end and I struggled looking for torx screwdriver and figuring stuff out. I could do it again in 1-1.5 hrs leisurely.

Great mod

Volume is a bit low and sounds thin compared to CD. I'm an audiophile though so might be more picky. Still great. Just have to turn up the volume big time

next mod is pedals!

XGE

Post by XGE » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:12 pm

Hello

I need help.

I have read the 15 pages and still doesn't exactly know what I have to do.

I have the SatNav, Top hifi with DSP or Carver, CD changer and Telephone (with bluetooth?) : I need the Aux cable (the Mini one) but there is a pin to disconnect to avoid loosing the SatNav guidance voice...can anyone tell me wich pin to remove or change please.

For low noise issue connecting the Ipod with jack/jack, I recommand to find a jack/line out cable...the sound is perfect that way.

andyaltz

Post by andyaltz » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:47 pm

Hi all, im a newbie here as you will all know and have read all posts. I feel i will be quite confident fitting the input only question i do have is where is cheapest place to get the kit as i have noticed some people saying they bought it for $29 only a couple of months ago, at bmw they say £45 and the kit for the mini is same price also. Cheapest i have found is £35 on ebay plus £6 p+p so not much cheaper in the end. All answers greatly appreciatted :D

XGE

Post by XGE » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:07 pm

I did it this week end...almost impossible to take the central vents out as they previously had been teared off and back with glue :thumbsdown:
So I have the AUX but I have lost the SatNav guidance voice :headbang:

MAS646

Post by MAS646 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:45 pm

Hi guys!

I've built the cable, well most of it, but I'm waiting to put the jack plug on until I figure out where its going, did anyone manage to put it in the centre glove box area? Did it work well? Photos or any advise on just how to remove the tunnel would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
55 3.0 sapphire black, 108's, red leather, heated seats, clarion media, Aux input,

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:37 pm

Hi,
I am new to this forum, I am hoping to fit an Aux.. socket to my 2004 Z4, was planning on using the Mini one(p/n 82 11 0 153 367) supplied from Bavauto...I emailed them and they said it wasn't compatible with the Z4 ! does anyone know if it really works on Z4 and they are just giving the "correct answer" or what :? ??

Thanks
Fixit man

fitnessfanatic

Post by fitnessfanatic » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:26 pm

Hi, could someone advise me on what size hole i need to drill on the panel please?

Dr _Rod

Post by Dr _Rod » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:33 pm

Hi still had problems with the DIY lead think the capacitors as spec wrong!! - poor sound quality !! :thumbsdown:

Saw an eBay advert selling a similar lead and contacted seller

He has Z4 lead at good price cheaper than dealer asked some question regarding fitting blue tooth and no problems order – lead works great!!

Contact details for great seller is :-

[email protected]

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:19 pm

andyaltz wrote:Hi all, im a newbie here as you will all know and have read all posts. I feel i will be quite confident fitting the input only question i do have is where is cheapest place to get the kit as i have noticed some people saying they bought it for $29 only a couple of months ago, at bmw they say £45 and the kit for the mini is same price also. Cheapest i have found is £35 on ebay plus £6 p+p so not much cheaper in the end. All answers greatly appreciatted :D

Hi,

I know it's a bit late ...but I got a lead (PC7-BMW-01 AUX) from incartunes.co.uk for about £8 for my 2004 Z4 and it worked ok, they did need to send me a second one with a resistor installed to get the "aux" to come up on my radio when I scrolled through the mode switch.

Talk to Dave he's very helpfull

Regards.
fixit man

brawnyblue

Post by brawnyblue » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:52 pm

I also did the safe install and was about to drive the car off a cliff because I couldn't get the vents out to safe my life. Then I had the brilliant idea to bend a key ring (see picture below) to pull down the clips holding the vents. I found and had the clips within seconds, then used a screwdriver as a wedge and voila, job done

planetibo

Post by planetibo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:35 am

I installed a cable to DIY with 330kohms resistance and capacitors 220nF.
I have NAV PRO HIFI DSP PRO 10 speakers.
At this outlet, I plug the iphone with a dock cable.

I compared a music on CD, and auxiliary input: Sound through the AUX lack of bass...

I have use this capacitors:

This capacitor is better?

I have test without resitors and without capacitors: No AUX...
I have test with resitors and without capacitors: Aux appears, but, when i plug the iphone, I hear the sound half a second and AUX disappears.
I'm surprised because this person does not use capacitors. The sound is better without capacitors.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/attach ... arness.pdf

What capacitor should I use so it does not have a high pass filter ?